[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I live next to a busy main road and I'm looking to put together

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: window plugs.jpg (412KB, 4320x3240px) Image search: [Google]
window plugs.jpg
412KB, 4320x3240px
I live next to a busy main road and I'm looking to put together some manner of plug that I can stick into my window to try and absorb the sound as much as possible (it's a rented property, so can't really make any permanent physical adjustments to the place). Anyone here done anything like this with any success? What would be the best material to use?

Pic is just one I grabbed off google.
>>
>>1228365
Hang heavy as shit curtains, and a Oriental wall rug.

Go over all window trim, and seal any gaps with sealent. Good for noise, and energy loss.

Double pane windows help a lot too.
Wooden blinds help
Bushes along your outside wall help as well.
>>
>didn't even check the catalog
>>1227081
>>
>>1228385
>didn't even read what he linked

Literally the first reply is what a shit scam of a video it is and the rest are about where to get body pillows to put on your wall.
>>
>>1228390
The basic principle applies though, thick layers of fabric makes for a pretty good sound absorber.
>>
>>1228390
>didn't even read the rest of the thread
>>
>>1228365

You could make some kind of indoor shutters that hang on the wall or just slide in and out of the jambs when needed and stored somewhere else. Maybe a frame with mineral wool insulation inside it and skinned with something light like 1/8" or 1/4" painted finished plywood.
>>
2 inch thick sheet foam, cut 1/4 inch larger than your window openings. Paint or cover with fabric, friction fit, tension holds them in place. (Can always glue two together for 4 inches, if your window can accommodate).
>>
screw pywood over winows leave hole to pour concrete inside cavity. when move remove pywood push concrete out
>>
>>1228365
>>1228715
as a day sleeper, i am really digging the light damping possibilities. blackout curtains don't really work unless you use something like velcro tape all the way around to seal the curtains to the wall.
>>
>>1228365
sound absorption has little to do with the material. it's about mass. the more mass, the less sound travels through. you're going to have to break into your wall if you wanna isolate the outdoors.
>>
File: sound-02-anechoic-chamber.jpg (1MB, 1600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
sound-02-anechoic-chamber.jpg
1MB, 1600x1000px
>>1229685
>sound absorption has little to do with the material. it's about mass. the more mass, the less sound travels through.

shape and material are important.

if you ever get the opportunity you should go into an anechoic chamber. there's something surreal about nothing echoing.
>>
>>1229713
>if you ever get the opportunity you should go into an anechoic chamber. there's something surreal about nothing echoing.

Reddit btfo
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.