[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/diy/ Eclipse

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

Looks like eclipse glasses are pretty much sold out everywhere, and pinhole cameras are retarded.

Nasa says you need shade 14 or higher welder's lenses to look at the sun.

I have a few shade 8 welder's lenses lying around, so I dug around online to see if two layers of shade 8 lenses would equal one shade 16 lens.

Turns out if you double up lenses, you need to subtract 1 from the summation of the two shades you used. So two layers of shade 8 lenses would be 8 + 8 - 1 = Shade 15. Should be good to look at the sun with, I'll be trying it out tomorrow AM when the sun is up.

Anyway that's where I am at anons? Question though, can these lenses be cut like any normal piece of glass? I'd like to cut up some nice square or round lenses and 3D print some cool frames.

Also post your /diy/ eclipse gear
>>
>making eclipse glasses out of welders lenses

Thats actually a pretty good idea, anon. And to answer your question, I'm fairly certain that welder's lenses are just tinted glass. They should cut like normal glass. Post results.
>>
I don't find it uncomfortable to look at the sun with a shade 10 welding helmet.

I think NASA's recommendation of shade 14 is just them being very far on the safe side of things.
>>
>>1228047
easy.
Take flat mirror
Take piece of cardboard/paper and cut a circle out.
Place cutout over mirror.
Reflect sun on side of building.
(you can use a round mirror)

Congratulations, you just made a pinhole camera.
>>
>>1229000
>pinhole camera

You may as well just watch a fucking youtube video of an eclipse if you're not going to be looking directly at it.

Also regarding the stacking of welders lenses, two layers of shade 8 worked great for solar viewing.
>>
>>1228047
You are safer just wearing the welding hood.
>>
>>1228047
Block the sun out with your phone, watch through the screen.
>>
>>1228047
wow fucking another american standard based on absolutely nothing except arbitrary nonsense?
im surprised its even the right way around and shade 14 isn't more passive than shade 8
>>
>>1229174
And the fucking idiot pops up.
>>
I wouldnt look at the sun if jesus fucking christ was making shadow puppets on the damn thing...dumb fuckers
>>
>>1229357
Can't this burn out your camera
>>
And if it doesn't work you get the benefit of never having to pay income taxes again. Bonus round: Move to a no tax state like Washington.
>>
where are you guys seeing shade 14? i've seen several articles saying NASA recommends a minimum of 12 and 13 is ideal
>>
>>1230386
Set shutter speed as fast as it can go
>>
>>1230463
#14 comes from the certified photographic consultant standards. CPC always errs on the side of safety.

In reality, a 12 is fine, if a bit uncomfortable.
>>
Way back when we just used a piece of glass and blackened it with carbon from a candle flame.
Got my welding glasses and mask, but probably will stick with the reflection method since I want to keep my eyesight.
>>
went to a lot of home improvement, hardware, and welding supply places.

shade 5 lenses for days. Lots of auto darkening helmets too. though auto darkening helmets are useless for looking at the sun, even if they do go to 14.

found some 10 lenses at a welding shop.

one place had a sign on the door saying they had no eclipses glasses, helmets, or lenses.
>>
>>1229440
TIG arcs are brighter and a welder's face is within inches of those.

I'll be stacking welding lenses on one of my spare helmets. Fuck glasses, they leak light.

BTW welding helmets are designed to hold not only their tinted lens, but have room for a clear cover lens in front and usually one in back to protect (sometimes expensive tinted glass) the tinted lens. There's room to stack tinted lenses without the clears for solar viewing.

Take my word for nothing and visit welding forums. Lens tech has been thoroughly tested by every safety agency and the non-chinkshit manufacturers. I studied it while running a welding school toolroom.

Poorfag method, grab an old fixed shad helmet from a pawn shop or thrift store, then get lenses from your local welding supply.

Shade # + Shade # -1 is an ancient formula. Welders sometimes stack tinted lenses though more for best clarity than protection.

I've looked at the sun as have many others with a Shade 10 but you want a darker tint to see details better. The correct tint is important for clarity. Plus or minus a number or two isn't critical and different welders perform better with different color and shade choices.
>>
http://richardsont.people.cofc.edu/safe_solar_folder/index.html
>>
>>1229440
>Amazingly improbable and captivating event happens in the sky

>Look at the ground during it
>>
>>1230546
My local Airgas, Lowes, Home Despot, and Horror Freight all have signs that say that all welding helmets, lenses, brazing goggles and the like are non-refundable after 8/20/17. I look forward to picking up a bunch for cheap on Craigslist this Tuesday.
>>
>>1230546
New autodark lense sensors function by the "flicker" of the arc when welding- so it will darken when you first look at the sun, then lighten a second later.
Older lenses worked by intensity of light, not the flicker and would work for the eclipse, if you can find one- I mean lenses that are probably 15+ years old.
>>1230558
Im curious how many places are sold out of fixed shade lenses.
>>
File: diyeclipse.jpg (211KB, 1510x1263px) Image search: [Google]
diyeclipse.jpg
211KB, 1510x1263px
>diy eclipse
you don't even have to wait for tomorrow
>>
>>1230758
You are a genius and worthy to have my manbabbies. Post boipucci?
>>
>>1230773
I'm flattered but I only do the dirty to fems.
>>
>>1230777
Nice trips. Triple sevens means you are now a bottom. A holesaw will allow servicing while wearing welding helmets.
>>
I layered 4 W5 lenses. Is that good enough?

Also, I'm thinking about mounting this device on my monocular lens--how would that effect safety?

And can anyone explain the W# + W# - 1 formula? What's the reasoning behind that?
>>
>>1229422
Shotgun gauges are measured by how many lead balls the size of the bore it takes to make 1 pound.
Sheet metal gauges are measured by how many stacked together it takes to equal 1 inch in thickness.
Americans are great at making shitty measuring systems.
Oh wait.... Both those systems were created by europoors....
>>
Im going to just use a fixed shade 10 helmet I have laying around and be done with it.
I have a few autodark helmets that go up to 12, but im afraid they arent going to darken.

Even a real shade 8 has to be better than the piece of paper and plastic glasses people were buying at the stores
>>
>>1230546
>>1230762
my Lincoln 3350 will darken and stay dark looking at a light bulb. gonna give it a try tomorrow, worst case i'll have to hold the test button down
>>
>>1228047
Total eclipses happen a lot more frequently than the media wants you to think. Just hold out til 2021, get eclipse goggles way ahead of time and go visit the northeast US at that time.
>>
>>1231062
2024*
>>
>>1230762
I have a brand new Metal Man auto dark. Even fluorescent lights make it darken and stay dark. Sounds like you're full of shit.
>>
I'm just not gonna look at the sun itself. Everyone else will have lots of pictures online. I'm going to be admiring the 360 degree sunset and taking pictures of that from my roof.
>>
>>1231062
>>1231064
This guy knows whats up. I also find the "We havent have an eclipse in ONE HUNDRED YEARS!1!" annoying as hell.
>>
>>1231079
some cheap ones won't stay on. i have some $100 Lincoln that will flicker on and off around lights or outside on a sunny day. none of my expensive helmets are like that. it could maybe be because most cheap ones are solar powered rather then battery

>>1231085
there was one when i was a kid. never got to see it as i was in school and teachers are faggots
>>
>>1231093
Usually that means the batteries are shot.
>>
>>1231096
Yes and they can't be changed in most cheap helmets. Some don't even have a battery but that's mostly the shit brands
>>
>>1230975
Welp, I did it anyway, so let's hope so!
>>
>>1231085
The hundred years shut was for a coast to coast cone of totality. The 2024 one starts in Texas and ends on the shitty side of NY.
>>
useless bump
>>
>>1233509
>useless bump

underrated
>>
File: IMG_1042s.jpg (3MB, 2736x1824px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1042s.jpg
3MB, 2736x1824px
>>1228047
/diy/ pinhole viewer
>>
File: IMG_1070s.jpg (3MB, 2736x1824px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1070s.jpg
3MB, 2736x1824px
>>1233699
Max eclipse in Seattle
>>
>>1233699
>>1233700
this seems like a lot of work to get the same effect as punching two holes in a box
>>
>>1233784
Much better image. And not too much work. This is /diy/ so why the hate about building something just for the fun of it?
>>
>>1233784
This is literally two pipes connected
>>Lot of work
>>
>>1233784
Why would you put in the herculean effort of punching holes in a box, wasting colossal amounts of time and energy in addition to damaging a precious box, when you could simply get a colander?
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.