[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sandblasting iron rails

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_7948.jpg (137KB, 400x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7948.jpg
137KB, 400x640px
These railings have so much built up paint and rust, I tried using a wire brush and chemical stripepr on one side, but its taking too long with too little results. I'm considering removing the rails and sending them out to get blasted and powdercoated. Do sandblasting companies also saw off the railing too, or will I have to find a different company to remove the railings? Am I going to have to pay a ton for both rails to be done (i'm in chicago, but close to the border of the city if that matters)
>>
File: IMG_7271.jpg (3MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7271.jpg
3MB, 2448x3264px
>>1229744
I know I've posted this project here before but this time its for a different reason.
>>
File: IMG_7270.jpg (3MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7270.jpg
3MB, 2448x3264px
>>1229755
>>
You may be able to find a place that will do soda blasting or dry ice blasting on site which would be cheaper than taking them for sandblasting. Call a few sandblast companies and see what they say. Putting them back on is the next fun part and it might be easier to get new rails when you factor in the cost of on site welding to put the old ones back up.
>>
>>1229744
Drill mounted brush or pad. or

A torch (don't breathe the smoke).

Naval Jelly treatment.

Use urethane paint, it sticks to everything.
>>
Jesus fuck are you still at this?

I don't think blasters are respossible for removal or fitting.

If you find an outfit that is owner operated they might be willing to do it.

Otherwise consider someone that does mobile blasting.
>>
>>1229770
>Jesus fuck are you still at this?

shhhh. OP's shaping up to be a classic.
>>
>>1229744
>cannot buy a 150 dollar air compressor at harbor freight and 30 dollar sand blasting attachment.
Do you guys think it over kill to sand blast my 70 year old wood house? should I pressure washer? I think I can use low level car one since the paint is already chipping away
>>
>>1229777
>>1229770
started in mid-May. I'll get it done eventually right?
I can only devote a few hours a week to it , and all the lead dust every time I sand is starting to give me cool powers
>>
>>1229783
Not a good idea.
>>
>>1229788
which one
>>
>>1229786
I gave you my way, I have like 40 foot of railing on the front porch. Works for me.
>>
>>1229789
Don't pressure wash wood that you intend on painting.
>>
>>1229783

No forget the gimmicks and just use a paint scraper like everyone else for the past century.
>>
>>1229791
>Don't pressure wash wood that you intend on painting.

It's done all the time. Pressure washing with bleach kills mildew, can blast loose paint chips off, and blasts dead paint off (this is why the water running off is the same color as the paint).

But you don't paint it immediately. Give it time to dry out. Use that time to find a paint store that has a good rep with respect to their shot of black procedure.
>>
>>1229744
Dude. Just go to harbor freight, buy their decent angle grinder, buy the wire brush that screws on the end. Yes you will have to take the guard off, don't be a pussy, just wear gloves. Wire bush the shit out of the railing, clean with your choice of paintprep, prime with etching primer.

It will literally take you 3 hours max to do that job.
>>
>>1229768
>Drill mounted brush or pad. or

I had to do this a few years ago for someone with very similar railing.

It's awful. The paint is usually pretty resistant to the wire wheel (might have been powder coat) and you still can't get into a lot of the crevices. It takes forever, between the slow removal rate and having to brush some areas manually.

Honestly, short of hand sanding, that'd be my last resort if I had to do it again.
>>
File: shot_of_black.png (257KB, 589x752px) Image search: [Google]
shot_of_black.png
257KB, 589x752px
>>1231328
>It's awful. The paint is usually pretty resistant to the wire wheel (might have been powder coat) and you still can't get into a lot of the crevices. It takes forever, between the slow removal rate and having to brush some areas manually.
> Honestly, short of hand sanding, that'd be my last resort if I had to do it again.

which is why real painters do this: scrape some, sand some, (optional rust converter), prime some, then one or two coats of oil-base or alkyd paint. It lasts a pretty good while.

t. original shot of black poster
>>
>>1231331
can attest, this is correct
i have/done/will continue to do it like this
>>
>>1231331
I hate to admit it, but Shot-o-Black is right.
>Scrape what scrape off
>Sand what sands off
>Rust convert exposed steel
>Two or three coats of an alkyd DTM paint.
You CAN find blasters that come to you and will do the work in place, but you'll pay more than the rails worth.

This is a troll thread.
>>
I used a torch, worked like a charm. Made the metal glow, can't get any cleaner.
>>
>>1229795
>shot of black procedure
Pro detected
>>
>>1231328
>It's awful.
>The paint is usually pretty resistant to the wire wheel
>still can't get into a lot of the crevices.
>It takes forever,
>having to brush some areas manually.
ITT a faggot OP who will shoot down all suggestions
troll thread detected
>>
>>1233614
OP here, that wasnt me
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.