[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hydrophobic tape for microphone ports

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: sony_fdr_x3000action_camera.jpg (32KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
sony_fdr_x3000action_camera.jpg
32KB, 500x500px
Have posted on /g/ but might be more of a /diy/ question

Just got a sony 4k action cam, used for the first time this weekend.

Didn't realise how badly the underwater case blocks the mic. Anyone have any suggestions/solutions? I'm not sure how much I trust using it without the underwater casing on whilst sailing.

Drill holes in front of case and apply a hydrophobic tape? (having a lot of issues finding any without it being a huge MOQ)
I could go down the goretex route, but think the material I end up with wouldn't be designed to be acoustically transparent.

Sample footage from weekend here >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoC4475JGTc [Embed]

Only audio really recorded is that from vibrations transmitted through the hull.

I doubt I'm ever going to want to take it to 60 meters of depth so not so fussed that taping it will be compromised at pressure.

Thanks in advance
>>
File: dictaphone.jpg (10KB, 436x436px) Image search: [Google]
dictaphone.jpg
10KB, 436x436px
instead of fucking up your expensive camera, use a disposably cheap digital voice recorder and sync the audio and video tracks back together at home.
>>
>>1227676
Would agree with you, unsure if it would be as seamless as the current set up though.

Turn on watch, watch powers up camera, and streams what its recording to screen on your wrist.

Would have to get something else to prompt the recorder to start.

Quite a good setup for the given situation where a lot of the time its difficult to get camera to begin recording without abandoning position on foredeck

alternative would be to always record audio I guess
>>
>>1227677
Is the underwater case compatible with any kind of wireless audio module on the camera?
>>
>>1227679
Haven't looked in to that yet, will do some research.
>>
>>1227700
No one wants to hear you talk, just crank on some Awolnation Sail like everyone else
>>
>>1227907
its actually wind noise / breaking waves / winches that I was hoping to capture, along with the occasional call from the helm.

>>1227679
I've done a bit of digging, appears that only wired mics to the input on the back are compatible.

Which leaves two options in my mind.
Easiest /least invasive - drill and go for the hydrophobic tape route. Then get a second case for underwater if needed.

Most invasive - remove door at back of camera covering the 3.5mm mic jack and drill / attempt to water proof a jack thru the case. This would leave the camera without a rear port cover when being used outside of the case.

Which brings me back to trying to find a source for the correct material in low quantities. Im quite sure the Samsung S7 had Gore-Tex speaker/mic covers, so it is a tried and tested solution.
>>
>>1228123
If you drill the case and put a jack in permanently, you can seal around the plug by spraying it with conformal coating.
>>
>>1228123
just saying, all aftermarket "wireless" mic kits are wired from the perspective of the camera if you can find one where the receiver fits inside the case.
>>
>>1228218
Did think about this, but unless there is one small enough to fit pretty much inside a 3.5mm jack port (yeah i mean inside the 3.5mm connection) its going to be a no go

Bloody fit tight inside the case / perfectly molded to shape of camera
>>
>>1228226
Honestly, I probably would sync to an outside recording then. Just fire a starter pistol directly in front of the camera or something to mark your sync point.
>>
>>1228229
Or just tap the microphone against the camera housing as a sync point.
>>
>>1228123
Oh cool. I got some pretty cool sounds of that from my olympus waterproof camera and also my Galaxy s5 but honestly it doesn't sound good. Very tinny.

Anyways good luck with it, there's often threads around here and on /out/ by people doing outdoor recordings just for the sound
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.