[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it viable to make an arcade stick without the stick? I spent

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: sfxtarcadestick.jpg (25KB, 640x417px) Image search: [Google]
sfxtarcadestick.jpg
25KB, 640x417px
Is it viable to make an arcade stick without the stick?

I spent to much of my youth playing fighting games on keyboards and got used to it, I could easily input hard commands like 360° and whathever those K9999 DM where. A couple years ago I trained a bit to use a dual shock or similar in a decent manner but I'm still better with the keyboard. With sticks, I can't do anything.

My idea is make the directionals on the right of the table, probably square buttons in a diamond shape, with the buttons in two straight rows on the left.

The only "stickless" stick I know is the Smash Box, which is based on the N64 controller made for Smash Bros, a game that doesn't require hard or complex directional inputs like it would in a, let's say, Street Fighter.

Will it be precise enough to give me the same feel of a keyboard?
Should I use Sanwa/Seimitsu or make some freakish half mechanical keyboard controller?
>>
And arcade joystick is just a stick that trips 4 momentary switches. You can definitely just replace it with 4 regular push-button switches.
>>
Consider looking up a hitbox controller, that's essentially an arcade stick with no stick, so you could probably buy one somewhere too if you wanted
>>
>>1234815
>>1234851
Exactly this
>>1234853
Disregard this, this isn't /buy/
But yeah, the joystick is basically just 4 buttons wired in a certain way. If your control board has 4 spare places, then you could just wire 4 buttons of your choice, maybe 25mm arcade buttons or cherry mechanicals in correct places and that would be all.
>>
>>1234862
Lol sorry dude, just thought he might want to know things like that exist out there since it sounded like he'd never heard of one. Now that he knows maybe he'll even go buy one. Props to him if he still builds one though.
>>
>>1234815
If you like the feel/size of keyboards you could pretty easily modify a standard fightstick with separate joystick by mounting in a mechanical numpad with it's controller and any unwanted switches pulled out.
>>
>And arcade joystick is just a stick that trips 4 momentary switches.

nope, a joystick can also do diagonals, e.g. left and up pressed at the same time.
>>
>>1234815
As a fightan player, I'd tell you to just practice using a stick, once you get used to it, a good stick is way better than a keyboard.

You should prototype it. Buy a bunch of cheap keys from China, or even those testing cherry keys and stick them into cardboard or something, to see if the size and position is ok.
>>
>>1235088
honestly keyboad KEYS would honestly be appropriate but yeah fuck doing motions or even basic movement on arrow keys in traditional (read: capcom) fighters

maybe even GG or Mahvel would be playable on keyboard but anything very reliant on QCs and DP motions, fogeddaboudit

despite numpad notation being so gr8 using a numpad is fucking garbage for actual control

[spoiler]analog sticc 4 lyfe, the original 360 pad is literally the apex input device for 4-button fighters[/spoiler]
>>
File: switches.jpg (22KB, 491x300px) Image search: [Google]
switches.jpg
22KB, 491x300px
>>1235087
There are literally 4 switches inside of a joystick is what he is saying

You can use 4 buttons instead, that's what the Hitbox does
>>
They actually sell arcade sticks like that. Idk any brands to point you to, but you can buy the good arcade switches for cheap and slap them in a box, wire them to the buttons on a controller for whatever system you wish.
>>
>>1235087
>nope it also does diagonals
>ie left and up at the same time
That's exactly what it's doing. Hitting both switches at once you nonce.
>>
>That's exactly what it's doing. Hitting both switches at once you nonce.

i know, asshole. everybody knows it, coz it's obvious; i was merely pointing out that while a joystick does this naturally and intuitively, 4 buttons are not an exact replacement for a joystick: they're inferior coz they require a higher degree of dexterity and coordination.
>>
>>1235152
And yet the Hitbox is decried as an unfair advantage because it can easily perform certain movements that are considered difficult on a joystick

If you've ever used WASD controls on a keyboard then you've got the dexterity for 4 buttons, it's not an insurmountable test of skill.
>>
Fgc here, it's 2017, arcades are dead dnt you can bring your controller at events

The hitbox layout is superior to any other plus you'd use your keyboard muscle memory

You can search the official layout
>>
Can I just hardwire an interface into my brain?
>>
>>1234815
what kind of drivers do you need for this? How does the device you plug it into know which button does what?
>>
File: QanbaQ1-09-360-PCBBare.png (1MB, 1200x742px) Image search: [Google]
QanbaQ1-09-360-PCBBare.png
1MB, 1200x742px
>>1238809
There's a chip you buy that has an all-purpose set for the buttons.
>>
>>1234815
Any stick/button set recommendations for this?
How big a box should you make for stability?
>>
>>1238823
buttons: sanwa or seimitsu are the big brands
sanwa is what comes on 95%+ of sticks
as for case size, it kinda depends
a smaller one can be okay if it's weighted well enough
eg my current stick is 35cm x 24cm which is smaller than the one I had previously, but it's heavier so it sits fine in my lap
>>
Im testing one right now, actually. You can buy a cheap Reyann zero delay pcb from amazon that doesn't need any adapter from joystick to buttons, and just plug it your preferred ones and test it in a cardboard box.
It's weird at first, at least if you go with the Hitbox layout, since jumping is weirdly placed, but in general gives you a more precise input for things like specials in sfv, or general tekken commands (those suck in a joystick)

So, yeah, go for it. You can tedt it for under 30 bucks and if you don't like it just use the pieces for a traditional one.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.