[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /DIY/, moving into a new house next week and I've been

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 20170811_083240_HDR-1.jpg (564KB, 2656x1882px) Image search: [Google]
20170811_083240_HDR-1.jpg
564KB, 2656x1882px
Hey /DIY/, moving into a new house next week and I've been trying to figure out how to condition the right corner of my garage so I can set up an L shaped desk with my PC and video games and related. I get all four seasons in my area, so I would actually need to retain heat in that area of the garage. My question is, is there some type of insulation panel that can be installed and removed in a clean way? I'm renting at the moment, but I'll be able to buy this house within a year or two, but I don't want to do anything permanent until I actually know I'm buying. Would insulating one corner even be possible it would I just have to do the whole garage?
>>
>>1234758
By the way, I've searched on Google, only to be met with acoustic insulation panels, which is clearly not what I'm after.
>>
>>1234758
why garage.....

put some hooks in the ceiling and hang some thick moving blankets to form walls, or frame simple 2x4 walls and cover with foam board
>>
>>1234766
I don't have any empty rooms in the house and I like to be as far away from everyone as possible when gaming/doing schoolwork. I like that idea, but in the long run it's probably be better to just finish the whole garage right? I just want it to be a workshop/gameroom since I work on cars a lot and I'll have one of my projects in there at some point.
>>
>>1234766
This.

Simple 2x4 framing should do the job, then insulating. This is a basement/split level? Don't enclose yourself with the heating oil storage, try that other corner.

Freestanding walls to box in a corner, anchored to each other, would work. Shim snug against walls and ceiling, either mount a window AC in that small window or use a vent for a 'portable' ac unit. small heater for cold months. If you build a good, sturdy workbench it could anchor the 'outside' of the wall and provide a place for your outdoor tools and future projects.
>>
>>1234766
>>1234787

It will be a futile attempt because it will almost for sure to be not air tight and not enough insulation for your manbox inside a cold garage.

Unless you really make it a box i.e. with a ceiling and everything.
>>
>>1234791
well, there is already a ceiling. Just off the cuff I would suggest following the line of that beam out to the support pole and support pole back to the wall in the back. 2x4-based flats. There is a whole internet out there on how to make those for theatrical and lightweight remodeling.

Assemble in 4xwhatever the height size segments if you don't have a lot of help handy, screw them together with long boards as the 'spine'. Shim up to the ceiling, probably with some insulating foam/upholstery foam making the seal.

frame the segments deep (2x4 on edge, not flat) and fill the voids with standard roll insulation, luan or hardboard on the outside, luan or hardboard on the inside if you don't know how to sheetrock/care. Coat of killz or other flat white base paint on both sides, finish paint to desired color inside, maybe outside.

Make one wall segment special, built it around a cheap prehung door. This is easy but will leak heat so either spend a whole lot more OR just get a draft excluder for the bottom and hang a blanket on the inside of the frame.

If you want to stay, this should be stable and reasonable as long as you want. To remove it's just taking out screws and dragging out bulky wooden boxes. Treat them carefully and could be taken somewhere else if you don't buy here.

If the presumed underground walls are too cold put together some simple insulation foam panels to cover those walls in the winter. Remove for cooling benefit in summer.
>>
>>1234758
>My question is, is there some type of insulation panel that can be installed and removed in a clean way?
A jacket.
>>
>>1234758
>spending 2 years in a garage
>why not go for the BASEMENT like a regular btard
>why not sleep on a bunk bed and using the lower half to make a desk
>>
>>1234766
This.

Also, if your primary concern was retaining heat... kek... you don't get a summer.

Make sure you air condition that bitch.
>>
>>1235002
Hey fuck you I love those beds with a bottom part that's a desk.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.