[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a way to become better with your hands?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: index.jpg (4KB, 267x189px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
4KB, 267x189px
It may sound strange to the people here but I hard time using my hands to do stuff properly, for example would have shaky hands, not grip something properly and in general not being skillful. Is there something that can be done to it so I stop fucking up or I should just give up on it.
>>
i lost like 90% of my hand skills when i got arthritis. one solution, i suppose, is to find apprentices, where you provide the knowledge and they provide the coordination.
>>
>>1226941
While you can train your muscles, there is no way to train your hand to do stuff better because it relies on flexibility not strength.
>>
Play piano.
>>
Would training on something like a rubiks cube help? And maybe one of those things for grip strength while you're at it.
>>
>>1226941
>shaky hands,
as much mental as it is physical

what i like to do, especially when either shooting a gun or handling a scalpel, is i take a few breaths and release all focus in my eyes. I find that focusing on an object both makes me anxious but also makes me over-correct even if I'm not anxious. releasing literal optical focus puts me in a more zen state where I can more easily align things, whether it's the blade of an X-Acto or the crosshairs in my scope

i find it's usually best to do things Fast or Well. either take the time to zen out to do it well, or do one quick stroke. it even applies in drawing, trying to draw something slowly and precisely is horrible and awful and never ends well, but drawing freehand with fast and confident strokes usually works out much better. but also, tracing slowly with a light hand and easy eyes generally works better than stressing out trying to eyeball measurements and make precise curves and lines

>not grip something properly
this is just technique, RTFM noob

>and in general not being skillful.
the trick is that no one is as precise as their tools. the tools offer the precision. the trick isn't to cut a straighter line on paper with scissors, it's to say "fuck it" and use a ruler and scalpel to make the same cut. don't saw freehand, use a jig made on a machine. or better yet, just use the machine. there's a reason that handmade items have "character" while machined things actually just fucking fit together properly
>>
try masturbating ur gf
>>
What about guitar or ukulele? Playing mucus feels more like fun than PT.

They also make finger strengthening putty if that sounds like it'll help.
>>
>>1226941
Practice. Take up knitting maybe.
>>
>>1226963
Rubiks cubes domt help, if amything its made me worse, now my hands move twitchier
>>
>>1226941
Try to learn to play a guitar. Stuff helps with hand coordination just right
>>
>>1226941
Learn TIG welding.
I used to have clumsy as fuck useless hands and now they're not far from surgeon-tier.
>>
>>1226966
>the trick is that no one is as precise as their tools. the tools offer the precision. the trick isn't to cut a straighter line on paper with scissors, it's to say "fuck it" and use a ruler and scalpel to make the same cut. don't saw freehand, use a jig made on a machine. or better yet, just use the machine. there's a reason that handmade items have "character" while machined things actually just fucking fit together properly
BS, real skill is being able to get high amounts of precision without all sorts of fancy jigs.
It's a VERY recent idea that handmade things should have "character" and imprecisions, wellmade wooden furniture used to be freaking precise, way more precise than machine-made stuff, cloths used to be made with freakishly high precision and would be unsellable if there was even the tiniest mistake.
This mindset causes people to blame a lack of precision on a lack of tools, while imo that is only very rarely the case.
>>
>>1227116
back in the day 90% of handmade furniture was done with jigs and not freehand. The difference is that machine-made stuff has consistent measurement from shop to shop.
Woven cloth was very precise and was woven on a LOOM, not with your hands.
Note, jigs, not tools.

>>1226941
I've heard caligraphy is pretty good for dexterity training, get one of those water caligraphy things.
>>
>>1226961
Not necessarily piano, but pick up a hobby that involves precise finger/hand movements, or basically any musical instrument. It won't solve everything (and you'll need to practice for a while before seeing results) but you'll get better at keeping steady. I have a friend, and we've both been working in a machine shop for a similar amount of time. I have much steadier hands, and I believe that it's because I'm a musician in my spare time.
>>
It helps me a lot to rest my elbow or forearm on something when doing tasks that take delicate hand motion. A few different types of tweezers; needle nose pliers; and a "helping hand" (it's a type of tool) also make things much easier.
>>
>>1226941
what are you trying to grip?
>>
>>1227428
what "day" do you mean?

the precision of woven cloth didnt come from the loom, it came from the person using it. a fuarkton of skill is required to use the *tool* loom correctly
>>
>>1226941
I had wobbly hands.
>>install stepmania, on pc using arrow keys and Q E for jumps
>>helps a LOT
>>play for ages
I paint freehand now, even gave the bike a coat of black using only a split nozzle.
>>
Go to pick a parts and take engines apart and reassemble them and just down the day swapping parts between cars
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.