[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wall mapping

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: bumpy-wall.jpg (196KB, 660x440px) Image search: [Google]
bumpy-wall.jpg
196KB, 660x440px
Hello /diy/,
i recently bought a video-projector and i was wondering ether if i should make a screen with a white sheet or try something like mapping the bumps in the wall (pic related) and distorting the image so it display flat (like those monument projections).
Thanks for your answers and sorry for my english.
>>
I forgot to add that it will be controlled with a WiFi capable RasPi.
>>
>>1227752
Get a screen. The paint used on walls isn't nearly reflective enough to get a top quality image.
>>
Op here, the projector itself is a 70€ chinese 720p shit, so the quality isn't really the deal, it's more about the feasibility
>>
>>1227763
Getting an old projector screen from Goodwill or something will be a lot cheaper and faster than just about anything else you try.
>>
>>1227757
Is it possible to DIY a screen that approaches the quality of a bought one? Like, if you plastered the wall perfectly flat then used the right paints?
>>
>>1227752
how do I get my wall texture to have this iStock logo every sq foot?
>>
>Is it possible to DIY a screen that approaches the quality of a bought one?

several people have attempted this and posted results and how-to's. google knows all about it, so ask her.

personally i'd go with those roll-up screens you find used from the 8mm days for under $10.
>>
File: projmap1.jpg (305KB, 1200x792px) Image search: [Google]
projmap1.jpg
305KB, 1200x792px
OP here, I can't possibly modify the wall as i'm only renting, so this option is out of the scope.
I think i will go with a wall mounted screen however, i can deal with two holes.
But I would like if any of you know of anything used to "map" the bumps in the wall to cancel them before projecting, like the must do in pic-related.
>>
>>1227877
Something tells me that's to do with the way they animated it rather than projected it. You're talking about re rendering a movie to fit your wall? I dunno. Sounds iffy.
>>
>>1227887
Yeah that's what i was thinking, somehow mapping the wall, and applying a filter to cancel out the bumps.
>>
>>1227890
I mean it's doable but I've mapped walls of rock with lidar at a fairly high resolution, and there's fuckin weeks of sanitising the point cloud data after a scan.

Don't forget you'd need to it in 3d so either stereo cameras or multiple lidar points

But sure go for it, it might work and you'll definitely learn something along the way. There's some decent point cloud software out there and you can get petrel on thepiratebay, which handles it like a champ
>>
literally all you need is a matte white sheet
don't overcomplicate this senpai
>>
>>1227845
Not for rear projection, but for front projection, you just need a flat white surface. Worst case you lose a few lumens worth of projection, shouldn't be a problem.
>>
>>1227903
You don't need to map the wall with lidar.

Just get a camera, place it where you are going to watch, project a image to wall, tweak the filter until what camera sees and what you project are the same.

But this whole setup is brain dead as the image will be good only in that one spot where the camera is.
>>
OP here, I finally went for a 15$ white screen, but I might try to map tje wall just for the sake of it. Thanjs for your helos and suggestions,
/thread
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.