[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dial-Up over cellular

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

File: dialup.jpg (87KB, 1040x780px) Image search: [Google]
dialup.jpg
87KB, 1040x780px
Me and a few other anons have come up with a "fantastic" idea. Net zero still offer free dial-up internet. Using the covergae finder on their site, we discovered what numbers we could call. We just purchased a 3.5mm to RJ10 adapter, as well as a RJ10 to USB adapter. Our plan is to use the NetZero client and start the phone call at the same time with the cell phone hooked up to the auxillary cord, to the 3.5mm adapter, then from there we have the modem connected to the RJ10 adapter, the audio from the phone gets routed to the PC, allowing the computer to communicate with NetZero, giving us slow ass dial up internet access ove the cellular network. Pic Related
>>
>>1232010
>We just purchased a 3.5mm to RJ10 adapter, as well as a RJ10 to USB adapter.
sounds sketchy
you don't have a phone with a 3.5mm jack? bluetooth even?
>>
>>1232023
I have a 3.5mm jack, but the jack cant hook up to the RJ10 to USB connector. The reason I'm using the RJ10 to USB adapter is so the computer will recognize it as a dial up modem. I'll make a graphic and post it in a sec
>>
>>1232010
Yeah if you just want to spend 2 hours trying to post a reply on 4chan, maybe.

Not sure what it is good for except a waste of time.
>>
>>1232026
The point was to see if we could. I didn't intend to use it in any real capacity.
>>
>>1232026
It's a pretty big deal.
>Buy cash TracFone
>Buy cheap second hand PC
>Guerilla trolling or data transfer for malicious purposes

What will be interesting is to see if this can be emulated well enough to fool a PC. I'm positive there are other handshakes that occur between a modem and a PC.
>>
>>1232035
This anon understands the capabilities.
>>
>>1232035
>>1232038
You can do all that with 4G LTE so what good is dial up vs LTE?
>>
>>1232043
Cost difference. Dial up is free
>>
>>1232045

So is dog shit.
>>
>>1232045
Your phone calls are free?
>>
>>1232047
Phone service, no LTE: $15 /mo
Phone service + LTE: 45$ /mo
>>
>>1232050
>do illegal shit
>uses dial up to save $30 a month plus $5 for a VPN

Does not add up man
>>
>>1232010
You need to realize that the audio data transmitted wirelessly is compressed for speech.

Call up a commercial business that plays hold music and see for yourself. Why does the music sound like shit? Because most of the information outside of human speech range is depressed.
>>
>>1232010
It's cell, not POTS. As I suspected it'll be compressed with a lossy codec.

Someone has done this and achieved 2400 baud.

https://superuser.com/questions/748154/use-a-smartphone-as-a-dial-up-modem

Like most threads here OP is a flaming faggot who literally cannot stop sucking dicks instead of taking 5 seconds to look it up himself.
>>
>>1232060
Some companies have pretty nice clear music
>>
The phone companies know the number of dial up services so people wont tie up their network with shitty dial up (and also to sell you a data plan). If you do this, be prepared if your phone account to be canceled.
>>
my old nokia 3120 classic would do this accidentally on puppy linux 528 if you dialed atdn 1890 etc. you had to put in *99# to get it in data mode. you need the original nokia data cable as there is a chip in it.
>>
>>1232059
Muhommad crosses border illegally into China
He has no passport and is there illegally
He can not buy a phone plan with data because he has no ID
He can buy a phone, a computer and get a free dial up subscription
He can not get service anonymously many other ways, even assuming his device is a throwaway.

I get your point, but this is sort of like multiple layers of protection for noob level cyber terrorism. One device with a network specifically for that device isn't very protective.

Also, this is all speculative, as we have no clue if it works.
>>
>>1232064
>It's cell, not POTS. As I suspected it'll be compressed with a lossy codec.
Pots is also compressed to all fuck.
There is nothing plain or old about telephones other than the bit of shit that actually enters your house
>>
>>1232631
>Pots is also compressed to all fuck.

if that were true, some of the billions who still use 56K modems and faxes would have noticed.
>>
>>1232101
if you're on LTE your provider might use HD calling in some varient which uses different compression on account of the higher bandwith capacity.

go somewhere where you only have 3g service and call the same company.
>>
>>1232631
True, actual POTS is pretty dead.

I just removed a PBX a few days ago for a Cisco VG.

But some Pbxs still exist and vgs don't compress nearly as much as cell if you don't want them to. It's controllable for dedicated lines coming from the box/slam whatever.
>>
>>1232765
Yeah ok sure thing buddy, there is no compression algorithm in the entire world capable of encoding and recovering, of all things, fax machine bleeps. Even lossy codecs, there is no way a 56k modem could operate without every single out of band harmonic preserved perfectly.

Even before voip calls were common and copper pairs were king, bands were clipped and frequency shifted to squeeze several calls over a single pair.
>>
>>1232765
... Why do you think it's 56k and not 64k? It is 64k, 8 bits are reserved for routing, troubleshooting and error correction.

Did you check when g.711 was invented? You can still select this in most sip services because it has all the call quality anyone expects.
>>
>>1232010
Jesus, 2000 called, it wants its mobile internet back.
>>
>>1232059
Itt anon goes to jail to save a little cash
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.