[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

clogged sink

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 7

File: 12.jpg (4KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
12.jpg
4KB, 259x194px
My sink has been slow for the last year.

I have OCD and I wash my hands probably close to 20 or 30 times a day. I attributed it to shaving in the sink and the soap scum

I opened the "trap" or "u" or whatever it's called under the sink and there is this really hard white shit almost coating the entire pipe.

I couldn't even remove it with a screw driver so I just put it back on and have been washing my hands in the tub.

What type of drain cleaner can I get to dissolve whatever that shit is?

I tried concentrated sulphuric acid once but it caused such bad fumes I had to leave the house to prevent gassing myself. Would prefer not to use that shit anymore

Are all "traps" or "u"s the same size? (I live in the U.S. by the way).

Can I just go buy a new one and screw it on? Or is it not that simple? Are there different threads or size traps?
>>
It'll be an inch and a quarter or inch and a half P trap.
I'd expect you have more troubles than that, but try and replace the wall bend as well.
If it flows fine after that, I'm very surprised, but make sure you fill the sink with hot water and then let it drain down every week, since you are dumping that much soap etc.

Dunno about your OCD, whether it's cleanliness or just the act of washing your hands, but if you can handle it, be prepared to snake it at the wall after pulling off the wall bend if you still have slow drain.
>>
File: 1497308562254.png (391KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1497308562254.png
391KB, 1280x720px
>>1234152
>I couldn't even remove it with a screw driver so I just put it back on and have been washing my hands in the tub.
>>
>>1234215
There's some shit that grows inside some rare shower drains, slowly growing from the walls of the pipe inward, until as little as 1/2 inch is open.
I don't know what it is, but it's like concrete or grout.
I usually have to just turn the shower on full hot, aimed at the wall, then stand over the drain with a pipe or water curb key, pounding it into that shit over and over like a concrete pile driver. It comes off in chunks or flakes. and washes down.
Snaking can't do shit to it. To get it off the pipe fully, you'd have to get down there with a hammer and chisel.
It shrugs off sulfuric acid, clorox, other shit customers try first, cables, and doesn't afraid of anything.
>>
File: scale_in_pipe.jpg (370KB, 658x521px) Image search: [Google]
scale_in_pipe.jpg
370KB, 658x521px
>>1234296

that sounds like calcium carbonate, aka chalk, aka Tums.
>>
>>1234318
then acid should be able to remove it
>>
>>1234152

Have you had this happen before in any place you lived in for a long time? Soap does wreck havoc on waste/sewer lines so I imagine if you're using the same sink that often this would have happened before.

Once you replace the pipes (assuming it's some mineral buildup that you don't want to attack with acid) you might want to investigate using a different soap, or less of it at a time, or split your usage between different sinks.

And I assume you've looked into therapy for OCD because that would be the real long term solution. It's an anxiety disorder and I can tell you from personal experience that cognitive-behavioral therapy makes a massive difference in management.
>>
File: max_gel_unblocker-500_v2.jpg (117KB, 491x624px) Image search: [Google]
max_gel_unblocker-500_v2.jpg
117KB, 491x624px
>>
File: 20170827_150317.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170827_150317.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Bad odor, but works
>>
>>1234352
Calcium sulfate (the product of calcium carbonate and sulfuric acid) is plaster of paris. You'd have to use muriatic acid, which would probably eat your pipes as well.
>>
>>1234564
What about vinegar acid? Thats used for de calcing dishes
>>
>>1234564
now that I know that, i've looked up more stuff.

It appears that clorox type cleaners or draino make it worse, changing oils and fat into more calcium soap, and further hardening the existing buildups.
And turning the drain scale into plaster of paris would explain why the acid drain cleaners don't work well either.

So, it's close enough to lime etc to actually call it concrete or cement then?
Guess I'll just keep hammering that stuff away, or bring in the sink machine with cutter heads on those jobs.
>>
>>1234585
Oh right, I forgot about acetic acid. That would work.
>>
File: s-l300[1].jpg (13KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
s-l300[1].jpg
13KB, 300x300px
buy this shit but be careful and don't jam it in aggressively, otherwise it might puncture a pipe's wall
>>
>>1234152
I know this is unrelated, but man, have you tried medication for OCD?

I have severe OCD as well. I was forced to see a doctor when I was around 10 years old because my hands were bloody and raw from how much I was washing my hands/using hand sanitizer. Cognitive therapy didn't work. Medication was an absolute godsend.

I'd honestly rather die 20+ years earlier than live with my OCD and GAD like that again. It's still there, but by God is it much more manageable.

Good luck with the sink, though.
>>
File: images (13).jpg (13KB, 332x443px) Image search: [Google]
images (13).jpg
13KB, 332x443px
>>1234152
I think its called bio-sludge. Its basicly bacteria that grows inside the pipes because people spit inside and what not. Its pretty hard to clean, what ive done is to remove the pipes and blast them with a hose.
>>
>>1234152
Try getting a shop vac and sucking out the tail piece after you remove the stopper in your sink. You may need a hydrojetting from your local plumber. Be careful with chemicals as they may ruin the pipe if its anything else but abs. Usually homes lived in for 20+ years tend to have sludge through the sewer. Most likely it's just the pop up in the sink.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.