[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Easy Econoboxes to Work On

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

File: corolla.jpg (1MB, 2048x1360px) Image search: [Google]
corolla.jpg
1MB, 2048x1360px
Are Toyota Corollas the easiest Econoboxes for DIY repairs? Are there better alternatives?
>>
Get yourself an electric car - it doesn't have all that shit that breaks in gas-powered car.
>>
>>1233403
>Get a car with no range, few places to charge it, complicated to manufacture power source
>>
File: IMG_20140526_194333784.jpg (146KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140526_194333784.jpg
146KB, 800x450px
>>1233402
>he doesn't have a dualsport
>>
>>1233403
they still have brakes, suspension, bearings ect which is the most common shit to fuck up. oh and now you'll have a bunch of very expensive electronics and batteries which are always unreliable as fuck
>>
>>1233402
i had the 2016
loved it. Small and zippy in city traffic. Its also really solid, like there is no rattling.
>>
File: vaz2107.jpg (8KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
vaz2107.jpg
8KB, 275x183px
This is the best car to work on. Newer cars are just electric gremlins
>>
>>1233838
Whoa, didn't expect to see semyorka here. Where are you from bud?
>>
>>1233403
Instead of repairing it you buy a new one. good goy.
>>
>>1233692
>suspension
>most common to break
Maybe if you drive it like a nigger.
>>
>>1233402
The easiest econobox to work on is an early '90s Japanese pickup truck. Get one with manual steering, no power accessories, and a manual transmission. Most of the work will be preventing rust, but it will never actually break down in a meaningful way.
>>
>>1233402
>Are Toyota Corollas the easiest Econoboxes for DIY repairs?

Sure, if you buy a mid 90s one.
Not fucking new ones
>>
>>1233998
>Maybe if you drive it like a nigger.

No, its because its easy to build a power train that lasts
Everything else around it falls apart
>>
>>1234167
Problem I see with them is that everyone wants to sell them for 2k when this drives like shit
>>
>>1233403
The electronics on current cars fuck up enough for me to hate them, what makes you think an entire car made out of electronic bullshit will be handy?
>>
>>1233402
Econoboxes are nearly always small and front wheel drive, meaning they have cramped engine compartments. Often they will also have drum brakes which can be a bit of a pain.

The easiest cars to work on are simple older RWD vehicles.

>No, its because its easy to build a power train that lasts
Everything else around it falls apart

Maybe if you live somewhere that gets a lot of snow.

The same weaknesses exist in most powertrains as suspension systems. Rubber components will eventually fail wherever they are found. Gaskets, seals, bushings, hoses and boots. When these components are neglected more expensive things end up breaking.
>>
>>1234144
Auto > Manual in terms of not having to fix shit.
>>
>>1234192
>Auto > Manual in terms of not having to fix shit.

Agreed.

Replacing a clutch is going to be beyond the skill of most DIYers. If you are doing it yourself replacing the transmission fluid and filter is probably about the extent of work most hobbyists are going to do on an auto trans anyway.

Anything more serious and you are probably better off getting a mechanic to put a new auto transmission in your econobox.
>>
>>1234196
This is going to upset people but auto is also better offroad, power when you need it. Sucks having a hill that you need a run up for and traction at the top, unless youre a rally driver or some shit most people arent going to be able to get the timing right and loose no power. Auto is also awesome for sand.
>>
File: honda-civic.jpg (68KB, 638x362px) Image search: [Google]
honda-civic.jpg
68KB, 638x362px
What is /diy/'s opinion on 1991-2005 Civics?
>>
>>1233998
Shit still wears out. Our roads aren't perfect and suspensions take a lot of abuse
>>
>>1234144
Do '90s pickup trucks need a jack stand to get under it?
>>
>>1234474
Unless it has enough clearance for you to get under it without a jack, then yes. It needs stands.
>>
Sadly these days you have to either have serious bucks or take it up the ass for diagnostic software. It's almost to the point you can't even service the frigging blinker fluid yourself.
>>
>>1234201
Sucks that you don't know how to drive, but don't blame the equipment.
>>
>>1234459
Never once replaces a suspension component on my previous car. Retired the car due to stress fractures in subframe.
>>
>>1233402
Any GM before 2005 can be reconfigured with the $500 chinkshit standalone scan tool instead of the $1500 Windows-based scan tool. This is important when doing major work or swaps on engine or trans.
>>
File: cz64.jpg (78KB, 583x586px) Image search: [Google]
cz64.jpg
78KB, 583x586px
>>1234455

Depends if youre ok being a guy who people consider to be a homosexual.
>>
>>1234642
maybe the stress fracture was caused by a shitty suspension...
>>
>>1234474
Not often. I replaced the starter in my '89 Nissan D21 without jacking it up. Of course, it turned out that the starter was perfectly fine, and the only problem was a little plastic piece that pressed down the starter switch on the clutch pedal had fallen off. I fixed it with electrical tape.
>>
>>1233838
This. If america get some shitbox with efi and few wires.
>>
>>1234167
God i had an 89 wagon. Mutherfucker would roast that 13" tire to shreads and got 30mpg.

Never broke 1 tine unless u count the cracked head twice from fast and furious drifting
>>
>>1233838
This is the ultimate answer. Had one 2105. Cheap parts as well.
>>
>>1233838
I hate being an Amerishart.

>>1234692
wew lad. Why are Civics homo vehicles?
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.