[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Refinishing Cabinets

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.jpg (45KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.jpg
45KB, 1024x576px
Just bought a house built in the mid 90s. The kitchen and all cabinets have a very yellow finish poly on the wood and trim. I can't tell what type of wood they are.

Am I better off just painting them or doing a strip and stain?
>>
File: cabinets.jpg (293KB, 1606x1173px) Image search: [Google]
cabinets.jpg
293KB, 1606x1173px
Here is a close up of the cabinets.
>>
>>1227120

I'd get used to them. They look pretty good, and you're going to have a shitload of work with either plan, and they might not look any better.
>>
Those look fine as is. What is the look you're trying to create?

Painting cabinets is a is a Time sink not only initially but upkeep through the years. It will just look like Perpetual shit
>>
>>1227123
>I'd get used to them. They look pretty good, and you're going to have a shitload of work with either plan, and they might not look any better.
Do not listen to yuropoors likes this

They'll look better stained, but you also need to replace almost everything else in that awful kitchen.
>>
>>1227120

In case you want to do this, open a cabinet door or two and take a picture so we can discuss where exactly the stripping and staining will stop and how you are going to control it.

Painting is easier to manage, but you will need a coat of oil primer then one or two coats of paint. If you use latex paint the doors will stick forever. If you use alkyd paint it will not stick but you will have fun with the fumes. Also, in the picture show all the hinge and other hardware so we can discuss how awful it will look with paint slopped up on it. Taking every door off sucks but that's one way to do it clean.

>>1227127
>They'll look better stained,

that remains to be seen.
>>
I used, Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations kit, on my bathroom vanities, which were that honey oak that was popular in the early 90s. It was fairly easy, looks like I bought them with the new color and have held up for over a year now.
>>
>>1227118
I'd figure on what all you want to do.
Like replacing that masonite counter top.
Had one of those in the old house and it was the first thing that got ripped out. Tho, that one was some sort of fugly floral print with aluminum trim. Right out of the 60's.
>>
Paint is more popular that stained right now.
I'd paint and put on some new hardware.
Maybe add a backsplash.

The countertops will still be ugly as fuck though.
>>
>>1227118
We had similar cabinets in our place when we bought it.

The bf wanted to install new cabinets but I wasn't having any of that. So I got him set up to strip and sand.

He used that vinegar and steel wool oxidizing technique on them and I did the clear coat. Looks great.
>>
>>1227118

If you don't feel like sanding and staining, paint them white and call it a day. That's the quick route, but don't expect it to last long before it starts chipping if you use your kitchen a lot.

If you want to do things right, you're going to have to sand and stain.
>>
>>1227120

those cabinets look like they were redone with that stuff you stick on for a new finish, paper laminate, its like wallpaper, you spread glue put the paper on and squeegee out the bubbles. I bet if you open the doors the "paper" wraps around the edges of the door to the inside and is glued down... if so, you cant fix that shit. rip em out start over
>>
>>1227118
Dont forget the option of doing just the doors/drawer fronts because those are easy.
If you paint then make sure you sand first so there's good adhesion, a smooth finish and the dried paint will wipe off with a paper towel.

Are you sure the doors/drawers are wood? I can't tell from the picture, but if that tile is actually vinyl sheeting you have a rental shit kitchen and everything is particleboard and veneer/melamine, instead of just the countertop. in that case, you can't strip and stain it and it's not really worth painting, just tear out and do over. If it's wood, IMO wait 5 years and lighter wood will be in style again, I would replace the countertop though. And probably that sink/faucet, it looks like 90's low bidder shit.
>>
>>1227118
Bought a house and mine were like this. I'm lazy so I just painted over with black semi gloss paint and added stainless steel handles. Looks great
>>
>>1227118
learn to live with them until you've got the time and shekels to replace the entire kitchen

t. just bought a house build in 1980
>>
>>1227422
>wait 5 years and lighter wood will be in style again
Kek pretty much
>>
You stain or nothing guys are autistic as shit..

It's a fucking kitchen. It will look old as Jesus' sandals in 8 years.
Why waste time staining piece of shit cabinets with disgusting counters.

Just a quick hand sand, paint, and hardware. Dont even bother taking the doors off.
It won't take long and will look a million times better.
>>
>>1227118
Just paint. If they were solid anything it might be different, but they're glued up, pieced together, slightly better than particle board cabinets. >>1227529 is right. And it goes without saying that whatever color you go with, even if you decide to refinish, for the love of God add a shot of black so you don't look like an amateur?
>>
>>1227535
>add a shot of black so you don't look like an amateur?

/thread. OP can get to work now.
>>
Take a look at the glueup for the door. See how skinny the individual pieces are ?
Thats paint grade material.
Anyone who stains that thinking its gonna look high end is an fool.
OP you need to have a cohesive vision in place before you do anything to those cabs.
If it was me I would buy a cheap hvlp or airless and paint errything but you need to get the color right the first time
>>
The only thing that will save that kitchen is a shot of black
>>
File: P_20170813_111618_vHDR_On.jpg (2MB, 3928x2208px) Image search: [Google]
P_20170813_111618_vHDR_On.jpg
2MB, 3928x2208px
Here is the inside of the cabinet. It is strips of solid wood glued together. Slides and hinges are shit I was gonna replace them.

I was aiming at lost cost either paint/stain or just buying new door faces. In a year or two when I've got more money I could redo it but after dropping $50k down payment I'm low on cash.
>>
>>1228246
>I was aiming at lost cost either paint/stain or just buying new door faces.

New door faces will never match the cabinets. If you strip and stain what is your plan for the shelves, the back, etc? Mismatch like crazy or spend a lifetime stripping and staining every visible surface?

Same goes for painting. Where do you stop? Are you going to be happy with painted doors and exterior with the inside natural wood?

What is it that you don't like? Do you want them to be darker? They look wonderful to me. It's your house, of course, but if you can't decide between painting or staining it's not like you know what you want, except to change them from near perfect to something of a mess. Look around the kitchen. You have a lot of this wood to deal with.
>>
>>1227128
>If you use latex paint the doors will stick forever

A simple pad would take care of that.

>>1227529
This is the answer.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.