[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Instrument case for sax

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: 1001580.jpg (393KB, 1280x934px) Image search: [Google]
1001580.jpg
393KB, 1280x934px
Hello /diy/
I'm building a case for a vintage saxophone right now. The case per se is not that difficult, but I was wondering if you could help me with the interior design of the case. Usually it's fitted to form. I tried to create a formfitting shell by using plaster on the sax, wrapped in cling film. Suffice to say, it didn't work out.
What's a good material for a mould?
>inb4 fibre glass, I'll have to apply that on a musical instrument :/
Could I use plates of wax?
>>
>>1227799
what is wrong with literal foam
>>
File: __TANK-T-SAX_F4-1200_1200.jpg (358KB, 1200x797px) Image search: [Google]
__TANK-T-SAX_F4-1200_1200.jpg
358KB, 1200x797px
>>1227802
I'd need to cut that in layers. It would then look blocky and amateurish.
>pic related
>>
>>1227799
Back in the day they just used a soft wood that was carved into shape and then covered it with felt or crushed velvet, etc.
>>
>>1227838
You're an inspiration, anon!
>crushed
>wood
I'll try sawdust, mixed with wood glue, that should do the trick! :-)
That should be also less work than carving.
>>
Wrap your saxomophone in a plastic bag
Fill a deep box (cardboard or something disposable, larger than the hard case) with some expanding insulation foam.
You may need to put a standoff into the foam to prevent the instrument from sinking to the bottom
place instrument into the foam (you did seal it in plastic well enough didn't you?
fill the rest of the box up with foam
let it dry for a couple days
Get a foam saw and cut it out of there
Cover foam with contact adhesive, apply velvet or felt.

You could also go the dense foam method, then cover that in fabric. They make "pick n pluck" foams for customizable gun cases. It looks kinda plain, but again, you can cover it with anything you want. You're concerned about protection of the instrument should you drop the case.

Its not hard to do, big foam block and an Xacto blade you can get it carved in an hour for a custom look. Pic is a different instrument case.
>>
File: 1501405393305.gif (981KB, 500x475px) Image search: [Google]
1501405393305.gif
981KB, 500x475px
>>1227860
I've heard that foam expands while curing, it might twist the delicate keywork. But viable for guns and guitars, I guess.

>pick'n'pluck/big foam block
I'll keep it in my mind. Thank you.
>>
>>1227865
It does expand, but it won't twist or harm the keywork. Its also why you're doing it in an oversized box to trim down to better dimensions for the hard case. Seriously, if your dad has a can of it in the garage, or you're find spending $3 on an experiment, just go put a few test pieces in it and try it out.
>>
You could just do a basic plaster casting of your desired shape, which you then use as the cavity for a spray foam job, followed by fluttering down Velvet or whatever.
>>
>>1227869
We've reached Peak Great Stuff meme: someone actually found a way to make a serious suggestion with it.
>>
1. get case
2. spray in expanding foam
3. layer fabric over foam
4. push in sax to make impression
5. repeat for other side
>>
Get some of this stuff.
http://www.lpsind.com/packaging-shipping-systems/protective-wrap-cushioning-material/instapak-quick-packaging-foam/
>>
The blocks of foam that come pre-cut in to 1" squares are handy if you want to save a little time.
>>
>>1228130
Just wrap the sax in plastic wrap so as not to get any foam on it.
>>
>>1228379
>>1228429
>>1228801
>>1228130
This is OP. I really appreciate your suggestions, I'll keep them in mind when I'll finally decide in about two weeks. I'll keep you posted!
>1228089
kek
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.