[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /diy/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 9

File: picture4.jpg (14KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
picture4.jpg
14KB, 500x332px
I desperately need your advice on a house repair I need to get done ASAP.

The details:
I have a hole in my drywall ceiling roughly the size of the pic I put up. Its caused by water damage via rain. The roof hole has been plugged so there is no fear of more damage happening.

What I need?:
Your opinions on what tools I would need and what material. I've seen 2-3 videos on how to repair this myself and it looks doable. Can I really do this by myself? Quick replies would be very appreciated. Thank you all in advance.
>>
>>1233242
>in my drywall ceiling

go to the store and get a patch big enough. it's usually made of mesh and is sticky so you just stick it over the hole. skim with joint compound. let it dry. maybe sand it down if it's really high or not smooth. repeat until it looks half decent. ceilings do not require perfection if you use flat paint.

you do not need to prime no matter what anyone says, unless there is a water stain in which case buy a can of spray Kilz and spray all the water stains. then paint with one or two coats of ceiling white. It will cover much better if you tell the paint store guy "and add a shot of black", plus he will see that you are a pro and he will respect you.
>>
>>1233242
expanding foam. spray it in. let it dry. cut it, sand it.
>>
>>1233251
Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply. It seems super simple never would of thought its this easy. This I presume would also only be a temporary fix right? Would I need to fit in actual plasterboard later on or is this a long term fix too?
>>
>>1233266
Jesus Christ that's even simpler. Can I paint over it like the other man's suggestion? Thank you as well for replying.
>>
>>1233268
>his I presume would also only be a temporary fix right?

It's perfectly fine as a permanent fix for a ceiling or a wall if the hole is no bigger than the one you showed.

As for the expanding foam, I'm not sure that's a good idea, but wait and see what others say. An actual painter would never do that. And keep in mind that Great Stuff expanding foam is a /diy/ meme that is often suggested in an attempt to ruin somebody's project.
>>
>>1233270
Ah I see I think so far your suggestion is great. Is the green text sarcasm? I'm not sure I get it haha.
>>
>>1233279
>Is the green text sarcasm?

green text was originally meant for quoting part of the post you are replying to, and that's all I meant here and in the other post. It makes a thread easier to follow for others who read what you post and wonder what you are referring to.
>>
>>1233282
I think I'm going to take your suggestion can you show me an online example of the mesh just so I know what to ask the guy in the store for? I'll be posting results as soon as I finish the repair.
>>
File: meshedtapped.jpg (67KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
meshedtapped.jpg
67KB, 500x332px
>>1233291

In this pic, it seems they bought a roll of mesh "tape" which would be in the paint department or the sheetrock/drywall department. they seem to have used two pieces to make it large enough.
>>
>>1233294

or you can get larger rectangles.
>>
File: s-l300.jpg (33KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
s-l300.jpg
33KB, 300x300px
>>1233296

they make all sorts. go to the store and see what they have. You can even use the standard paper tape for something as small as your hole.
>>
>>1233294

and you might be wondering what they did here. they did a very thorough job by cutting out a piece of the old sheetrock, then they put a large long piece inside the wall and secured it with the four outer screws, and then put a small square in the hole and screwed it to the longer piece. You can buy small pieces of sheetrock and cut it with a utility knife if you want to do this, but for a ceiling that nobody is ever going to bump into it really is not necessary.
>>
>>1233296
Perfect.
>>1233297
Its not small small its at least 2-3 inches in diameter.
>>1233298
Ahh I see.
>>
>>1233269
So simple it won't work.
Expanding foam (clue in the name?) is foam. I.e it's full of air. As soon as you cut it it's going to be just a big area of small holes like a bath sponge on the wall.

You watched how many videos and still don't get it? Call a man in to do it for you.
>>
>>1233314
Not an option I think I'll be going with the wall patches the gentlemen up there suggested.
>>
>>1233294
im a painter
this is beautiful

btw, ,how long was this thing leaking.
did you check for mold
>>
>>1233242
Newspaper and toothpaste
>>
>>1233393
Apparently its been going on for 2 years but I can't see any mold.
>>
>>1233314
Well you wait a few hours and then float a few layers of plaster over top and wait a day and sand smooth... prime, paint ( a shot of black will help match the paint, remember, you can't mix fade...).
>>
File: 1503650775455.jpg (31KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
1503650775455.jpg
31KB, 500x332px
>>1233266
>expanding foam
Check'd, but that's going to look like shit.

>>1233251
>patch
Eh. I've never had good luck with those, for anything larger than a doorknob hole. They're also kind of expensive. Texture never looks right afterwards either.

Want it done right? Locate the studs (orange lines), either by busting open the hole or a studfinder. Cut a rectangle around the fucked up drywall, over the studs (red-black).
Hardware stores sell drywall sections - usually 2ftx2ft - get one of those and cut it to fit in the hole you cut out. Might need some drywall shims if the existing drywall doesn't sit flush on the studs. Screw that patch to the studs.
>>
File: i-XpPTppm-L.jpg (57KB, 799x450px) Image search: [Google]
i-XpPTppm-L.jpg
57KB, 799x450px
>>1233680 cont'd
Tape over the seams with fiber tape. Looks like >>1233294, about 2" wide, and a post-it-note-adhesive on one side to help keep it in position while you mud it in. Throw some drywall mud/joint compound (same shit) over the tape, smooth with a 6" blade to blend the seam. Might need a layer or two depending on how flat you get it. Once it's good, hit the section with a sanding block to smooth off the blade marks.

Thin the joint compound to pancake-batter consistency, roll/brush a coat of that over the patch and texture as necessary. Walls in my house are slapbrush/panda-paw. Let that dry.

Hit it with a coat or two of primer, then paint.

Two smaller fixes on the right (either side of the network drop) were from telephone/cable installs/removals. Big one is for the whirlpool pump. Had to knock out drywall to remove the entire pump/motor.
>>
File: i-d78KbTk-L.jpg (51KB, 799x450px) Image search: [Google]
i-d78KbTk-L.jpg
51KB, 799x450px
>>1233681
and after.
No weird lumps/bumps on the wall where the patches were.
>>
File: i-ZWGTD5D-L.jpg (53KB, 799x450px) Image search: [Google]
i-ZWGTD5D-L.jpg
53KB, 799x450px
Drywalling ceilings fucking sucks. If you can get into the attic and shovel some of the insulation away, that'll keep it from raining down on you as you do the repair. If you can get a friend or two to help hold up the patch while you secure it to studs/rafters, that'll help keep it from flexing/breaking.

I've done a lot of fucking drywall work around the house this year.
>>
>>1233680
>>1233686
Do you guys think the repair patch is at least a viable option? I'll be going to the hardware store on Monday since I'm working till then and don't come back home till late in the evening. So far I'm set on the repair patch sand it in a bit use some joint tape to hold it up and paint over it and hopefully it'll work. Unless of course you gentlemen think its a mistake. I don't have any experience with work like this sadly.

I will be posting result pics as soon as the repair is complete which should be Monday as well.

Also I feel the need to stress that this is hopefully only a quick fix as I have guests coming over and need this room for them. I will probably be re-doing this job properly later on.

>>1233686
Thank you for replying sir but I don't think I'll be needing that much help my hole is quite small no larger than 2-3 maaaaybe 4 inches in diameter but thank you nonetheless.
>>
Hello,
I am carpenter, mason, welder and plumber having 8+ experience,
contact to give you professional advice to fill the hole.
>>
File: wall.png (5KB, 824x683px) Image search: [Google]
wall.png
5KB, 824x683px
>>1233242
The trick is to support it properly. You want to find a piece of wood or thin metal that you can fit into the hole but is long enough to reach passed the hole on both sides. You want to slide the piece of whatever into the hole and screw it from the front through the drywall into the piece on either side of the hole so its spanning across the hole. then you just cut a piece of drywall the exact size of the hole and screw it to the piece of whatever. tape it, skim coat, light sand, done.

i attached a shitty pic to confuse you more than my incoherent rambling
>>
>>1233681
>>1233683
this guy is good.
good thread is good

i recently re did a kitchen in los angeles had mold damage on the wall and ceiling, probably like 25 30 sq feet. had to float out the walls and ceilings fucker was done in plaster no drywall . came out pretty decent too
>>
Stuff newspaper in there, patch, then plaster. Quickest way to do it.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.