[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Grout removal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_20170819_125815.jpg (3MB, 3036x4048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170819_125815.jpg
3MB, 3036x4048px
Just did this backsplash and the grout was dark going on dark time so I didn't see how much I left on.

Any tips for getting this off?
I tried the grout Haze remover with a nylon brush and vinegar but neither really worked
>>
scouring pad and warm water
>>
And do it fast as it's fucked up to do when it really sets. Been there.
>>
>>1230307
TSP will speed things up alot if its completely dried
>>
>>1230303
What's with all the gaps? Do be such a Jew, slather that shit on their and pack it tighter than your boyfriend's shit in his ass.
>>
>>1230315
My wife actually did it when I wasn't home. Which is probably why it's in this shape right now
>>
Currently scraping it all off witha razor
>>
>>1230371
just get some tsp you limey cunt
>>
>>1230403
>you limey cunt

how are you sure he's british. some canadians are pretty stupid too.
>>
>>1230406
no self respecting canadian would let his wife do home improvements
>>
Look up brush bit on amazon they work crazy good.
>>
>>1230427
I bought a nylon cup brush from harbor freight but it was scratching the tiles
>>
first of all. that looks like shit and needs to be redone.

second; use a weak solution of muriatic acid with a sponge to remove the dried on grout.
>>
>>1230658
What looks like shit about it
>>
Look at any normal pic of grouted backsplash tile then look at yours. For starters, you didnt fill the grout lines enough or your grout was too wet and wiped of too easily. Have fun redoing that shit
>>
>>1231032
It is pretty obvious that your grout had too much water/poorly mixed. Then you over sponged with a too wet sponge to try to correct the problem. That is why your grout lines are spoogey and full of voids. Im not a tile guy, but that looks like shit.

Also dont use a razor blade on glass tiles, they will scratch. Use a something softer than the tiles like a plastic scraper. When you scrape the xtra off. Mix up some grout and cover it a gain. it will get better.
>>
>>1231040
When you say I didn't fill them enough you mean like the tile protrudes past it too much and it should be flush with the tiles?
>>
>>1231068
We mean your grout lines are full of voids, divots, and are uneven and all over the place.

Honestly that job is a total wash and there's no saving it. You can try to save it but it's still going to look like shit.

>Mix up the grout per the manufacturer's directions. If it says a certain amount of ml per volume then use the exact ratios provided.
>Slap some grout on your grouting pad
>Slap the grout to the tile and work it into the joints. Don't just spread it around. Work it INTO the joints but don't apply too much pressure if you have glass tiles.
>work the pad to skim off excess grout from the area you're working on.
>work in manageable areas.
>don't start another area until the area you have is good
>wait the specified amount of setup time as indicated by the manufacturer
>use a DAMP, not WET sponge to LIGHTLY buff the tile surface and clean the grout off. rinse frequently in a large bucket of water.
>work the grout lines with the sponge to get nice uniform looking grout lines that are slightly recessed from the tile face.
>the tile face should be as clean as a model home
>done, now just let the grout set up before doing anything to it.

Optionally, if you have glass or metal finished tiles use a resin grout which wont scour these surfaces. Resin grout uses a two-part chemical system to cure it and it much trickier to work with because of timing. I use it exclusively in the kitchen and bathroom because it doesn't need to be sealed and is waterproof.
>>
>>1231249
So I should just treat it down and redo it?
>>
File: wall_plate_standard_usa.jpg (432KB, 1323x1263px) Image search: [Google]
wall_plate_standard_usa.jpg
432KB, 1323x1263px
>>1231251
>So I should just treat it down and redo it?

it's actually fine the way it is. you chose mis-matched tiles so the fact that the grout is not factory finish perfect kinda goes with the theme.

give it a month, and you'll never think of the so-called flaws again, and all your visitors will either like them or not even notice.

this board is chock-full of phoney perfectionists whose only achievement in life is working out a deal with mom where she monitors her email to catch that request for a fresh plate of tendies to be placed at the closed door to their basement room.
>>
>>1231253
I bought the house for 50k and was hoping to just sell it for 60-70 in a couple years so I'm not really going for perfect just enough to make it look better than it was
>>
>>1231251
Yes the only other option would be an oscillating tool with a diamond plated attachment. cheaper than removing it all and redoing it but youll spend hours cleaning out every grout line
>>
>>1231253
No one is being a perfectionist and yes people will notice. It is ugly as hell
>>
>>1231492
>Sees 3 inches of it
Ugly as hell
>>
>>1231492
She cleary didnt mix her grout properly so yea it most likely all looks that bad
>>
>>1230410
There are no self respecting Canadians so his wife may have still done it
>>
>>1231249
I cleaned off some lines with my finger when grouting and was amazed at the Grove it wore in my finger pad. Crazy abrasive
>>
>>1231254
Depending on the market, you could probably just sit on it and do that
>>
File: red helmet tatoo.jpg (83KB, 466x235px) Image search: [Google]
red helmet tatoo.jpg
83KB, 466x235px
>>1230303

Using sanded grout with glass tiles. Probably didn't use backer board. Spacing is all over the place and over all too wide. Why didn't you use spacers? Everything that could have been done wrong was done wrong.
>>
>>1231558

Because you used the wrong grout.
>>
>>1231564
How do you fix the spacing when it's affixed to mesh

I'll probably just tear it down and put concrete board up this weekend. Lesson learned.
>>
>>1231564
You dont need backer board for a backsplash unless you plan on spraying the wall every time you turn on the faucet.
>>
>>1231573
Could I get away with giving a painted wall a good sand to put up a backsplash or would I need to replace the dry wall
>>
>>1231596
Sand down with 60 grit then wipe it with a damp sponge
>>
>>1231596
Putting a back splash directly on drywall is standard practice
>>
>>1231605
In Australia we use water resistant plasterboard behind basins anyway.
>>
>>1230336
Makes sense, I was going to say you need to take a class or something
>>
Whoever did that needs to learn to slow the fuck down, this looks like shit
>>
>>1231253
Look you don't have to get pissed, we're just saying whoever did it really needs to like look up some youtube videos and learn how to spread grout
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.