[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, I just bought a small plot of land - going to build a tiny

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 3

File: home depot barn.jpg (111KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
home depot barn.jpg
111KB, 1280x720px
So, I just bought a small plot of land - going to build a tiny house on it - no, i'm not the guy from the other very similar thread.

monthly apartment rent = $600 - $1000

1 year lease on apartment = $7,000 to $11,000
2 years of living in an apartment = $14,000 to $22,000

own this land forever = $8,000
tiny house and utility hookups, other things = potentially another $8,000 - $10,000

estimated property taxes for my shit house = $600-$1000 every 6 months.
even if i'm wrong about that....if it's 5,000 every 6 months it's still 833 per month for something that is actually as mine as it can be, not some apartment with specific rules or lease agreements.

I plan to designate a shitty beat-down trailer on the property as an indoor garden,
What are some good resources for, how to grow a sustainable amount of food?
There are some reddits on the subject, and some specific websites trying to get me to buy their brand of bulbs and such,

But what is the final resources? Is there an Enchiridion, a Grimoire, a bible for growing edible food indoors, in a manner that specifically feeds me year-round?

I'm talking, harvest some shit, plant some new shit, every day - never run out of food, always have some manner of thing to harvest.
Is this attainable?
>>
File: 1422493437519.jpg (50KB, 547x471px) Image search: [Google]
1422493437519.jpg
50KB, 547x471px
>he bought into le tiny house meme
>>
Get yourself two shipping containers build your house out of that, throw 10 solar panels on top, buy some chicken wire from Home Depot, some seeds from Whole Foods and you're set for your little yoga house famalam.
>>
>>1229103
Back to /b/ with ya

>>1229105
I've punched the numbers,
shipping containers are not nearly as cheap.
Unless I get some old shitty rusted out one,
which would be harder to get a permit for anyway.
Home depot financed barn-shed it is.
>>
>>1229086
Just get a modular home ya dummy. No room gets real tiring real quick.
>>
>>1229208
not as tiring as paying rent for a place that isnt mine my whole life, working 50 hour weeks so i don't become homeless, as opposed to working 50 hour weeks to actually improve my home.

a modular home is like 50,000 dollars. that's a little bit out of my budget.
>>
>>1229208
>>1229211
Could you not simply extend the barn by tearing down some structural unimportant part of the wall?
>>
>>1229211
you can buy a used trailer home

they are like used cars, depreciate the day you drive them off the lot
>>
>>1229216
pretty much going to do this
probably by creating another room outside of the barn doors, as opposed to tearing down the wall
at least to the trailer / garden area
Unturned style

>>1229217
there's a used trailer home on the property, that's what is going to be pretty much my home until i can start financing the barn / shed, while i build credit n jazz.
>>
>>1229103
Gtfo back to /b/.
>>
>>1229223
Snap, just gut that trailer except for the shower and toilet, and tear out any rotten wood.
Plywood up any holes that you now have in the floors and/or walls, and slap some sealant paint on the walls, and some carpet on the floor if you please. (Or hardwood if you like, but that's work.)

Won't be pretty but hey, it'll be sanitary, clean, and dry.
>>
>>1229211
boohoo, get a mortgage
>>
>>1229230
that is the same thing as what i said
>>
>>1229231
no it's not
>>
>>1229232
a mortgage is,
getting in a huge amount of debt
for something that isn't yours until you pay the debt off
if you fail to pay the debt on time,
you are homeless again
>>
>>1229228
there is quite a lot of rotten wood.
the metal is all in tact though.
shouldn't i be insulating between the metal and wood?
>>
>>1229233
then pay the debt on time

50k isnt a lot of money for a house.
>>
Remember to save some cash on hand so that when someone notices you, and someone will, and they decide to report you for living there ('merica, where we shit on dreams) and the code enforcement office sends a man and the Sherriff, you'll need the cash for a place to stay.
>>
>>1229238
how i'm getting around that:
making sure it's to code first,
so there's nothing to report
>>
>>1229240
>permits
>inspections
>surveys
They'll just make you tear it down. If you don't they'll codemn it and do it for you, probably will bill you for it as well.
>>
>>1229242
I'm going to get a permit,
They're going to inspect it and OK it,
and the survey is going to be fine.
>>
>>1229245
Some jurisdictions don't allow you to do your own electrical. How are you going to deal with sewage?
>>
>>1229247
I'm going to call the electric company, and they're going to hook it up.
I'm going to get a septic tank professionally installed.
>>
>>1229245
They gave this to you in writing? That they will allow you to construct a shed (windows are not included more expense) and have a sewer hookup $6-10k) and permit you to occupy said shed for habitation?
>>
>>1229249
not yet
but i've researched the county and state ordinances and building code
and there's no reason they shouldn't.
>>
>>1229248
When he says doing your own electric he means the inside wiring, not dropping a line from the pole to the meter. You most likely need a licensed electrician and a licensed plumber to do that work. (And they will charge you big house prices, why would they waste time doing your tiny house when they can make big bucks fitting out a McMansion.). Only way you will pass inspection.

Add $20k for sewer
6-10k for dropping a wire from the pole.
(Let's hope you don't need a pole, another $10-15k.)
>>
>>1229253
You'll need an architects seal on the plans to submit them to the building department. Since you are modifying HD plans you will need new plans made... That should only be about $4-6k.
>>
>>1229254
okay, then i will pay a licensed electrician
dont need a pole, new meter if anything
no way its going to be 20k, still worth it

even if all of that, and im another 30-40k deep,
in the end i will have something that is mine,
with nothing to pay but property taxes.
5 years paying rent at an apartment = $48,000
so, as long as i live at this place for more than 5 years, it will have paid for itself and i will still have it afterwards - you don't have the apartment afterwards
>>
>>1229086
You could build a 24x24 garage with heat, electricity, fully insulated and finished with concrete foundation for less than 10k, and it would be a shit load nicer than a 50sqft tiny home.
>>
And you are sure the land is buildable and already passed a perc test? ( I know three people that bought land that due to code/zoning/environmental made it unbuldable. Now they are stuck with a perpetual for sale sign up.
>>
>>1229258
If you got 40k to burn why not just buy a house?
>>
>>1229258
I wrote $6-10K not $20K
>>
>>1229263
Because he doesn't realize the tiny house shit is an informercial.

Move to a place like Reading, PA where houses are starting at $12,000.
>>
>!FoxBoy/Fz2
>FoxBoy

His shed is going to be a furry rape shed
>>
>>1229548
Oh! Well that changes everything, carry on!
>>
>>1229086
Get an rv. Or, if you have a truck that can pull a 5th wheel, get one used.

Alternatively you could get a concrete pad poured and get a steel building kit. They're cheap as fuck.
>>
>>1229240
Tiny houses are considered mobile homes almost everywhere. When you factor in the costs of permitting, utility hook ups, inspections, ect it is better to build a small house over chasing fads like tiny homes. Even if you go modular they offer superior resale value and space for more than just you.

>>1229270
With an utter shit job market. Banks won't touch anything under 60K because it is too expensive for the owner to finance due to regulations. The sub 60k market is the home of all cash flip and burn "developers"
>>
Anon from other thread(s) that has already done this...

Code varys by county. Mine requires septic, nothing else to legally reside on a property.

I installed my own service pole, electric company does 300 feet hookup for free ($4 a foot above ground, $7 a foot underground after that).
I had a guy drill the hole and drop in a 16' pole, I installed everything on it- about $900 for everything including 2 breaker panels and wire/conduit for code inside and out of my cabin.(Get a main with a few breaker slots, not just a cutoff switch and meter so you can wire your well to it without going out from the cabin, also good for construction before you get the cabin hooked up. Some places require cabin to be hooked up before they wire service pole to main line- having a receptacle on the box is a loop hole around that).

Mobile homes are garbage. Nothing is standard.
Walls are thin ass panelling- even receptacles are mini/thin units to fit in the substandard thickness walls. A cuck shed is normal 2x4 walls like a house.

If your mortgage is only $50k, then you live in a shithole.
I had a craptacular apartment for $800 a month.
Now I have15 acres and a cabin for $450 a month.
>>
>>1229270
>Reading
Yes, move to the city that was the poorest in the country as of like 5 years ago.
Great Idea.
>>
>>1229223
if you've already got a trailer to live in, you might as well save up and build yourself a proper house. some of it you could even do in stages, like pouring the foundation.
>>
BTW all this crap people are talking about.
Inspections, Architects, perc test is why people build tiny houses on trailer frames. (they don't require any of these things)

But take it from someone who has done what you are attempting to do multiple time.
1. Don't Feel Discouraged
2. Move Slow. Find something cheap to live in, fix up your tiny house when you have extra cash, wait for down cycles in labor in your area (late fall/early winter for outdoor work, ect.)
3. Keep researching

BTW.. If you research growing marijuana indoors most of that information will work for your indoor garden. That industry being underground really produced excellent advances in indoor gardening.
>>
>>1229086
>not just spending ur budget on a foundation and and plumbing.

>not building your house in a month by urself
>>
>>1229233
>for something that isn't yours

That's an oversimplification. There is a lien on the title but you are the owner and every cent you put into the principal represents a portion that you will receive (minus whatever fees) if you sold it. In an apartment every cent you put in represents 0 cents you will receive when you move out.

The only things you're restricted from while under mortgage besides laws that apply to everyone are basically turning the house into a meth lab or just straight up demolishing it, and even then most lenders don't actually care, they'll just request the remainder of the balance due all at once. So technically you're not even really unable to do that.
>>
>>1229086
I just want to point out that I am building a 24x30 two car unfinished garage and the materials above are going to be 7500.The concrete span is another 7500. So I am not sure how you plan to build a whole "tiny house" and hook up necessary utilities for 8k-10k. Might want to drink that budget of yours.

Just listen to everyone else. You will probably get tired of the thing space. Just get a mortgage and buy a normal house. 4 room house with basement house for 35k-50k would be perfect for you. Mortgages and debt are not bad, just learn how to manage your money better.
>>
>>1229254
Complete bullshit numbers. Seriously, I do this for a living.
Don't falsely inflate shit to squash anon's reasonable and attainable dreams. Fuck you.
>>
>>1229693
You have a mortgage and you're trying so hard to make it seem okay and reasonable. Sorry.
>>
>>1229721
people who push other people into mortgages are just people who want other people to fuck up as much as they have

>>1229717
yeah, 20k for sewer is like, nah dont think so
but i have a neighbor who does septic professionally, can probably give me an OK deal
still, again, even if its 20k, i'm okay with that over leasing an apartment

and to the people saying i should use my budget elsewhere -
my budget is ultimately, the 8k used to buy the property which was a loan that i'll be paying off within like 4 months tops,
and , either through personal or vicarious loans,
doing the work and repairs on the property.
so it's not money that i "have".
my partner and i make like 3k a month working for the state,
which is how we're paying off the loan and probably how we'll be paying for materials and the bills for utility hookups.

>>1229643
um, thank you for the advice - i can imagine that information being useful, but, as far as producing vegetables and fruit, surely there's a better resource?

also, i specifically want to be in this location, as far as why i'm not moving elsewhere.

what it's looking like is, going to get some loans to fix up that trailer the best we can (basically replace the wood, pay for the hookups), live in it while we figure out the rest / save some cash.
>>
>>1229559
not to mention if they ever decide to build a highway through your new fort, a mobile home is still "mobile" no matter what you've attached to/upgraded it with. in other words, the house doesn't have value because it's attached to the property, nor does the property have value because there's a house attached to it. when the inevitably force you to gtfo, you will not recoup any of your investment.
>>
>>1229717
Then correct it for you location asshole. I live in Hawai'i, that's the prices here. There are like 10,000 such shed like dwellings here, doted on the landscape. My friend learned the hard way, he thought he would build his home as far back from the road as possible for privacy. That 200 ft run and a pole was $15,000.

So go ahead you teach him everything he needs to look out for because I know nothing according to you.

And don't forget to tell him how much you usually run over budget on every project you do.
>>
>>1229734
your better off getting a plumbing and a foundation guy, while you live in a trailer

Then slowly build your house
>>
>>1229717
• $18,280 for a single-family home;
• $13,915 for a multi-family residence;
• $10,495 for a mobile home park unit;

Local rates. I guess if OP is in Tumwater, Iowa, it will be more or less.
>>
>>1229240
Where are you? Inside of city limits? What's the population density like, in say, a 2 mile radius?
>>
op why not get a cheap mobile home and your land?
this one is $26k, 2 bed 1 bath 780 sqft
http://www.claytonhomessa.com/Homes/TR4009-0147/Images

they cost another few grand to get them installed and hooked up on your land but they have financing options and it'll be like living in a real house instead of living in a shed. Plus since it's new it'll last a long while until you can build a real house 10 years down the line. Also if you meet a girl and possibly have kids she's not gonna want to live in a nigger rigged tiny shed.
>>
>>1229776
I moved to the back side of a 5 acre plot.
My driveway is 1200 feet to the state road.
Power company set five poles, ran HV, put pole pig on last pole.
Service line from pole pig to house.
Total cost to me: - no charge -
>>
>>1229721
>>1229734

I do have a mortgage, but I didn't post anything pushing OP to take out a mortgage. Both of you are probably assuming that I am a person who's posted a bunch in this thread, but that was my only post, and only did it to clear up factual misstatements. Please feel free to point out what in my post was not simple facts.
>>
>>1229734
>is like, nah dont think so
don't talk like a fuckin teen girl
>>
>>1229940
im op, was talking about the post you were replying to

>>1229778
p much the plan at this point
>>
OP here
turns out i was scammed

The land was misadvertised
Information was withheld.

I was almost sold somebodys yard,
not a property.
>>
>>1229258
>then i will pay a licensed electrician

DIY, but find a retired or even a licensed electrician that will inspect and certify your installation for low cost or cheap. There is no reason that you couldn't put an advert in like craigslist for some help in this area. Same with plumbing should be able to find a licensed plumber to sign off on the installation
>>
>>1229086

https://www.homesteadingtoday.com/

I don't know where you live, but craigslist where I am, has a lot of mobile homes that have to be removed and are usually offered for free, just saying, you have to be patient
>>
>>1230375

Don't forget the barter network, offer like future produce, eggs, milk, meat, any skills that you have for electrical, plumbing, septic, foundation, etc..
>>
>>1229086
>Learn about hydrophonics
>buy LED growlights from china cheap
>arrange it inside in the maximum possible yield positioning

Maybe even aqua phonics if you want to eat the fish too.
>>
>>1229086
>https://www.homesteadingtoday.com/

https://slab.sites.ucsc.edu/aquaponics/
>>
>>1230391
>>1230379
Made an account -
Couldn't post.
It said, I should introduce myself, "HERE" and "here" linked to, a totally separate Indian forum, in Indian - which of course, I couldn't post on, because that's how forums work.

So, I can't post anywhere, even in the introductions thread.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (36KB, 1006x531px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
36KB, 1006x531px
>>1230395
>https://www.homesteadingtoday.com/

Thats strange. I believe that the mods there reach out to you first. I just logged in without problem. So I don't understand.

I just posted this 2 minutes ago....
>>
>>1229601
It is a great idea if you have a little savings like OP. Talyor Swift turned out just fine and Drew Barimore's Mom likes it there...
>>
>>1230367
Awwww and you really tried to come off looking like you had all the answers... and everyone was an idiot for making suggestions.
>>
>>1230367

You have to make sure that any money is put in escrow and that you do a survey and title search before the money is released from escrow. Another thing is to get a buyer's real estate broker to guide you through this process. For example, if the seller never had legal easment to access to your lot, you might end up buying a piece of land that you can't access!

Scammers abound all the time in real estate. I'll bet when they hear "title company" "escrow" "real estate agent" they'll run quickly as it means that you are doing your due dilligence and it would expose the scammer quickly. Also what about water? Where I am at, if you don't have a source of water and an approved septic installed you can't occupy the property.
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.