[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Waterproof Earphones

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_20170822_134951590.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170822_134951590.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
I want to make these Bluetooth earbuds waterproof, or at least water resistant (something close to the IP65 or IP66 rating), and I was thinking about sealing the casing with a non conductive superglue and finishing off with some isolating tape on some parts. My main concern is the lithium battery, maybe I'll wrap it up with isolating tape.

Is this a good plan? Do non conductive glues even exist? What can I do with the part where the sound comes out? Should I just rely on the rubber thing to isolate water from it? I'm not really a DIY project kind of guy, so any help is appreciated.

Also sorry for my bad English, I'm not a native English speaker.
>>
File: IMG_20170822_135002844.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170822_135002844.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
A little closer
>>
Spray the circuit boards with conformal coating put it together, then spray the outside with conformal coating. You can fill the inside with petroleum jelly but it might wreck the acoustics.

The ear hole can be covered with a small piece of very thin waterproof fabric, ideally something like goretex, but other materials are possible too, just not as good. It will definitely sound muffled.

Unless you really need it to be able to be submerged in water I wouldn't cover the ear hole. Water shouldn't be able to get in there while you're wearing it unless you actually dunk your head underwater.
>>
>>1231907
Thanks a lot. Yeah, I just wanna use them under heavy rain without fear of them shorting out in my ears.

What about sealing the casing with superglue and wrapping up the electronics in duct tape? Would that work?
>>
>>1231910
Probably not.
>>
>>1231910
Duct tape is a poor choice for covering circuit boards. Either get a can of conformal coating or use clear nail polish.

The concern about water ingress isn't really the lip of the case, I'd be more worried about the crack around any buttons.

Spray the outside of the case with a hydrophobic spray (scotch guard). To help keep water off it.
>>
>>1231910
Also, it's very low voltage, less than 4V, and low current so even if it does short out, it's not going to harm you.
>>
>>1231902
Not sure if snakeoil or not. http://www.neverwet.com/
But it makes me wonder about never washing my Jeep. :)
>>
>>1232034

Of course it can hurt you. Called salty sweating cheetos covered skin. Even 5 volts can give you a poke if you give it a chance.
>>
You'll probably want them to breathe so that bass doesn't get completely crushed out. Maybe a silicone or vinyl sleeve over the top could act as a rain hood of sorts.
>>
>>1231902
Sealing a speaker defeats the purpose.

Seal but create a baffle for air exchange behind the driver instead.
>>
>>1231902
hot glue
>>
>>1232066
Right, but this battery is tiny so it can't put out enough current to generate a harmful shock at 4V.

Low voltage electrical injuries are usually burns, which need a fair bit of power to happen. I doubt this battery could supply more than 1-2W.
>>
>>1231902
surround with hot glue
>>
>>1232066
Having a shorting-out Lithium cell next to your ear is never good idea.
>>
>>1232090
There's currently a plumbing thread about a fag that made a sealing out of of a shitload of tar, same level of ugly and stupid.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.