[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do we feel about sharkbite fittings?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

File: images (2).jpg (7KB, 303x166px) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
7KB, 303x166px
How do we feel about sharkbite fittings?
>>
>>1228922
I've used them for a hot water tank, and they seem to work pretty well. Especially good if the main valve into the house is leaking a bit, so you can't get the water totally shut off to make a clean solder (without resorting to the white bread trick)
>>
>Inb4 buthurt plumbers
>>
>>1228922
I love them. Fuck sweating and cementing. Although, I had to replace all of them in my house after news broke they had lead in them that was above x limit. Now they are more expensive because of that....they still have lead in them though.
>>
>>1228922
Expensive but man are they convenient.

I don't like the fact that there are 'tools' to get them apart, but eh... if I was doing plumbing regularly I'd pay for them. It'd save time.
>>
>>1228944
>>Inb4 buthurt plumbers

People care about things being done the right way
>>
I remember reading that they are rated for in-wall usage, but I keep forgetting to see if there are any local things or minor codes about push fittings.

The repair couplings they make are great for when some dumb shit puts a screw through a pipe and you don't want to rip open more wall or run the torch in it.
I'll admit push fittings have made me lazy at times, but it's easier and cheaper than having to run a torch next to 70 year old dried framing, or blown in paper insulation, or trying to repair a line under a conventional foundation house where the copper is half buried and you have no room and no way to drain out all the water etc.
And if you need to cap off a line temporarily for kitchen renovation for instance, or just moving lines around, those caps are much faster than using compression union/cap or trying to sweat a cap on.

Their pressure regulators are great as well if you want to put it inside the house, just have to find a nice spot at the main valve.

If you use them regularly, those tongs are worth getting. It saves a few minutes compared to a crescent wrench or that plastic clip.

But I will never use the ProPress system.
>>
if at all possible, I'd solder it instead

>>1228967
I concur
>>
>>1228922

I don't trust any connection that relies on a non-metal gasket for long-term (as in decades) use.

Call me again in 30 years and I'll review my opinion then.
>>
I have a sharkbite ball valve as a shut off in my house, couldn't get the gate valve to shut off so I couldn't solder anything, flow was too much for bread. Kept me from having to shut it off in the front yard.
>>
Great for /diy/ers because they're hard to fuck up.
Great for odd jobs where using a torch is hard or unsafe.
Great if time is a big concern.

Terrible on the wallet though.
>>
>>1228922
These are amazing, and work awesomely.

My parents had a illegally installed vampire clamp for their water line to the fridge that was leaking.

Plumber wanted $250 to come out, and fix. I have zero experience working on pipes. So I came here, and was recommend this product.

Too like 10 minutes to install. Slide right in, and once it was on the pipe it was not coming off. Yanked on it hard, it was solid.

Been holding for a year now. Shit is the first.
>>
File: 1491888260851.jpg (6KB, 216x250px) Image search: [Google]
1491888260851.jpg
6KB, 216x250px
if you can't sweat you deserve to pay more
>>
>>1229064
No, i wanna move out of my shithole 5 years ago anon. 1/2" pvc laid on the ground under the house and fucking pack my shit.
>>
woah loads of shilling in this thread.
you guys never heard of compression fittings?
i mean of course soldering is the bees knees but if you are a pleb and don't have the kit for it then all you need is a couple adjustables and away you go.

>>1229307
woah, that must have had absolutely everything to do with the type of joint used and nothing to do with it being old and shit.
>>
>>1229881
Sweating sucks though. I can have a job done in 15 mins with pex and sharkbites. The same job using copper and sweating them can take fucking forever.

You know what is scary? There are people who use pex and sharkbites for their fucking gaslines. Though, it seems only the people who have free gas from a well on their property get away with it. Because the gas company does a pressure test and can tell when pex is being used and they won't turn the gas on at all (since it is all kinds of illegal).
>>
>>1229935
>pex and sharkbites.
yeah and it only lasts 15 minutes too and it looks like a dogs anus covered in haemorrhoids.

>>1229935
>The same job using copper and sweating them can take fucking forever.
wow do you work for the company or something? what takes you so much longer soldering?
put in a little bit of practice and you can do a job in copper in the same time as it takes with plastic.
>>
>>1229938
>and it looks like a dogs anus covered in haemorrhoids.

Why should I care about what it looks like when it is hidden behind doors, access hatches, and paneling?

>put in a little bit of practice and you can do a job in copper in the same time as it takes with plastic.

lol The same amount of practice with pex and sharkbite would blow you the fuck out of the water while you diddle your dick with copper. Sweating is fairly easy, but the time it takes you to cut a single piece of copper pipe I can have 6 cuts of pex done. You've never worked with pex before I see.
>>
>>1229971
how long does it take you to wrangle it around because its all curled up springing around everywhere.
i would care what it looks like because i take pride in my work even if nobody sees it also its easier to follow pipes that aren't pretzels.
i have worked with pex, mainly ripping it out because its failed and leaking everywhere or someone is unhappy about the loss of pressure from presumably all the tiny inserts.
you think i don't like it just for fun? nothing better to do? i don't like it because its nothing but trouble. i suppose its fine if you are ok with doing a slack job then packing up and getting the fuck out of there before the poor sap realises he's been had.
>>
>>1229987
I've never really had a problem from the coiling effect since I use hangers to put it into place and a quick, simple, sliding bend, with your hand, is normally more than enough to straighten it out. For the hangers I use one of those clip guns.

I've noticed that it is easy to incorrectly install sharkbite. A lot of people who install it don't seat it onto the pipe far enough for a proper seal. Fixing someone else's mistakes in pex has almost always been that problem.

>i would care what it looks like because i take pride in my work

It isn't like you can get it wrong really. You'd need to be a real moron to do that. Though, I've seen some things that you have to shake your head at. Like sawing through floor joists to run water lines and other retard shit. You don't connect sharkbite and pex using ribbons after all.
>>
>>1229040
I use pro press for condensate lines installing heat pumps. Been doing it for 5 years and no one in our company has had an issue. I actually know an hvac guy that quit brazing and uses a special pro press for refrigerant. Works for him. I don't think I will try that.
>>
>>1228922
I like sharkbites for some purposes. I only use them where they are easily accessible for inspection and easy replacement (crawlspaces mostly) If it's going inside of a wall, I just use crimp pex fittings. My sharkbites converting 1/2" copper to pex under the house have been holding up so far. I also used the sharkbite stainless braided water heater hoses, with pex plugged in. They also seem to be working fine so far. Not a leak anywhere.
>>
>>1228967
>>1229062
>>1229064

But the rubber gaskets in valves etc wear out way before then so why does it matter? You're going to have to be doing maintenance on the shit either way; at least sharkbites are easy as fuck to work with.

I really am starting to think that plumbers are being fags about them just because they know they'll lose business to homeowners who aren't willing to solder but are willing to perform the braindead easy steps necessary to install a sharkbite fitting.
>>
>>1230950
>But the rubber gaskets in valves etc wear out way before then so why does it matter?

Because I don't want to have to do maintenance on a fucking elbow or coupler. Even if there are some plumbing parts that will require maintenance/replacement, that doesn't mean I want ALL of them to be more susceptible to failure just for the hell of it.
>>
>>1230950
PEX + Sharkbite makes plumbing fun. It is funny because I know several plumbers who are angry as fuck for losing most of their revenue to it. And, those are the faggots that insist on a giant PEX manifold that costs over $1k.
>>
>>1230976

Fair enough. Then I'd say an amateur DIYer should learn how or get a plumber for things like connections behind drywall or if there is a series of connections like those needed to route around an obstacle. But for things like water valves I think sharkbite is fine.
>>
>>1229333
Terrible on the wallet if you're capable of soldering yourself. Buying push fittings is still cheaper than paying a plumber to come and solder something for you.
>>
>>1228922
Sharkbite fittings are to plumbing, what pocket hole joinery is to carpentry
>>
>>1229938
There is no chance in the world you can sweat a house as fast as i can pex one. Were talking days faster with pex which is thouands of dollers saved.

And if you know a few tricks pex looks great and saves a ton of fittings.
>>
File: 20170417_151651.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170417_151651.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
Fucking lifesavers. I was installing some new flooring and trim on a house, and whoever built the house decided it was totally chill to mount water pipes flush with the drywall. Found one of the pipes with a nail.

I am not by any means plumbing inclined, but that shit has held up 6 months so far.
>>
Sharkbite is shit. If you use it you are shit. I would trust compression fittings in my walls over shitbite.
>>
>>1231760
>t. Buthurt plumber
>>
I don't know about total longevity but I've installed several shark bite fittings at work starting 5 years ago and I've never had a problem out of a single one. I don't know if I would still feel safe putting one behind a wall in my home where it could drip for who knows how long it's caught but for something like a valve in the house or underground coupling I'd have no worries.
>>
>>1231309
go play with your old timey hand planers and your twirly mustache faggot
>>
>>1229938
Anyone doing any real work with PEX isn't using sharkbites anyway they're too expensive. PEX with expansion joints will last longer than copper and be incredibly cheaper.
>>
>A: SharkBite fittings and PEX pipe carry a 25-year warranty against any manufacturer’s defect as long as the item has been installed in accordance with the installation instructions and complies with local code.

lol are you guys gonna keep your receipts
>>
I am not a fan of sharkbite/compression style fittings, but I am intrigued by PEX. My understanding is everything is a home run so all joints are accessible. If the system ever had a leak it would be easy to spot and fix. It is a big debate I am thinking about because I plan on design/building a home in about 5 years and I can't decide between tried/true copper installation or saving a boatload on labor and material and going with PEX and a manifold.

For a time 12 and 10 gauge AL wiring was the best thing since sliced bread for 15 and 20 amp circuits. It took them awhile to realize it was a bad idea in the long run. CPVC they are realizing is crap-will PEX be next?
>>
>>1228967
Inafter butthurt plumbers.
>>
>>1233062
^ very this.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.