[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone cut their own hair here? $20+ and a tip and the wait time

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 16

File: hair.jpg (13KB, 302x335px) Image search: [Google]
hair.jpg
13KB, 302x335px
Anyone cut their own hair here? $20+ and a tip and the wait time is too much for something I need twice a month or more. I have clippers and scissors already, all I want to do is a simple part, doesn't have to be a hard fade or anything. Any good guides out there? It seems like getting the back would be pretty difficult.
>>
>>1234983
i cut my own hair now for ~7 years
wash first so its wet, pull it taut, cut as required. repeat.
to begin i cut it right into the wood, real short and for the first fortnight everyone tells me it looks shit and patchy and big bald spots but im a real function over form kind of guy, don't give a fuck.
received clippers as a present from family, much quicker than scissors, just clipper all over, slightly longer on the top, shorter back and sides. also its great for shaving when you only have a disposable and left it growing longer than you should have.
>>
>>1234998
the way you described it makes me think of you as a retarded greasy haired autistic high schooler with unkept hair

>it sucks for 2 weeks but then it's acceptable
>>
>>1234983
try being a fat slob instead and get a haircut every 3 months
>>
>>1234998
Bruh I want it to look good, not like I attacked my head with some clippers.
>>
>>1234983
I do, I'm definitely not skilled so I always go with something very simple like a buzzcut (but not too short).
What I do is just to mow everything down evenly using the clippers with a comb somewhere between 12-16 mm. After that you may want to to fix the sides (especially near the ears if you used a bigger comb) and the nape.

The sides can be improved giving a second pass with a shorter comb, but the difference in the cut will be sharp (your head may look more "squared" than usual), a fancier but still very easy solution is to use a pair of angled comb (the ones in pic) to fade it like shown in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyXNcGUFp7A

The real pain in the nape's hairline, you will need a big second mirror at your back (or maybe a camera streaming to a screen in front of you). If you live with someone his help for this step would be very convenient. I sometimes get a (more or less) slightly asymmetrical hairline on this step, but nothing too evident.
>>
File: AsXtf.png (101KB, 494x167px) Image search: [Google]
AsXtf.png
101KB, 494x167px
>>1235022
>The real pain in the nape's hairline
is*
I always opt for the round hairline, but it's the hardest to do by yourself (and in case of error the asymmetry may be evident). The "tapered" one is probably the most easy.
>>
>>1235022
for the nape try taking a comb and shaving along it.
might not be even but it will be straight, and look acceptable if you hold it at a shallow angle

>>1235023
blocked is easiest, taper needs a comb but you can do blocked with anything straight
>>
>>1235004
does making insulting assumptions about anonymous strangers make you feel big?
the highlight of my being bullied as a kid was being pushed down some stairs fracturing both of my legs. nobody believed me now my bones are fused wrongly and they click while i walk as the tendon snaps over it.
i don't give a fuck what my hair looks like, i don't give a fuck what anyone thinks about, i don't give a fuck what you think about me.
my hair isn't greasy because it would annoy me too much if i didn't wash it. hey maybe i am autistic.
>>
>>1235024
>for the nape try taking a comb and shaving along it.
>might not be even but it will be straight, and look acceptable if you hold it at a shallow angle
Uhm, this sounds more convenient than using a finger as a guide like I do, will try.
>>
>>1234983
>$20+ and a tip
Jesus Christ anon, stop going to hairdressers and especially gay hairdressers. Find an actual, real barber that does basic cuts for like $12-15 or go to fucking sports clips or some other shitty chain that does it for $10.
>>
>>1235022
pretty much this

$20 will be enough to get a reasonable kit, https://www.amazon.com/Wahl-Color-Complete-Cutting-79300-400T/dp/B000JNQSIQ

it will more than pay for itself

>>1235034
$10-15?!

Jesus Christ anon, we're not all made of money

go to one of the beauty training programs and get it done there for free
>>
>>1235050
>go to one of the beauty training programs and get it done there for free
Enjoy your fucked up hair.
>>
>>1235053
doing it yourself vs having it done by someone paying to learn the trade
>>
>>1235053
>fucked up hair
it is incredibly hard to fuck up mens hair, unless they try some arty bs then you'll be fine

i tend to grow my hair fairly long before getting it cut so if I go to a student salon they often cut it twice, first to whatever fashionable shit and then to what i actually want
part of the deal, so they say
>>
File: 1280x720-0r5.jpg (68KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1280x720-0r5.jpg
68KB, 1280x720px
>>1234983
>Anyone cut their own hair here?

I've been cutting my own hair for about five years.
I use an AirCut device. It looks like a blow dryer but it sucks instead of blowing.
Just inside the opening are the clipper blades.
Multiple tubes of various length are included to force the cutting at a particular length.
I only use the very short angled tube (for around my ears and the back/neckline) and the next longer tube (~1") for the sides. Then to the ~1-1/2" tube for the rest.
After five years I've learned to hold it away from my scalp for slightly longer cuts on top

For trimming my neckline with shaving clippers I formed a length of copper tubing something like a pair of glasses.
I put the tubing on like glasses over my ears but backwards so the tube lays in a flattened U at my neckline.
Then I just clip against the bottom edge of the tube for a nice even hairline.

I paid about $100 USD for the AirCut package and haven't had a professional haircut since ($20 per year)
I oil the blades after each use (weekly) and it still works fine after five years.
>>
File: 1502436274971.jpg (50KB, 500x745px) Image search: [Google]
1502436274971.jpg
50KB, 500x745px
>>1234983
I'm black so it's just an afro, and I give myself a #3 with an electric clipper when my hair gets too long for my bosses at the military. My hair gets very wooly and dense but basically grows straight out so running a clipper all over still works even at longer lengths.

But white people hair, I could see it being an issue if you're not just going for a buzz cut.

But if you don't mind being a jarhead or otherwise cutting it short (which can look good if you're not a meathead otherwise, i super dug that look when one of my old roommates had it going on, hnnnnnnnngh) a clipper will do you good

You don't have to spend more than 30 bucks for one. I got mine for 20 on special and it came with all the different lengths of guards, angled guards for around the ear, and a little jar of oil and an applicator brush. It even has a little vinyl storage/travel case.

Just make sure to fucking crank the power on the thing though, if such an option is available. Clippers are typically weak and awful out of the box, but have an adjustment screw to give the motor more oomph.

As well, you can usually adjust the length of the blades (one blade can move back and forth). The manual for mine advises not extending it unless you're a pro and want to fine tune the cut, because a shorter blade means you can just extend it when it dulls instead of taking it to be professionally sharpened (which is basically as much as a new clipper) but I've found that longer blades gives it more cutting power.

My hair is very coarse though so a fair haired wyt boi might have fine performance with a clipper right out of the box. Still, it could help to make the aforementioned adjustments if those features exist on the specific model you get regardless of how fair your hair is.

tl;dr clippers are good and you should get you one. If they work for sheep, gays, and sailors, they'll work for you
>>
>>1235023
honestly I just attack my neck with a normal shaving razor to line up the back of my neck in the blocked fashion. No one's complained about it yet, and these are people who complain when I don't shave the back of my neck at all.

Razors are nice and straight so if you have good spatial sense (or a piece of string or flexible ruler to use as a guide) you can very easily just line up the razor and stroke down.

Just be sure to wash the area very well, neck stubble is literally worse than butt crack stubble
>>
https://youtu.be/A-AF_kiAvkE
>>
>>1235068

this was invented before, it was called the flow-bee or something, it attached to a vacuum, sucked the hair inside and cut it. notice you dont see them anymore because it was a good idea but stupid and cumbersome to drag out a vacuum, hook this shit up and then use it.
>>
>>1234983
Protip: get the proper Wahl or Conair whole kit.
Use the tapered L or R guards around each around both ears, but backwards on the "wrong" ear. Big guards for top, smaller for sides and back.

Use masking tape for the neck shaving, might need a smaller "beard trimming" Remington also. Double mirrors, one hand-held one needed for back stuff, especially a few tries at setting the masking tape.

Then do it twice before anyone sees you, like night , then morning. Good luck, I remember being a poorfag :)
>>
>>1235147
As someone who does cut hair, I bet it's because the clippers inside don't get cleaned and oiled right, then someone gets their hair trapped in a vacuum attachment.

Best tip for cutting your own hair, don't get fancy. Do the sides with one clip guard, or no clip guards at all, do the top with one clip guard, learn to fade them together. Leave it at that.
>>
>>1234983
just shave your head every two months. its what I do.
>>
File: flowbee vs aircut.png (289KB, 1074x809px) Image search: [Google]
flowbee vs aircut.png
289KB, 1074x809px
>>1235147
flowbee is still being sold
aircut is not
flowbee attaches to vacuum
aircut is self-contained (creates its own vacuum)
>>
>>1234983
I have been cutting my hair for 3 years or so and anymore I go by feel and try different cuts and different guards. cut it this morning right now trying out 2-2.5-3 on sides moving up and 4 on top usually want it a bit longer on top, will probably do 5.
Really it takes some time to get used to doing it so you will look like shit
>>
I get a haircut once every 6-7 years. I usually go to a free college barber.
>>
>>1235068
>AirCut
>like a blow dryer but it sucks instead of blowing

It's the fucking suck-cut from Wayne's World m8y, top lel.
>>
File: IMG_4659.jpg (33KB, 600x315px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4659.jpg
33KB, 600x315px
>>1235317
>>
>>1234983
yes doing it for 5 years now, i just use a mirror and a barber scissor but i have curly hair so i cant give any tips on straight hair
>>
>>1234983
Number 3 all over.

In the garden, because lazy.

Blow off hair with compressor.
>>
File: 20170830_133952.jpg (537KB, 1034x1169px) Image search: [Google]
20170830_133952.jpg
537KB, 1034x1169px
I cut it myself, buzz cuts are almost impossible to fuck up. Takes maybe 20 minutes, a bit longer if I haven't done it in a while and need to do more touch-up around the back. Definitely worth it, the trimmer cost me like $30.
>>
>>1236101
>, buzz cuts are almost impossible to fuck up. Takes maybe 20 minutes, a bit longer

If you do buzz cuts, buy a flowbee or similar.

I bought one in the 80s. put a small vacuum cleaner under my sink and plugged it all in. Once a month or so I rev it all up and bam, 10 minutes later, perfect buzz cut, no mess, no muss.

I might prove this with pics tomorrow, maybe not. But it's the fact, jack. Once your haircuts become purely functional and no longer trying to be aesthetic, it's easy street. Instead of $30 bucks or more each week it's pretty much zero after your initial investment.

I did have to order three little bottles of oil at some point in the 30 plus years.
>>
>>1236101
>trimmer cost me like $30.

not bad, but the flowbee thing is that you buy a small vacuum cleaner that you dedicate to your buzzcuts, and you never have to clean anything up when you cut your hair. it's all in the vacuum bag, and it takes years to fill up a small one.
>>
>>1236106
>>1236107
Is this the designated shill thread?
>>
>>1236124
>Is this the designated shill thread?

yes.

pls lv.
>>
I have an old racist barber who you can give vague instructions and he gets it and even covers up your weird head shape and proto-bald spot. $12
>>
>ITT: People with shitty hair
>>
>>1236279
t./fa/ggot
>>
>>1236386
t.looks like an adult middle school fat kid
>>
>>1234983
Been cutting my own hair for a few months now. Got a good pair of Oster clippers with the comb attachments. I do a 1A around the sides and back to maybe 2 inches above the ear, then switch to a 2 and do another little bit, then a 3 and go higher, then a 4. Then i hit the top with a 6. It looks pretty fucking good and i can cut my hair every 2 weeks without shelling out money at the barber.

Don't buy cheap clippers, they aren't powerful enough and you'll end up looking like you have mange.
>>
>>1236544
except I'm not, why are you so convinced about it? we are all talking about simple cuts you can perform with clippers, not some elaborate hair fashion fuckery that is not possible to do on oneself even for professionals.
>>
Does shaving one's head count?
>Merkur long handle safety razor, $27.99
>Two 100 packs of Persona disposable blades, $9.99
>Three years without setting foot in a barber shop, priceless!
>>
I get a pair of scissors and take off what i want
Over the past two years i gotten better and now im practicing with slightly better equipment
>>
>>1235147
my dad bought a flowbee awhile back. he used it to cut both my brothers hair as well as my own. it works quite well desu. and it's easier than cleaning up 3 people's worth of hair
>>
>>1234983
Not getting free haircuts at the hairschool
>missing out on potential dates
>>
Get a girlfriend and get her to do it for you... ohhh wait
>>
>>1237229

>Get a girlfriend and get her to do it for you...

I know you were making a shitty joke but never ever let a woman cut your hair for you. Like 98% of the things women do, they think they are an expert but they suck at it.
>>
>>1235147
But you don't have to get in the car, drive to the cut joint, have somebody right up next to you, pay a shit ton for a shit haircut and then get back in your car and drive home.

I've use Flobee for years and I cut my hair in about 10 minutes.
>>
>>1237246
Lol, he may have just figured out that his girlfriend fucks things up so she never gets asked to help out...
>>
>>1237266
>have somebody right up next to you

I can just imagine the revulsion you feel while enduring this.
>>
>Doing a self shadow fade.
Nah fuck you nigga, I ain't fucking up my own hair.
>>
It's not so fucking difficult, just set the trimmer at the desired length and then take off some extra at the sides and neck.
>>
>>1234983

the jim morrison
comb it all back into a tail & hold it & cut it
>>
File: me_hair.jpg (486KB, 2286x1347px) Image search: [Google]
me_hair.jpg
486KB, 2286x1347px
STROY TIEM:

I used to be poor as shit, so I'd get cheep $10-$12 haircuts. Every time I'd get home and look in the mirror it was full of minor fuckups, so I started fixing the fuckups. After doing this a few times I realized I could just constantly maintain the haircut and never have to actually pay for one. 12 years later and I've still never paid for a haircut since. Probably saved couple thousand dollars. I use simple dept store electric clippers, a pretty nice beard/detail trimmer, and spend about $50 on nice Italian shears about 5 years ago finally. I've gotten so good at it now that I don't even need a mirror, I can literally cut my hair by feel. Usually it's 90% done in one go, then in the shower I'll feel out the uneven bits and have another look and do the touch-ups after.

I'm quite happy with this arrangement. People have asked me to cut their hair from time to time but I won't, I can't even hold the clippers the right way to cut someone else's hair. And honestly, all I ever did was look at haircuts and how peoples hair looks and then work it out. The key is to do nothing drastic, when I want to try something new I do a slight change on the next haircut and then a little more on the following one, etc. Anyone can do it with some effort †bh.

Pic is various haircuts over the last ~3 years or so.
>>
>>1234983

Yes, I've been doing this for 10 years now. I opt for the military haircut, which IMO fits my head shape. Bought a Babyliss E995 Pro, cost me about 50€, and has around 10 clippers of various lenght + L & R. I also cut my kid's hair, he loves it, and I get positive feedback from other parents, even though I decline requests to cut theirs, don't want to fuck up.

Here are my steps if you're interested:

* I change my bath tower every 2 weeks, so I make sure I'm about to get a clean one soon
* Grab the vaccuum in the area, but don't plug it in
* No shower first: so the grease will glue my hair, it avoids hair flying everywhere
* First clipper: 9mm, I cut all my head with it in front of the mirror
* Second clipper: L & R. Only upper sides, 2 passes.
* Third clipper: 3mm. Only sides. When I'm around the area I shaved with L&R, I keep the trimmer vertically so I don't mess with the fades.
* Shower time!
* Nice and clean, time to vaccuum everywhere.
* I use the dirty tower to mop areas where hair could be soaked with water. Keep the lady happy.
* Re-trim with 9mm quickly, then with 3mm again: none shall remain.
* I grab a mirror and a BIC razorblade, trying to cut the back of my head in round shape, then I do above the ears and behind them.
* Another quick shower, microhair irritate me when I put a shirt on
* I wash clippers and razorblade, brush the trimmer in the sink, and wipe around with the towel
* Put aftershave in the back and sides
* I'm done: another quick pass with the vaccuum, and I let the towel dry in the laundry room ready to be picked up for next laundry round.
>>
>>1237511
jesus fuck a buzzcut doesn't require this many bullet points. neat, you buzz your head down to a nice redneck polish with electric clippers. good job. a racoon could probably do that, and then post the story in one or two sentences.
>>
>>1234983
Been cutting my own hair for years. Saved me a ton of money that I could blow on cigarettes and lozenges.
>>
File: Fork20-18-29.png (181KB, 494x552px) Image search: [Google]
Fork20-18-29.png
181KB, 494x552px
>>1237615
>I could blow on cigarettes and lozenges.

lozenges?
>>
I cut my own hair, never hand someone money to do such an easy task!
>>
>>1237459
How do you do the back though?
>>
File: Fork20-18-41.png (108KB, 450x597px) Image search: [Google]
Fork20-18-41.png
108KB, 450x597px
>>1237688

1. mirror

2. nobody, meaning no fucking body, cares much about how the BACK of your head looks.
>>
>>1237688
Handheld mirror to check, the rest by feel. Depending on the style it can be relatively easy, but now that I'm growing it longer it's tougher. Slow and steady is the key!
>>
>>1235026
How old were you when they pushed you adown stairs?
>>
>>1237802
>>
>>1234983

Yeah I buzz it short #2 and then have a mirror to shave the back of my neck to make it square.

People say I look like a convict but whateve, saving 5 bucks a week
>>
>>1235026
>getting this mad over someone on 4chan saying you have greasy hair
lmfao
>>
>>1234983
I thought only complete scrubs would do this. Then found out coworker, VP at F500 company, does this. From what he described he used a #8 clipper head and just went over whole thing, then trimmed sides and back. He looked like a fuzz ball when done but was presentable.
>>
>>1237246
This. It took me too many years to realize women sucks at cutting men's hair.
>>
>>1234983
>>1237229
>>1237246

I bought these wahl clippers off of amazon. I got them for like $35 on sale, but there are others you can find cheaper. Honestly one of the best purchases I've made.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018C0MJS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought them because just like OP I was sick of waiting an hour and paying $20+tip. The first day I started to cut my hair my gf just watched and cringed as I proceeded to fuck up my hair. Eventually she took the clippers from my hands and cut my hair for me. It came out decent the first time and she's only messed up once. We ended up just cutting it shorter than normal to cover it up and after a week it was the normal length. She's been cutting my hair for 2 years now and honestly she's pretty good. Hairstyle is pic related but a little shorter on the top.
>>
I use just normal scissors, but I always keep my hair tied up anyways. I wash my hair first, wait a bit until its nice and moist, but not too wet. Then I comb my hair in a neat bunch, roughly cut a chunk of it off like a barbarian. Then I start cutting vertically. The key is cutting VERTICALLY when using scissors.

Then I comb it around evenly, cut any awkward strands, even things out and so on. Wait for it to dry, repeat, tie it up, see how it looks tied up, do some finishing touches and voila. Takes some time, but its better than paying for it. Nobody has ever said a damn thing about my hair so I assume its acceptable.
Cutting hair short on your own is a fucking nightmare, that's when I would just bite the bullet and go to a barber and ask them to fuck my shit up.
>>
>>1234983
>Buy clippers
>Put 3/8 inch attachment on
>BZZ BZZ until nothing else comes off
>Touch up with scissors and the smallest attachment
It's pretty easy.
>>
>>1235026
here
>>
>>1237827
how old are you now? grow up and develop yo'self sonnn!
>>
File: Photo on 11-09-17 at 8.08 PM #2.jpg (326KB, 912x1456px) Image search: [Google]
Photo on 11-09-17 at 8.08 PM #2.jpg
326KB, 912x1456px
>>1237459
Another success. Not my best work and needs a touch up on the back, but after a long day I'm surprised I didn't completely fuck it up.
>>
>>1240847
Kek.
>>
File: 4832.jpg (44KB, 600x783px) Image search: [Google]
4832.jpg
44KB, 600x783px
>>1242515
>>
>>1242519
not quite girlfran, but kek
>>
If you can stand this guy watch his videos on diy haircut. They helped me a lot to understand how easy it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTHH5xvQZyc
>>
>>1242599
Good advice, btu yes he's a bit annoying innit.
>>
>>1235053
Enjoy the smokin' 20 year old cosmetology school sluts cutting your hair. Protip: cosmo is for the girls that weren't smart enough for college.
>>
>>1234983
Does anyone else have local barbers that are cash-only? I started reading about this, apparently they are big offenders of skimming off the top. Kinda thought the fact I bring a cash tip would lead to a little convenience with being able to use a card.
>>
>>1237266

I've used a Flowbee for over 20 years. I love it. Quick and you get the exact same haircut every time. Pays for itself after about two haircuts. Even if it didn't, I'd prefer it because no barbers, no barber shop, no waiting.
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.