[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A portion of the floor in my basement is very rough concrete

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_1023.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1023.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
A portion of the floor in my basement is very rough concrete that sits about 1/2"-1" above the smooth floor. I need to get the floor semi level in preparation for carpet. It seems like too much material to just grind down but I don't have any experience with grinding anything but some smooth concrete right outside of a door. Another option might be to use a grinder with a cutting blade and get it close to level. What do you guys think?
>>
>>1227103
hand chisel and a hammer and go full retard on it if you wanna feel badass. Otherwise get/rent/buy a electric chipping hammer and break out the concrete.

Pour some leveling cement when done and enjoy your rug.
>>
>>1227103
The best option I an think of would be to rent this biggest grinder you can find that also can attach to a vacuum so you dont dust the fuck out of your house and grind it all down within an hour.

You could rent a jackhammer, bust it out, and repour it but that is a lot more effort and you are covering it anyways
>>
>>1227103

The smartest option is to think outside the box and just bring the rest of the floor up level with the bump. It increases the R value, makes the floor stronger, and increases the equity when it comes time to sell. You might have to trim the doors but that's not a deal breaker even if they have to be replaced. New doors really freshen up a living space.
>>
>>1227103
The day anon found Hoffa.

If you are anywhere near a homie depot, or have something like that. Rent a grinder. It will save you a lot of time.
http://www.homedepot.com/tool-truck-rental/Concrete-Grinder-10/50200-HD/index.html
The other method involves a high quality angle grinder and cutting wheels. Good for small stuff, but nope.jpg on that. The cheap harbor fright grinders will burn out.
>>
>>1227103
that's where the previous house owner wife's body is "stored"
just cover it with mat and forget about it
>>
>>1227103
You could always lay the carpet everywhere but that spot, and then put a couch over it...
>>
>>1227103
Build a storage unit there.
Carpet up to the unit.
profit!
>>
>>1227103
If that is quickcrete filling in a hole that was opened for plumbing/etc work, you'll have to test things, since it's different than your usual concrete.
But that stuff does break apart into chunks pretty easy, and I'd think it's easier to break out the majority, or try and use an air powered floor chisel and try to fracture it parallel to the ground then pour some sand/cement to level it.

If it was just a fucked up area and they dumped shit on there to cover the damage, it'll just chip away, since it's not likely adhered properly in any way.
>>
>>1227114

Best option: Grinder with vacuum attachment and a good cup wheel

>>1227135

> think outside the box and just bring the rest of the floor up level with the bump

Buy, mix and pour enough floor leveler to cover your entire basement floor by an inch or two to make up for this small area that is higher.

> It increases the R value, makes the floor stronger, and increases the equity when it comes time to sell.

R-value of concrete is about .5 per inch thick, the carpet and padding that will be going over it is around 1.5 or 2, so sure it "technically" increases R-value but its pretty negligible. Self leveling mix doesnt add strength, and I really doubt a smooth floor under some carpet will add enough value to the home to make up for the money and time spent mixing and floating it out, then potentially cutting or replacing doors.

Sometimes thinking inside the box is the smartest option.
>>
Install a closet in the rough corner.
>>
>>1227103

Meeoww
>>
>>1227261
who said anything about concrete? throw down a 2x2 every 16 inches and lay some plywood on that. way faster and easier.
>>
>>1227349
that takes a lot more time and costs a lot more than just renting a grinder and being done with it
>>
>>1227349

I really doubt that framing an entire new wood subfloor is "way faster and easier" than grinding a couple square feet of concrete an inch or two.
>>
Rent a terrazzo grinder.
>>
Just cover the floor with old newspaper till it's all level. This makes a lovely under carpet pad cushion.
>>
use a sit ton of vinyl floor level feather it out using a 12" drywall knife
>>
Or...jack hammer the spot until Jimmy Hoffa's hand pops out
>>
Grinding concrete is super dusty. No way a vacuum will get everything. The diamond pads for ultra aggressive concrete grinding are probably a ton as well. I'd check to see if there was any plumbing or breakable shit and if clear break it up and repour. If you grind try and wet grind to reduce dust.
>>
>>1229453
You would be surprised how well a vacuum can do with a high end large grinder like what HILTI makes, though they are also made to wet grind and vacuum, wet grinding is very messy.

A day rental, for a large grinder is going to be cheaper than getting a hammer drill or jackhammer, and busting it out, and he will also need to buy all the concrete, haul all the bags to the basement, mix all the shit in the basement, which will also get dust everywhere.

Grinding is the easiest possible way
>>
Buy a masonry chisel and have at it. Fill in any gaps you might have made afterwards and wala! Level floor.
>>
File: carbide.jpg (82KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
carbide.jpg
82KB, 1000x1000px
as someone who is working on their concrete subfloor i'll tell you that a chipping hammer wont do shit. An air chisel will chip at unevenly, a hand chisel will take forever and be uneven.
sand it down with one of these babies, found out about it on a contractor forum.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Marshalltown-6-in-x-3-in-20-Grit-Concrete-Rub-Brick-840-HD/100318060
>>
>>1229828
>a hand chisel will take forever

as will that tool you've shown. maybe a combination of the two, and he might need to patch it up if he goes below flush. but it's a concrete floor being prepared for carpet. whatever gets it flat and durable is fine.

hell, he's probably already finished and is laying carpet.
>>
If he wants it nice and smooth he should really take a 30lb chipping hammer with a chisel bit to it. "Over" chip it and then mix up some floor leveler.

That's the right way anyway. Grinding it down won't make it perfect and OP Will regret trying. It'll only take 10-15 mins or so with a chipper.
>>
>>1230487
Also to add to my last post, run a level or 2x4 over it once you're done to make sure you didn't miss any high spots.
>>
File: 1495573334261.jpg (45KB, 450x478px) Image search: [Google]
1495573334261.jpg
45KB, 450x478px
>>1227103
there's a body there. don't fuck with it.
>>
>>1230488
Except that he is covering it in carpet, I don't think he cares and grinding gets it close enough
>>
nigga just screed over the whole floor
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.