[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/diy/, I need the technology savvy among you to straighten me

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: 1501496146975.jpg (64KB, 500x330px) Image search: [Google]
1501496146975.jpg
64KB, 500x330px
/diy/, I need the technology savvy among you to straighten me out.
I talked a lot about roofs two days ago, and now I noticed that the ads I'm seeing are all about roofs. I NEVER TYPED ANYTHING INTO MY PHONE RELATED TO ROOFS.
Is my phone listening to me all the time and picking up buzzwords and trying to sell me things based on that?
>>
>>1230084
i've noticed this happening as well, but not concerning roofs
>>
>>1230084
>Is my phone listening to me all the time and picking up buzzwords and trying to sell me things based on that?

Yes, this has been known for a few years now. Targeted ads from listening on your microphone.
All those terms of services you blow through without reading? All those permissions you look at and ignore when you install an app?

Talk about Taco Bell a lot, 20 minutes later youll see ads for it.

Technology luddites sound crazy until you understand the scope of your data and how its being used.
Remember all the people saying how windows 10 telemetry is ok?
>>
Yes it is. Do you have Facebook installed?
>>
>>1230092
No. Rooted phone and have been clean for two years now.
>>
>>1230095
Must be some other app. Facebook real bad about it and I'm pretty drunk rn to look into it more
>>
>>1230091
>Remember all the people saying how windows 10 telemetry is ok?
No.
>>
My second social goal is now to talk a bunch about dildos or some shit around my friends so it appears in their google searches. My first social goal is still to actually make friends.
>>
>>1230084
If you searched a term on google then any apps that use googles ads service will display results related to your search terms regardless of the device.

if you are signed into google on your laptop and you search for say "Ski Goggles".

then any android device you're signed into on your google account will then start displaying ads related to sporting goods.

my grandmother has my old laptop I never signed out of and now I suddenly have knitting and crafting ads all over the fucking place.
>>
>>1230084
Yes, and so is any other "smart" device you're around.
>>
>>1230084
Did you let your dog play with your phone?
>>
>>1230084
Yes.
I work in a factory with many spanish speakers, my ads have started being spanish.
Impressive considering I work in a noisy factory.
My guess is that phones are feeding data to eachother when in proximity for a length of time.
The fbi uses a similar tech to track people.
>>
since Google is the biggest advertisement website and Play Store is an app that has root-like permissions, your best bet is flashing LineageOS and not installing Play Store. Yalp Store is a good and lightweight alternative, F-Droid is good for updating open source apps that isn't on Play Store.
>>
>>1230143
Your second goal is an indicator of why you'll never reach your first goal.
>>
File: dialog-note.png (1KB, 32x32px) Image search: [Google]
dialog-note.png
1KB, 32x32px
>>1231070
YEP
>>
File: 1414397533450.jpg (42KB, 398x500px) Image search: [Google]
1414397533450.jpg
42KB, 398x500px
>>1230283
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.