[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Recharging standard non-rechargeable alkaline batteries

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: 0346256_m3.jpg (5KB, 227x227px) Image search: [Google]
0346256_m3.jpg
5KB, 227x227px
Years ago I had a battery charger designed specifically to recharge standard non-rechargeable standard alkaline batteries. It apparently worked by "pulse charging" them and you would get ~10 charge cycles before they died completely. Never once did they leak.

I'm wondering what the science behind this was because I can't find any modern chargers designed for non-rechargeable batteries.

Could I just put normal batteries into a NiCad charger and put it on a timer switch to turn on and off every few minutes so that they don't overheat?
>>
You can still get the odd universal charger out there for about $30 or so, will charge an alkaline but at a small risk of rupture and shitting itself over everything. Generally you want to keep an eye on the temperature, hot to the touch is very bad but they will get warm
>>
Have got one. It works but they do tend to leak if left long after charge plus the capacity goes down fast.
>>
bend a paper clip into a C and connect the pos and neg
>>
>>1235898
Yep. always been able to.
The problem is outgassing. Charge too fast and the cells start to gas, can't handle the pressure and leak. They can even get flip-flopped. That's usually due to having one weak battery in a device that uses 5 or more batteries. Hence folks telling you to replace all batteries at the same time.
Rechargeable alkaline are just batteries with more protection and usually a vendor unique charger station.
The thing that really pissed me off was reading the battery specs and finding out that the expensive "e squared" and regular coppertop Duracell are the same exact spec.
>>
File: the last book youll ever need.jpg (28KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
the last book youll ever need.jpg
28KB, 500x374px
Just get an LM317, tune it to put out like 1.75v, and put a 2k resistor or something in series with the battery.
>>
>>1235898

https://archive.org/details/FM55-506-1

read this before burning down your house. If you don't know anything about electricity, be a fucking pleb and buy rechargeable batteries. Most non rechargeable batteries build up contaminates when the power is drained, this can cause a lot of heat and other issues. Also what anon said above, off gassing. Non rechargeable batteries are not designed for the amount of off gassing that is produced from charging a battery
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.