[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which table saw is best?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

File: 328945.jpg (117KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
328945.jpg
117KB, 900x675px
Been looking into getting a table saw. Which brand is best? DeWalt seems to put out some great saws, and Ridgid tools are fantastic as well but I saw one at a local HD and didn't really like the countertop, seems like it was made of plastic? Been watching this channel on YouTube and the guy uses an old Porter Cable one. I have also seen a nice Delta saw for pickup on CL. With so many options, which one should I pick? Help me out, DIY :( also, my budget is less than 1k so maybe 600? I don't really need a $2k cabinet saw or anything super grand, I just need something stable, preferably with a cast iron table top.
>>
Heard complaints about the fence on some of the DeWalt saws. Buying a different miter gauge also seems to help according to what I've read.
>>
>>1231594
>I don't really need a $2k cabinet saw or anything super grand, I just need something stable, preferably with a cast iron table top.
use on craigslist

they may look terrible, covered in rust...but plenty of them can be found sub $100 and are solid
>>
>>1231599
As far as brands go, any suggestions? I've asked a couple of people I know that have circular and miter saws but none own a table saw so they didn't offer much help
>>
>>1231594
>I have also seen a nice Delta saw for pickup on CL
This is the one.
>>
>>1231608
What sets Delta apart from the other brands such as Jet, Makita, and Craftsman? I'll post pictures of the ones found on my local CL
>>
File: 00q0q_aszfcaqGGDJ_600x450.jpg (39KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
00q0q_aszfcaqGGDJ_600x450.jpg
39KB, 600x400px
Delta - $450
>>
>>1231594
From most important to less important
>cast iron top
>quality fence
>metal body
>belt driven

The $600 Ridgid at HD and the $600 Delta at Lowes are both acceptable saws.

$100 saws off craigslist that meet the cast iron top and other criteria from above are acceptable saws.

Dont buy rolling jobsite saws like the dewalts, just because they are expensive doesnt mean they are going to be as accurate as a pigfat heavy cast iron topped saws that are a pain in the dick to move.

>>1231608
>>1231611
Dont buy just on the name.
Delta put out some serious trash in the 80s alongside their good stuff. Just like most brands.

A Delta unisaw? Those are fucking amazing
Their aluminum topped plastic bodied homeowner saws? Fucking shit

>>1231613
That is the $600 one from Lowes
>>
>>1231601
I don't think I've ever bought any tool just because of the brand....and you shouldn't, provided it's a recognizable name

I have an older craftsman circular saw, works perfectly fine...I thought about picking up a duplicate nice one from CL, only $20

the table saw I got off CL for $50 was kind of a no-name brand, but it's worked fine for what I've needed it for and it was in really good shape

I know some of the rusty ones I've seen were craftsman, but the reason people seem to be drawn to those is the build quality regardless of the name or surface appearance
>>
>>1231613
post craigslist
>>
>>1231594
>my budget is less than 1k so maybe 600?

The Grizzly G0771Z is under 1k and is a really good saw if you want new. Helps if you live near a store and can pick it up.
>>
I've heard a lot of complaints from the rolling jobsite DeWalts. They're pricy but not impossible to acquire, it's just that I went to see one at the local HD and was really turned off about the plastic. I love old cast iron parts and tools, I guess they really don't make em like they used to.
>>
>>1231618
I'll check this one out right now
>>
>>1231617
Like, post the link?
>>
>>1231623
Give us local craigslist to look through
>>
>>1231616
There's this one guy selling a Sears Craftsman for like 500 but the picture is one from the internet so I'm a little wary. Still, he lives close by so I can always check it out in person. Says he's coming back from a job on two weeks. If I don't get one by then I'll pass by and check it out. Did the Craftsman serve you well? I'm not a huge fan of going after brands either, I don't even have a whole lot of power tools but I'm building up a collection because I have recently started getting into woodworking. Never really liked the look and small size of the newer portable models.
>>
Here's the CL:

https://miami.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=table%20saw&sort=rel
>>
>>1231626
Sears has literally sold craftsman table saws for 80 years.

They had a lot of decent saws that fit the criteria I posted above, and a whole lot that didnt. It just depends on the model.
>>
Also, when I do go and check out these table saws, what should I check for? What are some things to watch out for or some things that are crucial?
>>
>>1231628
Your craigslist is expensive and everything looks beat to shit.

THIS is your best deal right here
This is a serious, made in the USA cabinet saw with a $300 aftermarket fence on it.
https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/tls/d/5-hp-tablesaw/6259699304.html

I would look at this one, if its in good shape it is an ok deal.
https://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/for/d/jet-10inch-tablesaw/6268194739.html

I like the idea of buying this for cheap and pressing in new arbor bearings. Tune it up
https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/tls/d/sears-craftsman-table-saw/6211987271.html

This fixer upper looks good too
https://sarasota.craigslist.org/tls/d/sears-craftsman-10-tablesaw/6254082056.html

This one is a very similar saw to the one above, just slightly newer. I see them for $70-100 which is a good price. 200 is a steep price
https://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/tls/d/table-saw-10-craftsman-usa/6232282217.html

This is the one you asked about, its an awful price
Taiwanese saw, its "highly coveted in woodworking circles" because you can find them for $100-150 and they about as good as the new $600 saws you can buy at a big box store
https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/tls/d/craftsman-hybrid-table-saw/6262778133.html

Rest of it is either overpriced or just fucking trash.
>>
>>1231644
Adjust the blade up and down, it should be relatively smooth and the blade should move up and down without twisting or turning.

The blade will always deflect some, but move it laterally side to side, and if it feels like it moves way too much the arbor bearing is bad.

Turn it on, listen for weird noises or heavy vibrations.

Thats about it other than just little things about the actual condition. Is there a lot of pitting on the tabletop?
Is the fence worn to fuck, and does it lock up tight?

Just remember that they are all going to be beat up to a certain extent.

Also, ignore me >>1231651
where I said to look at the Powermatic.
That powermatic has a 5hp motor. Its more than likely a 3 phase 220v table saw. And im assuming you dont have that in your garage.
>>
>>1231651
I'm going to text the guy selling the first one tomorrow afternoon, I completely looked past that one. It's a bit far but worth it if it's the best choice. I will also look into the Craftsman for 200, it's really close to my area. I can't thank you enough, this is immensely helpful

>>1231656

I sincerely appreciate your time and knowledge, I was so lost on how to search for the right one and what to look for, this really is incredibly insightful
>>
>>1231656
Any idea on what miter gauge to get? Always hear excellent things about Incra
>>
>>1231664
>Any idea on what miter gauge to get?

Incras are good but expensive
I would just make a miter gauge sled
Building all sorts of sleds is what is going to make your table saw versatile
>>
>>1231594
Whatever you get it has to have an all-metal construction. The plastic frames ones tend to split or crack after a year. Especially if you use the table saw out in sunlight.
>>
File: sawstop.jpg (1MB, 2835x1999px) Image search: [Google]
sawstop.jpg
1MB, 2835x1999px
>>
>>1232012
lol
>>
>>1232012
Listen to the saw, stop.
>>
>>1232016
>>1232152
Why are you acting like its a meme?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq3o0VGUh50
>>
>>1232621
>Why are you acting like its a meme?

Because it IS a meme

>non standard crappy miter slots
>crappy stamped steel wings
>very subpar fence
>build quality of your typical $700 table saws but actually costs $1800
>cutting green or wet wood, or accidentally running into a nail/stable will set it off
>expensive blade is destroyed, new $75 safety cartridge needs replaced
>You have to put it into "bypass mode" to check if your wood will set it off
>bypass mode will cut your hand off just like a regular saw
>in regular mode, you MUST be touching the table top with bare skin so that if you touch the blade it will close the circuit and the safety will engage
>one hand on the wood and one hand on a pushstick, you throw your hand into the blade it will NOT engage and youll cut off your hand
>deflect your blade bad enough to cuts into the insert, it will engage, kill your blade and need a new cartridge

And even with all of its downfalls, the most egregious part of sawstop is that they are bloodsucking corporate scum
They are trying to put in legislation to make sawstop type mechanisms mandatory in all table saws.

At the same time, they are patent trolling Bosch.
Bosch made a much better designed safety mechanism called the REAXX and had to stop selling it for the time being due to the lawsuit.

If they have their way in court, moderately priced good table saws wont exist as they will have to have the sawstop installed. And with the patents they have, you arent going to see another brand making similar safeties without paying large royalties and such.
Bureaucracy in the name of pure greed
>>
Get one with a solid arbor (test for blade wobble with a dial indicater) and an accurate fence that locks from both ends. Also one that is easy to cover up and direct dust.
>>
>>1232648
Sad pepe.artifacting
>>
File: 61mKMPHFcEL._SL1500_.jpg (125KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
61mKMPHFcEL._SL1500_.jpg
125KB, 1200x1200px
This has been on my mind for a while. Should I take it off my mind?
Bosch GTS 10J . Any thoughts or experiences on this?
I need to make shelves and tables for home, and maybe as a side business on weekends.
>>
>>1233129
Its going to be like every other high end "jobsite" saw
Do you NEED it to be ultra light and portable?
>>
>>1231594
honestly probably something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqLGtpfbRIM
>>
>>1233150
man that thing runs quiet too.

a beautiful heavy duty saw
>>
>>1233139
Pretty much.
I'll be wheeling it in and out of my garage /driveway since I don't really have shop space.
I take "like any other jobsite saw" means loose fences, wiggly guides and off-square cuts.
What's the acceptable tolerance for the 5-cut method anyway?
>>
>>1233233
>I take "like any other jobsite saw" means loose fences, wiggly guides and off-square cuts.

You are sacrificing a cast iron top for an aluminum one. Cast will last decades if you take care of it.
You are also sacrificing wings to the left and the right of the table while having a very short fence.
You can get a max cut of 1.5 feet on that thing, which is not very much at all.

Look at all the people who "mod" them out, they add them into a large outfeed table and replace the fence for a much longer cut
>>
>>1233238
Thanks for the wise advice Anon. Will do on your words! The wood gods thank you.
>>
>>1233129
I have one of these.

The guide rail is quite alright, though I always set it with a square just in case, the mitre gauge is as shit as the online reviews make it out to be.

Got it as options for table saws where I am are extremely limited - the old saws are horrible, imprecise, hand ripping Soviet crap, and the alternatives were the much wobblier green Bosch, and comparable crap.

I'll definitely be making a saw bench with wings for it when I have the time, though, as >>1233238 is right in terms of pieces it can handle as is. 1,5 foot is a bit low, anything up to a 3 footers is actually mostly fine.

The slots are 16mm, so acquire that and sled building is not a problem.

I switched the blade to a Freud 40T, and that now serves for both ripping and fine cuts just fine. The angling of the blade and raising/lowering is smooth, so with some fiddling you can get exactly what you want.

Depends how much you're going to pay for it, mine was an incredibly low $500, so worth getting and modding later. I'd say I'm happy with mine, and have made some good work with it.
>>
>>1233278
Likewise, thank you as well for the wise words. Being a FLIP, my options are limited, and this may be the best I can get balancing decency and portability. Cost here is $700 to $800 brand-new and delivered through an online shop. It's a far cry from $500, but will be a time-saver for sure. Cheers Anon!
>>
>>1233344
If you're in Yurop, have a look at Axminster, got mine off there. Local price was like 900.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.