[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Making Wireframe Glasses?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: il_fullxfull.357501287_b2e5.jpg (37KB, 1200x959px) Image search: [Google]
il_fullxfull.357501287_b2e5.jpg
37KB, 1200x959px
How difficult would it be to make my own wireframe glasses, like pic related?
>>
>>1228724
A lot more diffictult and expensive than just buying them
>>
>>1228744
How difficult? Would I need crazy specialized hardware, or could it be done by hand?

I think it would be nice to be able to make my own, and I'd be willing to put in the time for it.

As for cost,most of the glasses I'm looking at now are in the $500-600 price range.
>>
frames are very expensive, especially if you don't have insurance. I am also interested in this, wood would make an interesting material as well. Bump!
>>
>>1228750
You would probably need some very specific equipment, and a lot of extras because it looks easy to fuck up. There are some websites that sell frames under 200$, you just have to look around and know exactly what prescription you need. Or you could buy frames and go into a shop to buy the lenses
>>1228755
Wood could potentially work, but it's hard to make a pair of wooden glasses good. I also saw a russian woman make wire woven glasses, but I don't know how you could fix the lenses on them
>>
File: bike wheel.jpg (14KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
bike wheel.jpg
14KB, 300x300px
>There are some websites that sell frames under 200$

the whole industry is a ripoff. for comparison, you can get a whole bike wheel for like $30.
>>
>>1228724
It isn't all that difficult. You will need some specialized tools specifically used for wire bending. The wire costs quite a lot, when compared to other wire types. With some wire you can anneal it then harden it when you are done. Other types like some stainless steel with full hardness (spring steel) won't harden correctly if you anneal it and will start to anneal if you bend it too much. If you work with these types of materials doing other things, this will be much easier. If this is your first time with any type of wire bending then you may need to make up to 10 pairs before you get it right.

With some things, you can simply grind the glass itself to fit the frame, if you have a special frame. This also requires a specific toolset and skillset.

Whatever you end up doing, you must know that you will need full protective gear for any wire bending. Spring hardened wire is a REAL bitch to work with and you need special cutters for it. So choose your materials and tools correctly.
>>
>>1228755
Framesvare dirt cheap, it's he prescription and lenses that cost
>>
>>1228766
>>1228777
I just got two pairs from eyebuydirect for $38
>>
>>1228778
Zennioptical is even better than eyebuydirect.
>>
>>1228724
The lenses are hard. If you already have the lenses, making the frames themselves is doable. The worst part will be attaching the lenses to the frames securely, since any other issue with the construction of the frames can be solved by being OK with looking like a retarded hobo.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.