[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I got a question for you guys. Why cnc machines aren't popular

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: 20170725_212551.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170725_212551.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
I got a question for you guys. Why cnc machines aren't popular in woodworking ? It's helpfull for guys like me who can't cut straight or got "two left hands". As a hobbyst I can say it's the best tool in my garage.

Pic: my homemade cnc. Aluminium frame, kress spindle (bought used one), nema 17 (0.5 Nm), arduino uno with cnc shield. Everything for less than 425$
>>
>>1233003
computers are a pain in the ass
if you can't cut straight, use a jig
>>
>>1233003
I built a 5' x 10' machine.

Not a substitute for wood shop tools but sure helps on alot of jobs.
>>
>>1233003
Most people in the woodworking hobby are middle aged and know nothing about computers
Also its expensive

Yes you can a cool little CNC you cobbled together, but it also is very small. A typical woodworker who wants to work with half or full sheets of plywood isnt necessarily the same type of person who wants to tinker and build a CNC.
You buy a large one, its not cheap

Though I agree with you.
Ever since I built my 3d printer and I realized just how precise things can be and how easy it is to set up and build your own files for a plotter ive been drooling over building a CNC router.
>>
>>1233003

Because anything larger than a desktop model is expensive and complicated.

But, moreover, they actually aren't THAT great for fine woodworking. There isn't actually that much they can really do that lends itself to the craft. A table saw is faster for making straight cuts, and can handle much larger pieces. A bandsaw is faster at cutting imprecise curves, although the CNC will have the edge if they're complicated and would need sanding afterward. Drilling is always going to be faster with a drill press/handheld drill, since they need virtually no setup.

The one advantage they have over most every other tool is their accuracy, which, for woodworking, isn't usually a huge priority. If a curve or surface "looks" right, then it is right, and it's usually faster to get to that point with other methods.

Don't get me wrong, I have one and get good use out of it, but for most fine (or just purist) woodwoorkers, it simply isn't that useful except in some niche cases. Though, even in those areas, they're rejected because "muh handcrafted product".
>>
Wanting to do things quick and easy with as little physical effort as possible is a baby boomer meme that's ruined so much in this world and that needs to die violently. If you can't do it practice more.
>>
>>1233003
in industry they are not popular because although they are may be flexible due to economy of scale on production lines and setup time its often more appropriate to use specific machines for each operation.

in the home shop although an interesting project in and of themselves you have to remember why people do woodwork at home in the first place. to get some peace and quiet from her indoors. nothing exciting about getting a machine to do it for you. you don't go around telling artists to down tools because printers exist do you?
>>
>>1233023
Practicality is a boomer meme?
>>
>>1233003
>my homemade cnc. Aluminium frame, kress spindle (bought used one), nema 17 (0.5 Nm), arduino uno with cnc shield. Everything for less than 425$
>>>

I'd love to see details of your build. Show the leadscrews or whatever you use for each axis. discuss things like accuracy and backlash. are the steppers direct drive or do you have any gearing. can you control the speed of the cutter? kinda describe what "arduino with cnc shield" actually means in real world terms.

also: how rigid is it? have you tried milling aluminum? lots of projects could use an affordable cnc mill that can handle aluminum, even if shallow cuts are required.
>>
>>1233039
Yes. Aesthetics and virtue are more important.
>>
>>1233041
>Aesthetics and virtue are more important.

and post-boomers came up with that?

kids. you know I love 'em.
>>
>>1233043
Post-boomers and pre-boomers, yes.
>>
>>1233003
>Need cnc router parts
Need cnc router to make can router parts
Just like this filthy job market. Life fucking sucks
>>
File: ghost-story[1].jpg (17KB, 390x310px) Image search: [Google]
ghost-story[1].jpg
17KB, 390x310px
>>1233041
virtue is a spook
>>
>>1233003
>Why cnc machines aren't popular in woodworking (they do use them in industrial woodworking shops)

1. Cost of the machine
2. Time involved in programming

So, if you are making like 500 of the same thing over and over, then it makes sense to invest in a CNC router.

I used to work doing Al, 4340, 6Al-4V Ti CNC I operated 8 Mori-seiki CNC vertical mills with 500 tool changers and if everything is running good, then its great. But when something goes wrong, like the wrong depth of cut or broken tool, then its the shits. So the complexity isn't warranted unless you are doing something over and over.
>>
File: IMG_20170825_194209_230.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170825_194209_230.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
>>1233781
Cost of a decent machine will set you back around £80,000 plus tooling.
I make bespoke fine furniture, it's not a 100% necessary tool but it expands the range of things you can do in a commercial set up. What I mean by that is things which you could otherwise do by hand or on conventional machinery but would take a lot longer. Yes there is an initial time investment in terms of programming, but with the right software it's not all that slow to be honest. There are cases when it's quicker to just do something by hand or instead of doing everything to a component on the machine, plan the most efficient way to end up with what you want to make.

Good example, I made these new key tags for the workshop to replace the mangly old plastic ones. I could've letter carved each one by hand, however, the cnc machining process of the v carving alone took 40 mins to do 12 separate tags. Took maybe an hour to draw the geometry and program the machine. I could've made about two or three by hand in that time if I was working flat out.

Anyway, bit of a time waste making new tags for the workshop but small things like that motivate me. Which is good when you're unlocking first thing in the morning.
>>
>>1233003
that drill press is a piece of fucking shit, just saying.
>>
Because despite what you might think, woodworking does not require much precision.
>>
>>1234132
Relative to engineering there's fuck all tolerance.
That being said, fine furniture is usually to the nearest 0.1mm, fitted drawers more so since the difference of about 0.02mm will make it too loose or too tight.
Not that you'd ever do that by measuring mind, that'd be trial and error essentially. The real accurate stuff only needs to be on shoulders of joints etc.
>>
>>1234130
I know that. Its actually broken.
>>
>>1234145
>fine furniture is usually to the nearest 0.1mm, fitted drawers more so since the difference of about 0.02mm

these are made of wood, right? What sort of micrometer do you use when you're fitting these things?
>>
>>1233781
>But when something goes wrong, like the wrong depth of cut or broken tool
these are literally non-issues. you change your offset or replace the tool.
>>
>>1233023
What if my goals for cnc are safety and precision?
Can't lose an arm to a lathe if you don't touch it.
>>
>>1234358
Pro tip, measure as little as possible. When it fits it fits. Ease the fit of the components until they're spot on.
I don't use a micrometer, digital calipers I use quite frequently though (moore and Wright) I just measured the thickness of the drawer side from almost fitting to fitting perfectly and it was 0.02mm as far as I could measure it.
>>
>>1233596
>le epic (((stirner))) maymay
>>
no one wants cnc woodworking shit because the whole point of woodworking is having fun with your hands
>>
>>1233037
CNC is popular in woodworking industry... I ran CNC as a cabinet maker.

Here are some commercial CNC machines:
http://www.casadei-busellato.com/en/machinery/product-type.c8894/type.8900
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.