[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Development boards general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 13

File: d2e.png (120KB, 463x428px) Image search: [Google]
d2e.png
120KB, 463x428px
What's your favorite dev board? What do you like to make with them?
>>
As a pro, you should really just buy whatever you need and throw it on a breadboard. As a hobbyist, buy whatever card comes in a kit with all the shit you need for your project.
I work at an electrical engineering office with a bunch of nerds and the only thing I've seen an Arduino used for in our shop is turning on our Keureg on a Monday-Friday schedule with a permissive input that keeps it off if the security system is armed. I hear Pi's are ok for tiny entertainment center controllers since they can output 1080p, so that's neat.
>>
been using Pis for simple shit like an adblocking DNS server and a simple NAS server. also got one running as a retro PI for old games.
>>
>>1228539
Pi Hole?
>>
>>1228543
yup, got the original PI for that, powered by being plugged into the router and has been running for 3 years with 0 issues.
>>
>>1228530
How about controlling servos? Its so easy with arduino
>>
File: 18vh1a.gif (2MB, 360x202px) Image search: [Google]
18vh1a.gif
2MB, 360x202px
>>1228530

I agree with this. Arduinos make it easy to do home projects and automation, if you get more into it you will probably move past that and just buy discrete components, put it on a drawing/layout, and then prototype it with a bread board. It's really up to you how much you want to get into it.
>>
>>1228284
Nice bait image.
Orange Pi masterrace reporting in. They have a variety of boards based on Allwinner SoCs, with a variety of peripherals particularly suited to a desired application. I have one Zero working as a router/packet filter, and another as a PIC programmer, I2C/SPI master and general bench buddy. I've got an Orange Pi PC on order as a nanoDLP host.

>>1228530
I agree with this. Especially if it's easy to put stuff on a breadboard because you have materials and equipment in-house to make good breadboards, or a more than adequate supply of SMD transfer boards.
Pis aren't actually too bad for those times when you just need Linux on a board and some GPIOs or medium-speed serial buses.
Arduinos, well, they're their own little ecosystem.
>>
>>1228284
my 3d printer is running an arduino and a pi
both useful
>>
>>1228581
You know, real servo drivers are a thing.
>>
>>1228989
Meant to post this. These are really easy to work with and they're 3 to 5 orders of magnitude more powerful, and an order or two more accurate than the output from an Arduino. Same with steppers. If all you're doing is making an RC car or an automatic thermos lid, it's probably good enough. https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Motion_Control/Servo_Systems/Drives_-a-_Motors_Components/SVA-2040

But ask yourself if next time you fuck up the fourth 58-hour 3D print in a row because the cheese-grade stepper slipped like crazy cause it maxed out the current output of your Arduino was worth the $150 bucks you saved so you could be proud of your industrious DIY-ness. It's surprisingly easy to get into bigger projects with real machines but home shop guys are just scared of making the jump. If you know where to look, "industrial" equipment isn't really that much more expensive.
>>
>>1229004
this so bad.
i started just getting used industrial servo/stepper drivers/amplifiers off ebay. not as cheap as a pololu upfront, but there is zero dicking around, everything is optoisolated , there are way more options, and its a much cleaner setup
>>
>>1228284
>What do you like to make with them?
I'm playing with the idea of a bluetooth portable speaker receiver with EQ/DSP to cheat with the basses like BOSE/JBL/Creative do.

Or are there dedicated DSP boards that work way better?
>>
>>1228284
arduino is fun for little atmega projects, but I grew up when real men used to stick their own PDIP chips and 7805s on breadbards.
>>
>>1228581
Orly?

Say i need to pull 6 levers wirelessly and individually. Would it work?
>>
>>1228943
I have no earthly idea wtf your post to op was about. My god i am behind the times
>>
>>1228989
Wireless?
>>
>>1229884
>wirelessly
Explain.
There's got to be wires somewhere. You could use one of their micro boards with its own battery receiving commands over Bluetooth or whatever running each servo separately.
>>
>>1229885
>I have no earthly idea wtf your post to op was about. My god i am behind the times
orangepi.org and be enlightened.

>>1229884
There are AVR chips that have a ton of onboard PWM, like the MEGA/U2 series or the ATMEGA640. The MEGA8 is not among them.
>>
>>1228943
Which orange pi is fastest? I need a Linux server.
>>
>>1230188

orange pi plus; there are several variants of it
>>
>>1229033
How would one go about finding those?
Where do you find any tutorials, or worksheets?
>>
>>1228530
Arduino is used a lot in R&D and design offices for proof of concept designs.
no one is going to spend money on components if they don't know the design is going to work.

Some businesses now off service to design pcbs and write the code based on your Ardui designs
>>
>>1228284
>>1228530
>2010+7
>not just buying micro controllers/processors and using them in embbeded systems
>carrying a big ass board arround
shiggy diggy niggy
>>
>>1230221
no it isn't. If you aren't completely mentaly disabled you can simulate everything before ordering it built
>>
>>1230221
simulations get you 90% of the way there.
you put something in a real environment and get switching failures due to noise, cable runs too long. some ones order pnp instead of npn switching sensors hardware proof on concept have their place.

nothing will substitute the speed of using a Dev board for proving a proof on concept.
>>
>>1230188
linux server for serving what
unless you especially need low power dont bother with a pi
>>
>>1230251
Literally just to run 3 php scripts.
>>
>>1230251
Back to /g/, Intel shill.

>>1230202
Performance on most workloads depends more on your selection of storage media than the chips themselves. It's more about optimizing the I/O and address size for your use case. Get a fast, app-rated microSD card, or use a USB mass storage device, and the board will run bretty gud. Warning, use a robust power supply for these devices if you want reliability. """Chargers""" are usually not robust power supplies.

>>1230221
>Arduino
is literally an overpriced ATMEGA breakout board with a usb-to-async-serial converter. I really really wish async serial would die in an electronics fire already.

>>1230242
>some ones order pnp instead of npn switching sensors
It worked fine as it was engineered. Anyway, that's a two-transistor fix in most cases.
>>
>>1230214
someonme might have a tutorial ive seen it more than a few times , but since its the same wiring as a pololu, like with the step/direction/enable, so i wire that right up to a pololu socket with the ground. manufacture datasheets are very detailed and explain alot of shit so it makes it sweet
so, me personally, im using oriental motors 5phase drivers, so i find one on ebay, corss check the part number on the oriential motors website to make sure it will work , and then hook up the step/dir/enb and finished. the one vexta i have has like 50 fucking micro step options, more than ill ever need, alarm outputs, an i/o that will switch microstepping value, and they look super clean
>>
>>1230579
Serial is by far the easiest protocol to implement.
My favorite dev board is xilinx vc707.
I am an FPGA guy......
>>
>>1230221
In what fucking industry? I have literally never heard of any professional ever doing this with an Arduino.
>>
what will help me make Megaman?
>>
>>1230923
>I have literally never heard of any professional ever doing this with an Arduino.

I believe you, because I'm out of the business now, but is it true that there is no use at all for AVRs? stuff is either discrete components or ARM, with no applications that are best suited to AVR or PIC?

interesting.
>>
>>1230798
>Async serial
It's not out-of-band packetized. Clock skew sucks. It's slow. I'll take SPI any day.
>My favorite dev board is xilinx vc707.
Okay you're cool.

>>1230929
I think anon meant arduino boards, not AVR8 in general. Real pros have an AVR programmer or SPI master on the bench and don't need no stinking bootloaders.
>>
>>1230798
>fpgas and thei proprietary software
jesus fuck you like pain
>>
Speaking of FPGAs, my favourite board is probably the PYNQ right now, the ARM is great to have alongside the fabric. Setting it up so I didn't have to use their python system was a pain though.
>>
>>1230979
Power engineering fag here. This thread kept fucking me up because every time someone says AVR I think of one of these pieces if shit.
>>
>>1231369
There's a mess of pottage alright.
>>
>>1231533
Would you believe they run fucking 750V side by side with com wires on the same molex plug? Industrial controls are fucking crazy.
>>
>>1231552
>Would you believe they run fucking 750V side by side with com wires on the same molex plug? Industrial controls are fucking crazy.

"The dielectric strength of air is approximately 3 kV/mm. Its exact value varies with the shape and size of the electrodes and increases with the pressure of the air."
>>
>>1230923
not every industry is dominated by electrical or electronic design engineers.

Are you living in a fucking circle jerk bubble?

Sometimes people need to see if an idea works.
They mock it up, if it works they get someone to design the part and write the software.

Seen arduinos used for switching in optical filters and polarisers on a test bench.

Prototype filter pressure diffirential monitoring for ahu's

Chemical tank pump over circuits.
>>
>>1231823
>Are you living in a fucking circle jerk bubble?

Hating on arduinos is almost a religious thing for some guys. It could be that they are not that secure and fear that if girls and nerds can program microcontrollers it somehow threatens them.

As for me, I love working with AVRs when they are suited to the task, but I'll never stop cringing when someone refers to their arduino code as a "sketch" that they keep in a "sketchbook". Who the fuck came up with that shit.
>>
>>1228284
>comparing the arduino to the pi
you're comparing apples and oranges motherfucker

pic related: the arduino and pi being best buds
>>
>>1231829
It has nothing to do with ego security and everything to do with that Arduino has no redeeming qualities for anyone working outside its ecosystem. Arduino hardware is nothing more than a decades-old low-end micro on a poorly-designed overpriced too-large board, that abstracts away too much to be immediately useful for really low-level jobs, lacks facilities such as IP networking and interactive programming useful for higher-level jobs, and has a large number of mediocre hardware libraries and an obsessively helpful community as its only positive features. Without arriving at slightly more than basic electronics knowledge first, they come to think of their Arduinos as hammers and every problem as a nail, which is annoying for anyone outside their ecosystem.
Also, job security. Embedded design engineering is one of the few places left that hasn't gotten pozzed with language police and militant sjews, and I prefer it stay that way.
>if girls and nerds can program microcontrollers
Except that they're not programming microcontrollers. They're programming the platform. That one comp sci student I knew working on VHDL and perfect hash functions, though, would lick all day long/10.
I too enjoy programming AVRs when they're suited to the task, certainly a lot more than PICs and their one-register load-store architecture, when they are suited to the task, and even when they are not (bit-banging VGA could be fun). Arduino itself requires too much buy-in to their way of thinking to be worth it for me.
>>
File: 1503327260479.jpg (113KB, 682x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1503327260479.jpg
113KB, 682x1024px
>>1231993
>, though, would lick all day long/10.

what?

post hidden. jeez this place is full of creeps
>>
>>1232003
Blue boards may be work safe, but they are not ever polite company.
>>
>>1231993
>Arduino itself requires too much buy-in to their way of thinking to be worth it for me.
Arduino the hardware is a PIC with a bootloader with a few components around it so that it Just Works.

Arduino the IDE is a POS written in Java and to be ignored, like all Java POS.
>>
>>1231993
>PICs and their one-register load-store architecture,
sorry to break it to you anon, if you need more than one register to play with you are a brainlet.
>>
File: IMG_4468.jpg (323KB, 640x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4468.jpg
323KB, 640x1920px
>>1228530
>>
>>1232080
missed a trick there anon, should have been
>putting a clock in a pencil case
>>
>>1232070
>a PIC
I know Microchip bought Atmel, but can you please not insult the AVR?
There's also Arduino the library ecosystem, which variously does or does not suck but never rocks, and the Arduino community, which seems single-mindedly concerned with blinky lights and motors.

>>1232078
>uses a CPU that needs four cycles to complete a single instruction
>calls others brainlets
u wot m8
>>
>>1232086
Brainlet humans can't use brainlet processors.
Or something. <your insult here>
>>
As a hobbiest I use arduinos for lots of small projects. There's one running in my basement hooked up to a flow meter and some valves to back flush my water sediment filters, I have one in the garden with a rain gauge hooked up to my sprinklers. I'm not an electrical engineer and I don't give a shit about optimization. And the extra $2 I spend is nothing when I have 4 of them lying around that I could start another small project with tommorow if I wanted to and not wait weeks for parts.

I'm the target market for these things, the guys complaining just seem to hate the user base and what they rave about with the limited knowledge they have, most of them being hobbiests as well. The product is what is.
>>
I'm a science guy who couldn't give two fucks about how shitty Arduino is to an EE, if it allows me prototype my gear lego-style with dupont cables and a breadboard without having to know the intricacies of having to set up a microcontroller, I'll use that shit all day long.

Also the Arduino Zero is good hardware, prove me wrong
>>
>>1232121
>$2
Buying clones, then?

>>1232127
>allows me prototype my gear lego-style with dupont cables and a breadboard without having to know the intricacies of having to set up a microcontroller
Exactly why I love the Orange Pi Zero. You also get Linux so you can use Python or Lua or Forth or JavaScript or shell scripting or literally whatever. Also Ethernet and IPv4/v6. Also USB OTG and host. Also multitasking. Also $25 cheaper once you factor in a modest microSD card.
>the Arduino Zero is good hardware, prove me wrong
The CPU isn't bad, but it doesn't even speak IPv4. Async serial in the 21st century? Why do people hate themselves?
>>
>>1232133
>Buying clones, then?
yeah mostly, I think I have a couple genuine ones here someplace
>>
File: -154672629-1254195018.jpg (212KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
-154672629-1254195018.jpg
212KB, 960x960px
>Cheaper than arduino nano clone
>32 bit
>More RAM and flash
>Way better ADC
>Native USB
>In-circuit debugger for 2$
>Supported by arduino ide
How can arduino even compete?
>>
>>1232133
>Orange Pi Zero

Yeah cool until I need to use an analog sensor, then I'm dicking around with external ADCs.
>>
File: 1503432930828.jpg (101KB, 663x761px) Image search: [Google]
1503432930828.jpg
101KB, 663x761px
>>
File: 1503433172557.jpg (210KB, 1338x908px) Image search: [Google]
1503433172557.jpg
210KB, 1338x908px
>>
File: 1503433146261.jpg (269KB, 1107x850px) Image search: [Google]
1503433146261.jpg
269KB, 1107x850px
>>
>>1232169

can anyone identify this?
>>
File: -8648987421190353815.jpg (203KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
-8648987421190353815.jpg
203KB, 960x960px
>>1232284
STM32F103C8T6 cheap board from ebay or aliexpress. You also need st-link programming dongle.
>>
>>1232285

Thanks. We've reached that magical point in electronics where the cost quite often is a non-factor, and things like community support and my experience are the real deciding points.

I've spent years becoming familiar with lots of AVR detail, but maybe it's time to see what these wonderful things can do.

http://www.wifi4things.com/stm32f103c8t6-blue-pill-board-with-arduino-ide-on-linux/
>>
>>1232263
I concede that. Then there's
>>1232264
a bretty gud little board for when you need some networking and a fair lot of RAM. And one analog input.
>>
>>1232293
I'll have to check it out, thanks
>>
>>1232293
Esp32 ftw
>>
im running a beagle bone black with machinekit linuxcnc, aswell as fancy vexta stepper drivers, which have opto-isolated i/o on the driver end. can i hook these inputs directly up to my beaglebone ?
>>
File: arduino-mega-pinout-diagram.png (175KB, 1329x946px) Image search: [Google]
arduino-mega-pinout-diagram.png
175KB, 1329x946px
Let me aske here, i want mega2560 for my printer, but have no idea if i have to compile source if i want to use small stepper motors smaller tham nema17. Propably yes, so is Atmel Studio 6.1 enough to do or its better and easyer to use arduino program? I would prefer that AS 6.1. I got programmer for SPI and PDI. It can run atmegas.
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.