[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

5.7 Vortec Rebuild

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_5982.jpg (965KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5982.jpg
965KB, 3264x2448px
I'm looking to rebuild my engine because my intake gasket blew, and it's an old motor. I've found a kit on Northern Auto, but I'd like some higher end parts. Should I just go with the full package, or piece my own together with higher-end plugs, injectors, ect?
>>
Just do the intake gasket, don't tear down the motor unless you have to, or have a second car because you could very well screw yourself. Not trying to be a dick but it seems like you do not have the most experience so I would just do the intake gasket and hope that solves your problem
>>
>>1235256
Intake is upper, just do the gasket and gtfo.
>>
How long has the intake gasket been faulty? Is the engine consuming a lot of oil? Are you looking at rebuilding the whole motor?

It's most likely going to be easier to find a healthy motor to swap in than rebuild the whole thing. The 5.7 is cheap and abundant. It's also kind of a pile of shit... Plugs and injectors won't do a goddamn thing in terms of improving the power.

If you go the replacement route, go through the top end of the new motor before you put it in. Injectors, fuel system, gaskets up there are all shit. That's why people prophylactically replace the whole spider assembly when anything goes wrong. I've never seen one that wasn't chock full of soot and oil.
>>
Op can you elaborate on what you are trying to accomplish with the rebuild. Intake gasket is easy. Unless the engine is giving symptoms that it's fucked, doesn't seem like there is a reason for the rebuild. Now if you're trying to make more power, that might be a different convo
>>
>>1235289
Yes, the engine does burn oil, not copious amounts, but enough that makes me want to do the rings. I'm planning on doing a full rebuild regardless of the state of everything else, anyway. The gasket's been bad for 3-4 months, but it's only been driven once since it went.
>>
>>1235259
>>1235356
Two reasons for a rebuild:
I don't know the mileage on the engine, since it was swapped some time ago, and it's beginning to burn fluids.

I'm also doing it for the experience. If I fuck something up, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
>>
>>1235388
What is the oil coma upturn rate of your motor?
>>
>>1235810
Oil consumption rate, sorry mobile sucks
>>
>>1235388
>chevy
>burning fluids
That's how you can tell the engine was properly broken in after assembly

Cracked
Heads
Engine
Valve
Rattle
Oil
Leaks
Every
Time
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.