[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I know there is already a homebrew thread, but not one for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: download (1).jpg (149KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
149KB, 1000x1000px
I guess some of my basic questions are the following:

Whats the best kit to start with?
What are some good learning resources?
What are were your experiences during the learning process?

Any other tips or advice is greatly appreciated!
>>
>>1228253

I have a lot of information I can share. I'll start a new thread to post it.
>>
>>1228259
Keep it in here, the thread is literally an empty canvas for you
>>
>>1228259
>>1228262
Where ever, I just need help lol
>>
File: IMAG0746.jpg (531KB, 1020x2156px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0746.jpg
531KB, 1020x2156px
>>1228253
I'm typing this at work so trying to get a lot written out in case I don't come back to this thread until tomorrow. Just ask if you have any specif questions about the process.

Got this kit from Northern Brewer for my birthday last year. You can start off with the bucket kit for under $100. I had a gift card to NB so I shopped there for supplies until the balance was $0 and now I just look at recipes with good reviews and get the stuff from my local shop.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/deluxe-brewing-starter-kit

Glass carboys can be a bitch to clean because of the small opening. If you go the carboy route I would recommend getting a carboy carrier so you don't drop your full carboy and get glass shrapnel in your legs

I learned everything from watching homebrew videos on youtube. I watched the Northern Brewer instructional videos like 15 times before I even brewed once on my kit. It was a lot easier because I felt like I knew what I was doing. It can be a bit confusing with only having read the paper instructions. Once you've brewed once or twice it will be second nature. If you have a local homebrew shop you can try going there for info/tips.
>Instructional video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vIlabJkywE

To make it easier I normally write down the additions/time period during the boil on a separate piece of paper vs trying to search the instructions sheet for next step. It also helps to have the next addition of hops or whatever ready to go so you're not scrambling. Before I got my kit I brewed once with a friend and the addition/time sheet shit confused us. It's easy to understand now but that was our first time brewing and we didn't know what we were doing. If you don't know what I'm talking about let me know and I'll figure a way out of breaking it down for you.
>>
>>1228855
Extras tips
>Yeast - I would recommend using liquid yeast as beer always comes out tasting better. There's lots of varieties that are specific to beer type & region (ex east/west coast IPA or Czech Lager)

>Yeast Starter (liquid yeast) - small batch of wort that you start ~24 hours before. This will increase yeast cell count and get them to acclimate to wort / doesn't shock the yeast when you pitch full batch (not sure if last part is bruscience, but I always do it)

>Stir plate - stirs your yeast/starter. Ironically my PC's power supply exploded when I was researching how to make a DIY stir plate so I converted it to one. I took everything out except the fan and power button and added a potentiometer to control speed as well as super glued magnets to the fan to spin the magnetic bar inside the beaker. If you have, or can make, some sort of box, an old pc fan, and old phone charger etc laying around this is an easy and cheap project.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0wRgdxSpmw

>fermentation chamber - I brew IPAs and the yeast I use likes to be at ~65 degrees. I live in southern California where temps are 70-95 degrees 90% of the year. Fermentation chamber can lower ambient temp by 30 degrees or so. Just google "son of fermentation chiller plans" for the details if you want to make one.

>Homemade PBW - if you have a fermentation that leaves behind a lot of gunk and shit and you don't want to wear your arms out by scrubbing you can make PBW. You can buy this stuff but it's expensive when you consider price per lb. I don't have the exact formula %'s readily available but you can find it on homebrewtalk and other places. It's 7th Generation Powder Dish Washer Soap, Oxiclean Free, and TSP (trisodium phosphate). Just fill your carboy up with hot water and add some of this to it and wait a day or two and it will strip the gunk off. Some people just use regular oxiclean but that supposedly leaves a slippery residue behind and requires a lot of extra rinsing.
>>
>>1228253
www.howtobrew.com
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.