[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

help me repair my sawzall

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: 1014120.jpg (12KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1014120.jpg
12KB, 300x300px
So I was using my sawzall on an handyman job and it quit on me (slowed down and smoked). I didn't think much of it as it was hot and I was cutting a lot of metal.

So I take it home and the thing starts for me with some fireworks. I also feel the thing spray me with debris. Opening the thing up I find about 1/2 cup of gravel in the housing. There's really no natural way that much fine gravel would have worked its way in. So I suspect foulplay from shitty ex coworkers.

After cleaning it, the thing won't turn for me. I bypassed the switch and speed control and fed it AC. I get a loud hum from the motor but no turn.
>>
>>1230117
Sounds like one of your ball bearings exploded. Can you turn the motor by hand? The gears? Does anything feel 'rumbly'?
>>
>>1230119
This was actual pea gravel that either sucked in during cutting or otherwise.

It reciprocates when I turn the armature and that turns with little difficulty.
>>
I have a solid hunch that I wired this incorrectly on the way back.
>>
My wiring was right, but I was attempting to bypass by contacting the brushes directly. I needed to contact AC to the bottom brush and 3B for example. Anyway the armature and brushes and all run fine.

The switch and power cable test good.

That paints a bullseye right on the speed control. I wonder if this is just a voltage divider. Probably not since it's the size of about three quaters. Maybe it's PWM. I'll likely have to cave and buy the $13 part rather than rigging something up.
>>
File: part_p_130623_1083573216.gif (69KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
part_p_130623_1083573216.gif
69KB, 350x350px
>>
>>1230244
>speed control. I wonder if this is just a voltage divider
triac and diac with potentiometer/rheostat
>>
A coil is shorted. It's trash, buy a new one.
>>
>>1230559
I bypassed the speed control and had it running full bore. It got hot in a hurry and probably smoked a field coil for real.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.