[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rainforest Vivarium

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: led-strips-support.jpg (96KB, 1024x360px) Image search: [Google]
led-strips-support.jpg
96KB, 1024x360px
Hi /diy/ I am trying to make my own Led lighting for a planted 24 x 18 x 24 exo terra and I am getting pissed trying to figure out what strips to buy. I already have a UVB light for my day geckos so I am not concerned about that but I want to be able to make a shit load of bars for this tank as well as other tanks I have.

anyone experience with diy led lights? or good links as to where to buy them?

Since I posted the lighting question in /an/ already I will go into more details as to what I am planning on doing with this vivarium / terrarium. This next week I am going to go to a hydroponic store and get a pump and other stuff so I can make a misting system for humidty as well as a rain system for watering / cleaning the tank. The mist system is going to be two or four fogger heads connected to 1/4" irrigation tubing then for the rain system I was planning on using 1/4" microline with built in pressure compensated emitters. Both lines will lead to the pump which will be submersed into a 10 gallon tank or reservoir.

Any tips or comments on this setup?
>>
So far I found a good deal on Amazon for some 6000k rated white LEDs (16.4 ft spool) and now I just need to figure out what would be the best way to apply and connect the strips together. Ideally I would like to have six 16" strips, maybe two seperate hoods with three strips each but how should those wire into eachother? soldering or clips?
>>
>>1227270
>>1227305
Why don't use you use pink grow lights and add a white light so people can see what's in there when you want?
>>
>>1227309

pink grow lights? I've heard of people using purple LEDs just for growing maybe that is the same thing. Do you have any leads where to get them?
>>
>>1227318
Just google LED grow lights
>>
OP here again, so while doing the lighting I am also working on the mist system and something I am noticing is that it is impossible to find a high pressure pump for less than the Mist King system. It sucks because I already have a good part of the system together but just need a pump strong enough to blow it through the heads like a mist.

I feel like I lost out in regards to beating the manufacturers on this one. with a $20 pump I can stilll make a good rain system but I cant seem to get a fine mist from the heads I am using.

pic related the nozzle I an using for the mist system. It does spray water but only a straight stream
>>
>>1229039
No, you want one of these or similar:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultrasonic-mist-maker-fogger-3-head-humidifier-transformer-900ml-h-M/262981229726
>>
>>1229158

Are you saying use the system or just use the pump for my current system? I've found some cheap high pressure 100psi pumps on Amazon but they are all Chinese like the one you linked.

I'm a little hesitant to be honest but should I be worried about using or dealing with a straight out of China pump or system like that?
>>
So I think I will just man up and buy the lights and pump I mentioned then I'll post pics of them on here in case any of you are interested in how it all works out in the end.
>>
>>1229501
Ultrasonic foggers aren't misters, I don't know why he posted it. They will raise the humidity in the room.

They cavitate the water and turn it to vapor that has to settle out of the ambient air then.

I dunno, it might work, but yoyd have to run it longer.
>>
>>1227270
Aliexpress is as good a place as any.
The LED strip pads can be soldered just like any other copper foil, with less heat than a typical pc board because of less mass to heat up. For 5m, it doesn't much matter whether you wire them end-to-end or all at one end. I wasn't sure if I saw them correctly, but there might be some edge-type connectors you could use without soldering.
Strips are generally adhesive-backed, but it can be hard to apply pressure to the adhesive without straining the components. The resistors can take a little more abuse than the LEDs, so just press down hard with your fingers between the LEDs as you lay the strip down and remove the backing.
>>
so in case any of you are interested I ordered these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MHLIFO8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=AAF37WJS3P6BT&psc=1

They are not pink grow lights but that is okay because I will be housing geckos and such in the vivarium so natural light is necessary also from a couple sources and demos i've seen at hydroponic stores plants seem to benefit from a more natural light as opposed to "optimal" blue and red only lights.

since they and the connectors wont be here for a few days that will give me time to figure out how I will make a hood for the strands. some people seem to use rain gutters but i want something that is shallow and wide as opposed to deep. ill post pics when I find a solution.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.