[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Drop in LED modules

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 11668.jpg (23KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
11668.jpg
23KB, 500x500px
Anyone knows where to buy good quality high power leds? I need to replace the bulb on a few diving lights, pic related. The old bulb was running at maybe 14,4V? The batteries are dead but literature suggest so.
So I'd need a LED that can run at that voltage, with a reflector with approximately 62mm diameter. The original bulb was 50W so that is the max power I'd like to see on it.

Originally the lamp had three power levels
XV (~14?)
9,5V
4,5V

And the lamp has a internal cirquit that lowers the voltage as the battery discharges. I a perfect world I'd have a LED module that can acclimate to those voltages and lower its brightness but I realise it probably isn't realistic.

Im not going to replace the electronics on it. It's a diving torch so it has a nice integrated charging cirquit and can be charged without opening the torch.

Anyone into leds here?

Also, what is a reputable seller for batteries. It uses nimh 17650 cells so I'm looking for those (preferably in joirop). I usually buy from nkon.nl but they don't stock the 17650.
>>
Tl
Dr

50W approx 14V led chip with driver and reflector/lens.

How do you separate the quality from the garbage. From where can one aquire quality shit instead some kind of 1000lumen shit?
>>
Are you quite sure it used 3 voltage levels?

It's far more likely it's PWM'ing the bulb, which would make life easier for the LED conversion.
>>
>>1233002
Yeah, it's probably pwm. But my multimeter sees it as a constant voltage. I was while measuring thinking about this and wondering how I'd find about if it's pwm or something else but I don't know how :/
>>
>>1231681
Should see if we can summon flashlight bro again.

Fuuuuuug. https://youtu.be/-vgNh3fLxJc
>>
>>1233008

I would swap the electronics, but if you really don't want to here's a battery pack :

https://akkuplus.de/Akkupack-fuer-Oceanic-OP-504ex-144-Volt-Ni-MH-zum-Selbsteinbau

I'd use 3 of these for the light (maybe cool white for slightly more brightness, dunno what a diving light needs) :

http://www.kaidomain.com/p/S026146.Triple-Cree-XP-G3-Neutral-White-4500K-LED-Emitter-with-20mm-x-1mm-DTP-Copper-PCB-Parallel-w-optics

You will need to make something out of copper to connect the PCBs to the lamp housing to conduct the heat.

Also you need to limit current, 3 series LEDs will be in the ballpark for the voltage. A high wattage resistor might work. Or a voltage regulator current source (it needs to be able to burn a bit of power, so the regulator needs to have a thermal link to the case too).
>>
>>1233421

PS. whatever you use to limit current, you need one for every series string of LEDs.
>>
>>1233422
PPS. actually the voltage of these LEDs is a little too low for a 3x series string. 4 would be closer. Of course the closer it is the harder current limiting gets, might start to do some "proper" electronics with opamps and MOSFETs.

Cutter has PCBs with 4xXP-G3, alternatively you could a PCB with 4xXM-L2. But then the voltage headroom will get so low you can't avoid using some opamp+MOSFET current limiter.
>>
>>1233421
That batterypack is identical to the one in the lamp now.
I happen to have a liion charger that can charge 2-4 cell packs. I am considering swapping all the innards but I'd just like to have the lamp running!

Those new crees seem sexy, at 200lumen/watt they do kick the old halogens out of the water!

And diving lights enjoy cool temperatures (at least here in the Baltian, murky waters!), something over 10000K is appropriate. Also 5-10 degree reflectors/lenses are good while diving.

Anyway, if I go the swap the whole innards route I need more research. Just by running a led from the old electronics it might be easier for me. Projects need time to do properly and I do have three huge projects already going on :/

Anyway, valuable info!
>>
>>1234962
The problem is turning the PWM voltage to PWM current.

You can't just use a generic buck LED driver, because the PWM from the existing electronics will fuck with it.

An opamp+MOSFET current source with a LED series string close to 14.4V would be the obvious solution but requires some electronics knowledge.
>>
>>1234969
>You can't just use a generic buck LED driver, because the PWM from the existing electronics will fuck with it.

I was hoping that I could do just that, tu use the pwmmed voltage for another driver. But if that isn't the case, then I might need to do either a resistor driven led or just scrap the existing stuff in the lamp and replace it somehow.

One option would be to replace the nimh with liion cells and live with that.
I have no previous experience with liion except when using them in traditional led flashlights.

Is it possible to use my existing charger
http://www.skyrc.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=216
And use a liion cell that has 4 cells in series and X sets of cells in parallel? I think not, but can somebody confirm? It has a port for balancing cells with four leads (four cells in total?).

I work as a diver so long dives in shitty conditions are expected - > good to have excess battery capacity.
>>
File: IMG_20170829_102652.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170829_102652.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>
Does bigger lithium cells exist that 65mm, and by bigger I mean taller? On some flashlights you can find a long battery but does it just consist of two 18650 rewrapped?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.