[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Suggestions for ASO

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_20170814_174027.jpg (3MB, 2366x4176px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170814_174027.jpg
3MB, 2366x4176px
Hey /diy/. I am getting into blacksmithing as a hobby to make knives mainly but also to do projects around my property. I have tried to read as much as I can and am starting out on the cheap. My plan is to only put a few $$ into it at first and then slowly but surely start building up my tools & supplies. I was wondering if I could get some input.

So far I have a 2 lb hammer and an anvil shaped object. I asked a guy at work about cutting a section of I-beam so I could use it as an anvil. I had planned to turn it on its side and then weld a 1 1/2 to 2 inch plate to the top to give it the most support(right?). Well he "did me a favor" and welded some supports on it for me and while I do like it, it's not quite what I had planned. I am grateful tho as I was taught to not look a gift horse in the mouth and have decided to make do. Thoughts on this ASO and ways to improve it?
>>
File: IMG_20170814_174016.jpg (2MB, 2366x4176px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170814_174016.jpg
2MB, 2366x4176px
>>1228026
Front view. He also cut the angle on it.
>>
File: IMG_20170814_174143.jpg (1MB, 2366x4176px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170814_174143.jpg
1MB, 2366x4176px
>>1228029
I figure I do need something like a horn on it so my plan is to weld these two pieces of steel(pardon the blurry pic) together & then grind them down to a rounded shape on top leaving it flat on the bottom. Then welding it to the top to act as a horn for drawing out material. This thing IS heavy. weighs about 100 lbs.
>>
>>1228026
I think I will also be welding a couple of supports towards the back to keep it from flexing & give it a little more mass.
>>
>>1228026
By calling it an anvil shaped object, I can assume you know exactly what you have. Unhardened low carbon steel. This looks like a fantastic beginners 'anvil' and one that really should do pretty well for you as is. Something for a horn would be handy, but if you're doing knife making, I cannot think of too many needs for a horn. If your metal working friend has a cutting torch, or plasma cutter, I would suggest having him cut a hardy hole for you off to one side of the center since it's an I beam. Find yourself some hardie tools, and use the shank size off of them for what size he should cut. The hardie tools you buy should carry over to a proper anvil when you get it, so you're wasting nothing.
>>
>>1228038
Thank you for the advice. I don't think he has a plasma cutter or cutting torch but i will look into adding a hardy hole.

Instead of making a horn like shape should I try hardening those plates & weld them onto the top?
>>
I've been seriously considering getting into blacksmithing as well, but I haven't started on anything yet. I've come to terms with the fact that I'll have to make my own forge, but I'm unsure as to what exactly I'll need to build one.

Do y'all have any suggestions that will fit a low price range? (I was thinking of getting a piece of railroad track and bolting it to a large log to use as a makeshift anvil, since I've heard that they'll work for a while. I'll be saving up for a proper anvil later on)

While I'm at it, what skills should I learn before even getting started?
>>
>>1228043
Nah, I wouldn't Hardening and tempering something of that size and weight is best left to those with a set up for it. Just use it as it, and know that you're going to ding up the surface pretty bad, and you're going to have to dress it up with a grinder now and then. Otherwise just save up for an anvil after you get some experience under your belt.
>>
>>1228053
forges can be built out of a folding chair, a hibatchi grill basin, and a hair dryer. Look up Satan's Toilet, and get crackin, it's alot easier than you think to build a make shift forge.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.