[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rewiring house circuit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

File: 1501620385207.jpg (110KB, 640x701px) Image search: [Google]
1501620385207.jpg
110KB, 640x701px
Hey /diy/,

I'm trying to run a couple servers in my bedroom, but I keep tripping the breaker in my house. It's listed as 15A, and the label says that it supplies power to my bedroom and the bathroom.

How can I run my servers? Will I need to somehow increase the power limit to my bedroom? Should I run an extension cable out to the living room to use that circuit?

Pic unrelated.
>>
Extension cord or undervolt something
>>
>>1227671
Use a more efficient power supply on your servers.
Plug them into an outlet that has less load.
Plug them into a 220 outlet, if they can handle that voltage.
See if you have wires and outlets in the wall that can handle 20 amps and upgrade the breaker.
If they can't handle 20 amps, replace them.

Also, you said servers, plural. Can you plug one into your room and the other/others into outlets on different circuits?
>>
>>1227673
>More efficient PSU
I don't think I can. They don't make alternate PSUs for rack servers do they?

>Outlet with less load
I can always run an extension cable out in the living room. I just feel like there should be a better way to handle it.

>220 outlet
None of those around

>Wires and outlets that can handle 20A
How would I check that? I don't really have any experience with this kind of stuff. Will it be written on the wire? I assume I should first turn off the breaker to the room before fooling around in the wall.

>Servers, plural
Even one of them occasionally trips the breaker. I also have a fatass desktop and monitor running on the same circuit. Desktop has a 750W PSU, but I don't think it actually uses that much.
>>
>>1227675
Your power supply has no particular reason to live inside the original server case. Extension cables are a thing.

Are these old, high power draw servers? If so you are bleeding money. It's absurd to run high wattage continuous draw computers in the modern era.

You can also consolidate servers into a single server running virtual machines.
>>
>>1227675
>>Wires and outlets that can handle 20A
>How would I check that?

He's listing all the alternatives. This one almost surely will require you or an electrician to pull new wires all the way from your room to the main box, which is a big deal for an electrician and probably beyond your ability.

Just curious. What exactly are you serving and what kind of internet deal do you have?
>>
>>1227671
slap a new breaker in the box and run a dedicated power line that supplies only your computer and network devices.

well, you may need an electrician to do it, depending on where you live.
>>
>>1227684
Usually cheaper to rent a remote server box in a data centre than to deal with this shit at your house, especially if you're hosting something.
>>
>>1227684
Not that old. Probably 2010-2012. They are running continuously though. Not too high for power consumption, PSU is 460w and each one has 2 8-core Xeons w/ 64G RAM.

>>1227685
That's what I figured. I'd probably have to pay out the ass too.

I'm just serving some VMs and stuff to work with at home. I've got 25 Mbps down, but I don't do a whole lot that requires high speed.

>>1227688
I live in a suburban area and I don't know shit about electric work. That would be great if I could do that though without it being too expensive.
>>
>>1227690
I don't rent servers because I have physical servers. Also, easier to work with and secure physical servers IMO.
>>
>>1227688
>depending on where you live.
>>1227691
>I live in a suburban area

Where you live, like country or subpart of said country if the regulations differ from area to area in said country.
>>
>>1227696
Gotcha. I'll have to do some research on the regulations surrounding house electric work.
>>
>>1227693
Easier to secure, yeah, but only if you don't trust the data centre you're renting from. I'm sure the data centre is more secure from external threats than my house.

Easier to work with... Maybe. Certainly if you're changing hardware. But you won't have to worry about things like power failures (like your breaker problem) or internet outages as much as you would at your house. Bandwidth is probably cheaper and better than you get at your house anyway.

I'm talking about renting a dedicated server by the way, not a VPS.
>>
>>1227712
I mean, the problem isn't necessarily that I can't trust the data center. It's more of the connection between me and that data center. I can also isolate my physical servers from the internet no problem.

>Internet/power outages
I'm planning on getting a UPS, so this might not be too much of a problem if the UPS powers the modem too.
>>
>>1227716
I take your point. SSH is pretty secure but you can never get 100%. Heck you probably have SSH set up on your servers just so you can manage them while you're away from home.

You can't really disconnect from the internet short of shutting down via the control panel interface. You can close all ports except 22 while you work on it though.
>>
>>1227730
Nope. I'm at home often enough for me to just keep SSH on an air-gapped network. I don't need to be managing my servers from elsewhere. If I need updates, I'll vendor the signed packages to a flash drive and install from there. I do some security testing and I'm kinda paranoid about something breaking out or in.
>>
You can pull between 1440 and 1800 watts on a 15A breaker depending on how long the current is drawn. A typical home computer will use at most 300-400w normally at load, although it's possible to outfit one with multiple graphics cards etc that hits higher numbers. So unless you have like 5 servers all running at full load 24/7 then I'm thinking you have other stuff on the circuit that's also adding to the load. Keep in mind a circuit may have outlets in multiple rooms, so it may not be obvious which other things are on that circuit.

Assuming you don't have more than like 3 computers, I'd either investigate where the other power drain(s) is/are, or split the computers so that some of them are somewhere else in the house (meaning, on a different circuit).
>>
>>1227804
A couple bitcoin mining rigs with six or seven GPUs each could draw 2000W easy, but it doesn't sound like that's what he's doing.

Unless he's doing some hardcore rendering it would be odd to see a server draw more than 600W, even with dual Xenon.
>>
>>1227833
>>1227804

They're not running full power all the time. They're just casually running some VMs that don't take up all computing resources.

The bedroom and bathroom are on the same 15A circuit. There isn't anything on in the bathroom. I have my desktop, monitor, home router, modem and lights running in my bedroom. I can't think of why even just one server is causing the breaker to trip when its only a 460W PSU. My desktop only has a single NVIDIA GTX 960, which I imagine doesn't eat too much. The PSU is rated for 750W.
>>
>>1227835
Also, max power draw on my monitor is spec'd at 75W
>>
>>1227835
Sure you don't have heat lamps in the bathroom?
>>
>>1227846
I live in FL. There's no reason for that.
>>
>>1227671

Does the breaker say arc fault circuit interrupter (afci)?
>>
>>1227835

Just FYI, you might already know this but the rating on your PSU is just what maximum power it can deliver, and even then probably not for an extended period. Most computers don't get close to drawing the amount that their PSU is rated for.
>>
>>1227671
They're servers so just run a network line to some other area of the house powered by a different circuit and put the server there?

Easier to hide than an extension cord through the house.
>>
>>1227741
>> breaking out
>>
>>1228323
Meaning he tests suspected/known malware which has the potential to phone home.

If you have malware on your computer it often tries to break out in order to give your personal information to the hackers who created it, or to give them a back-door into your computer.
>>
>>1227935
Nope.

>>1228014
Yeah I'm just using it as a max. power usage.

>>1228115
There are other tenants and I want this centralized for physical security.

Also, I don't think its the servers. Something else is spiking on the breaker. As I was typing this response, it tripped again. Also, the smoke detectors are also a part of the circuit, but those run through 9V batteries in like 6 months. I can't think of anything else that would be tripping it other than the desktop. If it matters, the home router, 12 port switch, modem, and a tiny 16" monitor are on a relatively new 6-port power strip
>>
>>1228445
Clamp the circuit and ull know for sure.
>>
>>1228483
I have a handheld multimeter, but I don't think that can handle house lines, as that's a wacky amount of voltage and amps.
>>
>>1228537
>>
what the fuck are you doing that requires servers that powerful?
>>
>>1228555
I'm guessing either learning, or just having fun
>>
>>1228557
be much more efficient to invest in something like the PI for regular server usage, or just get a tower with a lot of ram/cpu for VM fuckery.
>>
>>1227671
>It's listed as 15A, and the label says that it supplies power to my bedroom and the bathroom.
2 things :

a- Breakers wear out. A breaker that's tripped often will wear out sooner. You might want look into replacing it.

ii- Just because it's labeled "bedroom and bathroom" doesn't mean it's ONLY for those rooms. Turn the breaker off and locate all fixture/plugs that have stopped working. Depending on the age of your house and/or quality of your installation, you could end up really surprised.
>>
>>1228558
A Pi sucks for learning how to server management.
>>
File: killawatt-watt-meter-photo347.jpg (29KB, 375x500px) Image search: [Google]
killawatt-watt-meter-photo347.jpg
29KB, 375x500px
>>1228553
Pic related much better for the average person. It's called a "Kill A Watt." Some libraries even lend them out.
>>
>>1228563
Not the same. Clamp at the breaker. Then you know if you're overloading or not.

The killawatt is good for anything past the plug.
>>
>>1228570
Kill a watt will tell you straight up how much power your two servers are drawing from the wall, that's probably all he needs to know.
>>
>>1228576

But hides everything else on the circuit. Clamp tell the truth.

Up to OP but to me killawatt is a fools game. Also I can buy a clamp at the store.
>>
>>1228663
>Up to OP but to me killawatt is a fools game. Also I can buy a clamp at the store.

The killa watt thing looks nice, but who needs constant monitoring of power draw? Also, buy a short extension cord and split it so you can use the clamp to see the draw from any outlet or to any individual device.

If I had something that varied a lot I might want a kill a watt permanently on that outlet, but otherwise it seems rather unnecessary.
>>
>>1228668
It's great if you had alot of them to figure out load flows for the purpose of being ultra miser and want to log everything.

But if you have a high resistance short

Or some fool mixed aluminum and copper

Or something else is happening upstream that is robbing amps

Then the killawatt is a false sense of security for the purpose of troubleshooting.
>>
>>1228559
alternately
>labeled bathroom
>powers water heater
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.