[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Repainting old IKEA furniture. What should I do/get?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: 20170813_204421.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170813_204421.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
I'm really poor, I live in a small room and I had this huge impractical IKEA wardrobe. I cut it up and made it into wall mounted shelves, now I want to paint it bright red. What kind of deglosser, primer, paint and finish should I use. It is plywood with some weird sticker on it. Absolute biginner here so please use small words. Cheers
>>
it's called sandpaper, nigger. if you can find an electric sander, so much the better, otherwise wrap some dollar-store sandpaper around a piece of 2x4 and scrub away.

an easy alternative is adhesive shelving paper, available cheap in all kinds of colors and patterns. i found this marble one that made anything look very much like expensive italian marble.
>>
>It is plywood with some weird sticker on it.

it's even cheaper than plywood. it's press-wood or particle board.
>>
>>1227194
OP is bait, he only wants us to see the beautiful plank in the back. but i forgive OP, she is very pretty, blessedimage/10
>>
I wish I was joking, this is my life.

I thought I phrased it simple enough but here it is again:

1) I want to take the sticker off (that's why I wrote I would use deglosser which is liquid sandpaper, maybe?)

2) I'd like to know if I have to use primer on such cheap wood (if yes, what kind?)

3) I'd like to paint it bright red (what kid of paint should use?)

4) I'd like a glossy finish that I can wipe down with a wet cloth if it gets dirty (what should I use?)

Cheers
>>
>>1227194

post more of that sexy plank
>>
>>1227235
The material, which does not deserve the name "wood", is not worth any time, effort or materials you could put into it at this point.

Bin it, spend money you would need to waste on this to buy some wood, saw it into bits, paint it red. Easier, quicker, lasts longer.
>>
>>1227235
1, Peel it of with a knife and sand it down. (Buying plywood is really cheap and will become way prettier)

2, if you are still refurbishing this plank, you should go with a lacquer primer, sand it and paint it again.

3, use a bright red lacquer; paint, sand, paint.

4, point 3 will suffice.
>>
>>1227235
It's a laminate, not a sticker.

Heat will take it off. But I suggest you keep it on if you want a gloss finish because the particle board underneath is not smooth.

Oil paint has the best gloss (and costs less) but water based makes for easier clean up.
>>
>>1227235
>>1227242

I have to add that getting a bright red plank at IKEA is cheaper then the paint will be.
>>
>>1227240
I do not have access to extra money, I do have access to discount deglosser, paint, primer etc.
>>
>>1227246
thanks for the advice I will try and make this happen. as I have explained before I have access to discount paint, primer etc. and I have already built the shelves and I'm pretty happy with them so I'd rather not take it apart.
>>
>>1227253
Then good luck.

Pine is essentially free where I am, so I guess my outlook of "never chipboard" is a bit harsh.
>>
File: IMG_3112.jpg (73KB, 750x738px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3112.jpg
73KB, 750x738px
>>
>>1227266
i mean look at that. put her up on ebay or etsy, 50$ easy. and she does deserve a better home...
>>
>>1227271

send her to the woodbutcher

>>1219371
>>
>>1227266
Goddamn, she's asking for my auger, if you know what I mean.
I mean my dick.
>>
>>1227253
buy those at discount and sell them for normal price on the internet then buy wood
>>
>>1227313
He knows.
>>
File: bh32t.jpg (8KB, 209x200px) Image search: [Google]
bh32t.jpg
8KB, 209x200px
>liquid sandpaper
that's a good one

in some unlikely event some part of this is true, it is crap son

you can try to spray paint particle board, but it won't make up for its bad appearance and poor qualities
>>
>>1227385
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klean-Strip-1-qt-Easy-Liquid-Sander-QWN285/100112667
>>
>>1227194
Spray paint. That is all.
>>
>>1227518
I'll see, thanks for the advice.
>>
>>1227519
Post shelve
>>
>>1227223
10/laugh good job
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.