[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DIY Bookbinding

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

So, I'm thinking of doing some DIY Bookbinding because I've done the math and I think I can do it cheaper than Lulu. Been doing some reading on the subject.

Is there a reason that you don't see people doing Side-Stitched Casebound books, and it always seems to be one or the other? The fact that you don't need Folios and such, and can just use single sheets of regular paper and still make a full-sized book seems really appealing to me from a DIY perspective.

Secondly, any suggestions on materials for the case for case binding? I'd be particularly interested in a plastic or something more durable than the usual cardboard, that won't get dinged up as easily.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBc0gFyFGYY&t=31s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9P07WAbYHs
I too want get into bookbinding, but before that I need to
>Learn how to work with leather
>Find an efficient way of printing my own content (mostly edited .pdf's) in the correct order so once I fold, layer and group the small booklets that make up the book they are all in order
>Step Up my A E S T H E T I C S. If I am going to spend that much time with something I might as well make it good-looking

>and can just use single sheets of regular paper
I would advice to invest in something better than common-printing paper. What exactly do you want to do? A Sketch book? Do you want to print out an entire books and bind it yourself?

>I'd be particularly interested in a plastic or something more durable than the usual cardboard
Cardboard is fine. There is also special Book-binding cardboard, it is dense, hard but a lot more thin than cardboard
>>
>>1230889
I want to print out a shitton of out of print and PDF only RPG books for my shelf and gaming group, as well as my own homebrew stuff.

The important thing about printer paper, is not the quality of paper (I'll probably buy some semigloss stuff) but the ability to print it on 8.5x11 sheets, from my consumer grade laser printer. I don't want to have to invest in an expensive printer that can handle 11x17s.

The fact that I don't have to go through the hassle of editing the PDFs to print on folios like you described is a bonus, as is not needing my books to be a multiple of 4 in pagecount.

Those are the reason I'm favoring side-stitched single sheets.

>Cardboard is fine.
Some of my purchased RPG book have had the cover start to peel off where they got dinged on something, and the cardboard underneath doesn't hold up so well once the protective cover is off. Which is why I really would prefer some kind of thin black plastic.
>>
>>1230954
>I don't want to have to invest in an expensive printer that can handle 11x17s
You have three options
1. Rob a bank and get another printer
2. Aquire 8.5*11 glossy paper (Or make your own)
3. Get someone else to print it for you professionally in whatever paper you want

>I don't have to go through the hassle of editing the PDFs to print on folios
In that case those prints must be very small. So using leather or other expensive materials is not justified (unlike me, where I will print substantial books or make anthologies of smaller ones. So I will also get into leather)

>cover start to peel off where they got dinged on something
Still, you should simply be careful with books, and stick them very well. Even like that, you can use metal or plastic corners to make it look good, hold the folds of paper and protect it from falls
What about synthetic leather and Binding cardboard? That cardboard is hard af, and the Leather can't peel off that easily. Is is also cheaper than regular leather
>>
>>1231091
>Three Options
#2 is the plan.

>Very Small Prints!
No no. There are several bookbinding methods which employ a stack of individual unfolded sheets. Such as perfect-binding, or side-stitch (which is what I'm leaning toward).

>Leather
I mean, it's an option, but I was thinking glossy full-color printed covers, it helps differentiate them from the other books, while not being in a completely different visual style to my purchased books. It would help with durability though.

The cardboard only starts to be an issue once the cover gets nicked or the like.

>Just be careful with books
They get passed around by a bunch of people and hauled around in crates/boxes or bags for reference purposes on the fly, often off-site. It won't be like a dictionary or novel, which will be stored safely on a shelf until I look it up and then put it back. Hence my desire for a more rugged material than cardboard.

>Reinforced corners
Not a bad idea. I like it.
>>
a personal hero of mine, Jimmy Diresta did this and his video is no bullshit and concise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJITw1HOKS4
>>
good thread, am about to start my first coptic stitch book. Can post results tomorrow or the day after
>>
>>1231098
>stack of individual unfolded sheets.
Oh, now I get it. However, how does one ensure that one gets the holes perfectly places and straight in such a small place? Are you using a drill or will you just employ surgical precision manny times?

>They get passed around by a bunch of people
For all practical purposes always build your projects as if everyone was stupid and were unable to take care of anything
Yeah, you are better off with something more plastic-like. Go to stores and see what they sell, you will get a much better idea of what you can use if you actually go and feel the material (and make sure that is sticks well, or that can be sanded a bit for the same effect). Once you choose it I guess that you can treat it like any cover
>>
File: shopping.jpg (11KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
shopping.jpg
11KB, 360x360px
I've been looking for a good book binding guide for a while. Thanks /diy/.

I want to place a small /diy/ laptop in a book hollow, but could never find the right size. I settled on the idea of just binding my own book and it'll be the perfect size, and I won't be ruining a book in the process. The easiest paper to get my hands on is plan copy paper from Staples. Will this do?
>>
Any of you folks know a decent program for generating signatures from a PDF?
>>
>>1231114
*Jimmy (((Diresta)))
>>
>>1231904
>Nazi virtue signaling

back 2 /pol/
>>
>>1231921
Diresta might be a faggot, but you still need to go back to /pol/.
>>
Isn't book binding /po/?
>>
>>1231344
Definitely a tiny drillbit and a rig with a vice to hold the stack in place.

>>1231884
I used Adobe Acrobat Pro, personally. You can do it through the print settings.
>>
I'm currently producing a modern english version of Animadversions of war and have decided on whipstitching and a limp vellum binding of single leaves to bind it.
Problem is theres no modern transcription only a few scans so I'm having to edit every single image and woodcut to work on white linen paper.
Initial layout in google docs, but will transfer into quark [As thats what I know] for printing.

Also period font: http://www.antipope.org/feorag/freestuff/chapbook.html
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.