[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Laptop into media PC need help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

hi /diy/
since /g/ is not for tech support you are the only ones i can ask for help

since watching this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3fnsGHe8eE) i have been working on a media PC for myself and i have a huge problem

i have this rekt laptop from my friend that i want to use (only a mobo left nothing else was useful) i have found pins that i need to use as power button and if i short them mobo actually tries to start up
>fan spins up
>hdd rattles into life
>external keyboard lights up
>no signal into external monitor
any idea what can i get external monitor working on this without using laptop screen / windows ? (pic related - mobo im working with "la-9631p")
>>
Possible that the external screen is disabled. There would be a key combo on the keyboard that came with it if you still have it. Also if Windows is installed you can do Windows + P to enable it as well
>>
i was thinking about is but since i dont have a working windows on this machine nor can i see if anything is wrong since i have no working screen i need a solution that i can apply while mobo posting or something like that

i have actually found out that HP notebooks just need the lid closed to use external monitor as a default one but since i dont have a lid to begin with i cant try out if this lenovo board has the same feature
>>
The gpu unit is probably fucked. Is it a dedicated gpu or integrated? If its integrated, the controller is probably fucked depending how old it is, you could probably switch to integrated graphics but idk
>>
OP here it most likely just has integrated gpu (Intel HD Graphics 4000) but the cooler touches two places on mobo even tho chipset for storage is on the other side of the mobo (pic related)

soo im not really sure i hope its just some lenovo shit that they used just to make stuff shittier
>>
It has a separate heatsink for the GPU. Its probably not intergrated but should have the option to change between integrated and dedicated. Check if the HDD is damaged, some laptops will not boot or outright not show anything on screen if an HDD is connected but can't communicate with it. Do you have the builtin keyboard? If so please connect it and see if any of the LEDs turn on, it might show you an LED code.
>>
I think it 'should' probably sense that there is external VGA attached, and fuck all on the internal video connector and switch accordingly - accordingly, something prob. borked stopping it from booting.

DOES it beep?
you have the old keyboard still? - monitor switch is prob on a non-easily-reproducible custom key combo, but, if you can reattach, briefly, be good to test..
you have ram plugged in, etc.? (difficult to tell from pic) - otherwise, going nowhere

If none of that gets you further, can try booting a live CD that maybe recognize the external VGA monitor, either from USB or external CD. BUT its a high possibility you aint seeing shit because it aint actually booting, for whatever reason. Been better if you had a laptop you know runs, broken screen or whetever, no problem, can then disconnect piece for piece while checking it still boots.
>>
I did that to my Asus X5DIJ before it got fried. The thing was old and i broke the screen off when i was drunk. If i am correct i got it to work after going to the Enable safe mode menu and there was an option that did enable VGA mode. Try that.
>>
I got an old lenovo laptop with a cracked screen and dead hard drive once. External monitor was disabled by default. Can't remember what fuckery I did to get it working, but I want to say I watched a youtube video showing how to enable it from bios or whatever. I just copied the commands blindly and the monitor came on.
>>
I had an old VAIO laptop. I was so done with it, I hit it with a hammer because it froze. Long story short, it only turned on but no video signal on either the monitor or external monitor. A few years later I found it again and decided to fix it. All I did was reset the CMOS battery and voila that shit was working again but only through the external monitor. Try reseating everything you can, RAM, CMOs battery etc
>>
Post pic of underside
>>
When the computer boots, there should at least be a splash when the bios loads. If you cant see that, the graphics might be shot

>>1231202
>OP here it most likely just has integrated gpu (Intel HD Graphics 4000) but the cooler touches two places on mobo even tho chipset for storage is on the other side of the mobo
A lot of laptops I've seen have heat sinks over chipsets; its ntot uncommon.
>>
If you know the model, lookup how to enter the boot menu. Smash that button as soon as you start it up and if you still don't see shit, youre fucked
>>
>>1231159
check ram
with a bad ram cooling fan and hard drive will spin but won't boot into bios or will display anything

if the laptop has two rams
try booting with only one
changing the ram and the slots
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.