[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Welding General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6

File: weld.png (1MB, 900x653px) Image search: [Google]
weld.png
1MB, 900x653px
Any hobby/professional welders on here?

Im really interested in welding and was thinking of picking up a cheap arc welder from harbor freight.

This is the one I was considering
https://www.harborfreight.com/80-Amp-Inverter-Stick-Welder-61749.html

Anyone have any tips on welding for a newbie?
>>
I've got two of those and I like them, I can bring it up the ladder with me and if I drop it I'm not out much, however if this is going to be your primary welder look up and of the identical 200 amp dual voltage inverters on Amazon or eBay for around a hundred bucks. They work great and have some head room, plus you won't be out much if you don't like welding and you can easily sell the, for what you are into them or more on cl. Watch chucke2009 and welding tips and tricks, a lot of people have learned from those two
>>
>>1231633
Watch and read everything you can find and practice practice practice. Most people don't have the patience to actually get decent
>>
>>1231649
>chucke2009

You mean that sellout that only does review videos to get free shit, then tries to sell the used pre-production machines for a few dollars less than market value of a new production machine and gets butthurt when people call him out on it?

Yeah, I *guess* he's okay.
>>
>>1231659
can you recommend some useful practical exercises?
>>
>>1231633
so i have a hobart 140, buddy and i used it for months for bullshit and building things. he decided he wanted to get a mig but couldnt drop $500 on a hobart but found this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016R0FCSQ because it has almost entirely positive reviews. he said its a pretty good machine all things considered and is happy he bought it.
>>
>>1231676

I've got a .pdf how can I get it to you?

Its best if you get a stick welder, nothing is more versatile.
>>
>>1231633
>Anyone have any tips on welding for a newbie?
Unironically watch weldingtipsandtricks vids.
I watched a lot of them before starting welding school and I had a huge jump start on the other guys because of that.
>>
>>1231689
Sure, email to [email protected]
Thanks friend.
>>
File: 1438149697921.jpg (424KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1438149697921.jpg
424KB, 1280x720px
>tfw no TIG jobs at the shop these days

Kinda tired of welding stairs desu
>>
>>1231633
Welder fabricator for 17 years here.
What are you wanting to do with that?
80 amps isn't very much.
Spend a little more for a 180-200 amp inverter that can do DC tig too. They're cheap
>>
>>1231737
How do I stop burning through thin material? What are the warning signs? It happens so fast I can't react to it
>>
>>1231750
Maybe turn your volts down? If welding two different thicknesses of steel, aim at the thicker piece.
What sort of welder are you using?
>>
>>1231750
start really really low. like stupidly low. turn it up slowly until you can barely keep a puddle after like 5 seconds. turn it up a tiny bit more. dont start near an edge
>>
>>1231668
I'm talking like his early stuff like when he was posting vids from welding school, those helped ,e a lot when I was learning
>>
>>1231690
Which vids/playlist should I start with first?
I watched the most basic seeming video under stick welding as that's what my first class is, but even then there were some terms I wasn't familiar with. I've been listening to the podcast and enjoying it.

I think this could be a real career for me if it turns out I like welding from the classes.

I was trying to make video editing my career but I never gave this much of a shit about watching videos and looking up what I had questions about than with welding.
>>
>>1231668
his early shit is helpful but yeah fuck that faggot

>>1231659
for me it was best just sticking shit together. most tell you to just run beads on scrap and that's fine for about 5 min then pointless. get some 1/4 plates to weld in various ways then grab a hammer to see how strong your welds are.
>>
>>1231668
When I first dabbled in welding 4-5 years ago I watched and liked his videos.

I went back recently, he is balding and looks methed out while shilling for free tools.
Its nutty how different things are. Though it looks like he runs his own shop, so good on him I guess.
>>
>>1231750
you just have to get a feel for it but really like you said it happens faster then you can react. turn the amps down and if that doesn't do it you'll have to just do a little then stop and let it cool for a few seconds. thin shit is hard with stick and is where MIG really shines
>>
>>1232179
he sure is fucking loud

I guess he lives nearby, there's some video of him returning a handsaw to the harbor freight on granbury road
>>
>>1231649
Chucke is a fag
Can't take the smallest criticism for shit

>Watch vid about "OMG BEST TIP EVER"
>"Just tack a small plate to your project if the grounding clamp doesn't fit well to it"
>some guys comment and say it's pretty basic common sense shit which it is
>he gets butthurt as fuck and calls them trolls
>>
>>1232193
"Haters gonna hate"
>>
File: IMG_20170820_185615.jpg (2MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170820_185615.jpg
2MB, 3120x4160px
>>1231633
Got a reconditioned Hobart 210 this winter. It's a great tool to have in your arsenal.

Lots to learn, but it's easy and relatively safe.
>>
>>1231633
>>1232309
Best tips so far is try to:

Pick up a used 3M helmet on ebay for under $100
Keep your eyes open for chop saws at yard sales or craigslist
Railroad spikes and plates are a good free source (if you don't get caught) for practicing.
>>
>>1232310

also either get one pair of nice gloves or a bunch of cheap gloves. cheap ones will tear out the stitching in little time

>Keep your eyes open for chop saws at yard sales or craigslist
these are pretty sweet

i got a ridgid for $20 at an auction (came with 10+ 9" angle grinders)

somehow they burned out both connections to the brushes (i soldered some copper pipe to the brass bushings). the best part is the prev owners put on a steel stand so i get full depth of cut with a 12" wheel
>>
Goto real welding forums like Weldingweb and the Miller forums. This is not a real welding forum nor will a thread fit all you need to know or access in future.

Best accessories noobs don't think to buy are full clear face shield for grinding, and a 6 (not 4.5") angle grinder with cutting discs. Piss on a chop saw. I haven't used mine in years. My machine/fab shop bro doesn't even own one, though he did buy a cold saw which turned out not to be as versatile as 6" discs in a Metabo grinder. 6" discs cut faster (greater edge speed) and last much longer. You can neatly cut 1/2" plate (slowly) or cut through a truck axle with 6" discs. I've done both.

Useful for any skill level but noob-friendly. Spend a few hours here:

http://weldingweb.com/forum.php
>>
>>1232193
He's disabled comments now anyway. Nothing more then a shill begging for free shit
>>
>>1232369
Yes don't buy cheap gloves and if you do don't use them long. It's a real bitch when the stitching gives out and you burn the fuck out of your hand.
>>
Have an opportunity to get a 250cf cylinder, 10-year hydro good for another 6 years, filled (my choice of argon/c25), for $150.

Is good deal?
>>
>>1232955
Yes, buy that
>>
Where can I get an inexpensive but functional welding curtain? I don't want to blind my neighbors because they happen to glance outside while the asshole NEET next door is pretending to be a welder.
>>
>>1234013
a tarp
>>
>>1234013
>welding curtain
is that like a cinema anvil?
>>
>>1234057
It's like grass-fed salmon
>>
>>1234063
the flick falcons of the sea
>>
>>1234013

Literally anything that will block light. Probably should be something UV-resistant if you want it to last, though.
>>
Would anyone recommend welding to a 30 year old as a career choice.

I tried that stay at home parent thing women seem to be so well suited for.
And it's driven me damn near batshit.

Looking at something I don't have to kill my soul for, I'd like to travel if possible.
>>
File: 1418808494213.jpg (28KB, 335x333px) Image search: [Google]
1418808494213.jpg
28KB, 335x333px
>>1234112
probably
>>
What about a 25 year old?
I'm fairly big in size, and can work hard at physical stuff.
Also good with my hands and theyre pretty big.
>>
>>1234185
I started welding full time at 24, you should be fine m8
>>
>>1234193
Can you post hands, just so I can be sure?
With dick for scale, of course.
jk tho
I'll be in a three month cert course from the local cc, I'm going to learn my ass off in it and treat it responsibly like a job, you think I migh be able to get a job afterwards? Might be able to help a friend weld her sculptures, but I have no previous welding experience.
I do have a lot of retail/stock experience, and have always hustled once I'm in a job.
The schooling will cover stick, mig, tig, and flux-core, and welding pipe with stick.
Also blueprint reading and some metallurgy and math it looks like.
>>
>>1234185
Being big is actually a disadvantage with welding. Of course it does depend what you're doing but if you end up having to work in a confined space it's a real bitch or even impossible
>>
>>1234472
You think it would take me out of consideration for the Boilermakers?
I really want to work on ships, doing that union would be great.
To specify, I'm 6'0", 245 pounds (I'm sure that'll go down once I start welding), like 52-46-44 (shoulders-chest-waist), and like a 12 4E boot.

I've got good control of my body and stretch as often as I can, although of course if an opening is small enough that I cant fit, then I guess I cant fit.
>>
>>1231633
Harbor Freight is all cheap chinese shit. Avoid them.
>>
>>1234593
>To specify, I'm 6'0", 245 pounds (I'm sure that'll go down once I start welding), like 52-46-44 (shoulders-chest-waist), and like a 12 4E boot.
>I've got good control of my body and stretch as often as I can, although of course if an opening is small enough that I cant fit, then I guess I cant fit.

cut to the chase and just say you're looking for a boyfriend
>>
>>1234651
Are you offering then?
Fuck me for being specific, but I guess you've never made anything to spec.
Fuck it, why should a table have 4 equal legs?
>>
>>1234593
As long as you can do the job you'd be fine but you might be uncomfortable as fuck. It could also take you longer to get the job done
>>
>>1231691

Did you get the .pdf of the welding manual?
>>
>>1231750

Get a thick piece of copper and put it up tight as a "chill bar" to absorb the heat

Use E6013 filler 3/32"
>>
>>1232181

One of the downsides of the welding trade is with all the grinding noise and other noise, he is probably growing deaf
>>
File: Copper Chill Bar.gif (4KB, 273x164px) Image search: [Google]
Copper Chill Bar.gif
4KB, 273x164px
>>1234744

Example of a chill bar in use, it draws the heat away from the thin material
>>
>>1234593
Knew a 400+ pound Hawaiian that welding on the ship with us. You should be fine. Only 5 foot 2 also.

No worries my friend
>>
>>1234745
double up ear pro, plugs+muffs
>>
File: 1489739911778.png (551KB, 964x912px) Image search: [Google]
1489739911778.png
551KB, 964x912px
>>1234747
>copper, comma
And what?
Spiders?
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.