[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Catalytic Convterer + Gas Lawnmower

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

File: 35944_full.png (131KB, 459x473px) Image search: [Google]
35944_full.png
131KB, 459x473px
I was wondering if any of you might know how to either make a catalytic converter for a lawnmower or re-purpose an existing one for a lawnmower?
I just got done mowing my lawn again and I can tell I breathed in a lot of terrible stuff. It feels like sludge in my throat and I start to get massive headaches every time I do it; it's also more difficult to breathe.
I read news stories from 2014 that said there were who had working catalytic converters that could be fitted to mowers, but of course 3 years later you still can't go and buy one of them.
Failing getting a catalytic converter I guess I'll just have to get one of those crappy electric mowers, because I just can't deal with this shit anymore.
Please help /diy/.
>>
Either you're just a pussy or the engine is fucked up
Fix one or both of those problems
>>
>>1231299
An hour of mowing creates the same gasses as a 100 mile drive. I'll go with trying to install a converter...
>>
>>1231297

It wouldn't be that hard. The only caveat you need to know about is that catalytic converters require spare oxygen/exhaust in order to actually work. In modern engines, there are sometimes no provisions on the cat itself for this, relying instead on the ECU itself to rapidly alternate between lean/rich condition. You'll need a cat that has an oxygen injection tube (and, of course, a suitable pump to actually inject said oxygen), and to be sure that the engine runs slightly lean.

Found all this crap out when trying to get an old-ass truck to pass smog. Discovered a bunch of holes in the exhaust letting air in, dropping HC but driving NOx emissions through the roof.
>>
there are catalytic converter for motorcycles they are small and you onl shove them in the exhaust pipe
>>
If you do end up going electric, don't mow your grass the last time for the season and then just leave your half-dead battery in the garage over winter. Put it on the charger at the very least.

I've picked so many $250 batteries out of the recycling this year that I'm thinking of building an ebike.
>>
so the electric company will have to burn more fuel to charge your batteries...
>>
>>1231301
>100cc engine, running low rps, sipping petrol through a pinhole carb
>liter+ engine, wide range of throttle positions, direct injecting two or more GALLONS of fuel
>samethinglol
Yeah, no you're an idiot AND a pussy.
>>
>>1231297
Sounds like you have allergies. Wear a particle mask or take a Benadryl.
>>
>>1231297
Go electric or push mower you moronic fucking pussy and never post this drivel again.
>>
>>1231318
>Yeah, no you're an idiot AND a pussy.

I believe he's referring to the fact that modern automobiles create almost no pollution while uncontrolled lawnmowers pump out a ton. I agree with the other guy that OP is being bothered by dust or something from cutting the grass, or his engine is pumping out a cloud of blue or black smoke that no cat will affect in any way.
>>
>>1231322
OP here. No blue or black smoke, but sometimes white smoke - like really thick white smoke. The mower is only a few years old.
I think most of the problem comes when I mow the fenced in side-areas of my house. These areas, though open, don't get as much wind coming through as my front lawn. So as I mow these areas, the smoke pretty much stays around as though it was trapped in a tunnel, and I end up breathing some of it in.
>>
>>1231332
Either you're mixing 2 stroke oil into your gas or your engine oil is leaking into the cylinder.
>>
>>1231332
I'm going to assume this is a four stroke engine.
White smoke is usually from water (or more often coolant in a car) in your fuel. If your gas tank or the gas can you leave in your garage arent sealed you're letting moisture from the air dissolve into the petrol over time which will cause this to a minor degree. Foul or acidic-smelling light grey, or light blueish grey smoke indicate that you're burning oil. It'll be especially bad on startup if this is the case. Some mowers have a terrible problem with this if you lean it over the wrong way when changing the blades/cleaning it. If you're doing everything right and still burning oil, change your gaskets and any valve stem seals. These are issues that a catalytic converter will not solve.
If you're determined to throw a cat on your mower for some strange reason, look for a small motorcycle or moped exhaust pipes as the flanges will be closer to the right size, shape and layout to mount to your current engine. The main obstacle will be getting it mounted.
>>
>>1231351
Also, you could be "dumping". If the engine doesn't spark due to a dirty/corroded plug, bad coil, or damage to the wiring you could be blowing unburnt fuel straight into the muffler. Your exhaust will smell like fuel and the engine will sound irregular or "pop".
>>
>>1231321
I did both. I dont recomend. Electric wheelchair powered push mower.
>>
>>1231351
That e85... gotta love corn juice
>>
>>1231410
Oh yeah, I figured it was just common sense not to put high fructose corn syrup in a lawnmower but that could give you a myriad of problems. The only people who think corn gas is a good idea are corn farmers and lobbyists.
>>
>>1231297
Its sinuses, not the fucking mower
>>
>>1231409
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2rzsm1Qi6N1X-wuOg_p0Ng
>>
>>1231580
Sorry I fucked that up.

Check out the additives section.
>>
>>1231317
but economies of scale and different processes available can mean that they can do it far more efficiently.
>>
>>1231297
Not going to work as you need enough control over the a/f ratio to constantly go from lean to rich to get the cat converter to work. Also harden up, it's a fucking mower in the open air.
>>
File: ReelMower.jpg (23KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
ReelMower.jpg
23KB, 650x650px
>>1231297
Try this instead.
>>
>>1231315
You're not supposed to leave a battery half dead? I'm looking at getting an electric mower and people recommended that you leave it at 40% at the end of the season... which is it?
>>
>>1232021
Non-lithium batteries: store full
Lithium batteries: store at 40% state of charge + a little more to keep from over-discharging over the off-season, also, don't allow to freeze

>>1231315
>building a battery pack out of a bunch of mismatched, abused batteries
>>
>>1231297
OP you're allergic to the mold growing in your lawn or something
>>
Lel, i have circular welds and straight pipes where the cats should be on my V8 and this tragic anon wants to fit his lawnmower with them

>o i am laffin
>>
>>1232220
Is blaming mold for everything a new /diy/ meme?
>>
>>1232321
Mold can fuck you up homie.
>>
Just wear a fucking dust mask. It's not the exhaust, it's your lawn.

Catalytic converters need an engine tuned to use them and sufficient surplus of air. Just by an electric or better yet a push mower.

A sharp push mower lasts forever and cuts well. No gas, no batteries, no problem.
>>
You have allergies, dummy. Mowing grass stirs up pollen and mold.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.