[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Arc welding power?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 20170821_1654463603.jpg (80KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
20170821_1654463603.jpg
80KB, 1000x1000px
OK /diy/, need you to educate me. My Google-fu is weak. If I buy an arc welder, how do you power it up? Just plug it in and go?
>>
>>1231233
>Just plug it in and go?

for that particular one you also need sticks. a mask and gloves come in handy as well.

also that one has a 50 amp plug which is not commonly found except behind a stove or dryer.
>>
yes provided say your common houseplug is 10 amps, and the welder has a 10 amp plug

if not and the welder is a 15amp plug then you can either get a 15 amp outlet done for your garage, or get a 15 to 10 amp cable. also there's three-phase welders which you probably wouldn't be able to run in your house
>>
Thanks all. That was quick!
>>
>>1231243
>also there's three-phase welders which you probably wouldn't be able to run in your house
And this depends on location but OP seems to have a plug found across the pond so one assumes el murricano, or north Mexican.
>>
>>1231233
you probably need at least a 220volt outlet, so you'll have to find the breaker box and figure out how to run a line to it and install a new breaker without dying.

I would personally pay an "electrician" to do it for me if I have any doubts about not getting electrocuted.
>>
>>1231233
I hope you're not planning to weld inside your house....

The UV light from welding will fade the color of every material it shines on too, not to mention the flying bits of burning metal, smoke, etc.
>>
File: nemaspecs.gif (60KB, 675x712px) Image search: [Google]
nemaspecs.gif
60KB, 675x712px
>>1231233

theres a few different 220v outlet types

my miller thunderbolt has a NEMA 6-50P (50A plug)
>>
>>1231263
If OP is getting the tombstone he posted a picture of, it will be a 50amp plug.
I have lived in houses that had them, but you're more likely not going to have one unless you install it yourself.

Installing outlets is pretty easy.
>>
>>1231241
>not commonly found except behind a stove or dryer.
dryer is usually a 30A
range is usually 50A but not the same as on the Lincoln cracker-box
>>
>>1231233

That's called a tombstone for reference. I used to have one. If you have a electric clothes dryer it might just need an adapter. Be mindful of the amperage draw though. More than likely you are not going to run over 1/8" electrode unless you are building a nuclear submarine in your garage.
>>
Go here for all your welding questions at any skill level I'm not affiliated but have over 4,000 posts here because best welding forum.

http://weldingweb.com/forum.php

AC only used to be the main game in town before cheap solid state rectifiers. Otherwise you needed a DC generator powered by gas or an electric motor. AC is underrated. There are AC electrodes for most tasks, so goto welding forums and learn what those are. 6011 is fast-freeze cellulose and works well with shitty steel and poor fitup, but clean your work for best results!

I have one ( AC-225/DC-125) since the late 1980s and it will run, but not maxed out, off a typical 30A dryer outlet. I keep an adapter pigtail to go from dryer plug to 6-50 socket. That welder is designed only for 240v single phase like most capable machines.

The earlier round top versions gave rise to the tombstone nick. They are excellent too and it's common for units from the 1940s to be serviceable today.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.