[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mortar/Cement Question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: shutterstock_462881602.jpg (458KB, 900x601px) Image search: [Google]
shutterstock_462881602.jpg
458KB, 900x601px
I've been trying to find a cement that is based on a material that does not require quarrying for years, but the only thing I've ever been able to find is just plain old clay, which doesn't last. Preferably the base would be something like clay which is abundant and doesn't require quarrying, but can be amended somehow for durability. This is a for a non-desert area, so moisture resistance is required.
>>
>>1226497
Not happening or it would already be in wide use.

Why is quarrying a problem? It's worked for millennia and you won't be doing the quarry work. Place order, truck arrives with supplies, mix as needed, lay bricks, fucking done.

Overthinking simple shit is an obstacle to success.
>>
>>1226508
>Why is quarrying a problem?
Because it's destructive.

>It's worked for millennia
So has everything else mankind's done and look how well that's working out.

>Place order, truck arrives with supplies, mix as needed, lay bricks, fucking done.
>Food comes from the grocery store!
>>
>>1226516
>Because it's destructive.

so this alternative material comes from where, exactly?
>>
>>1226517
Less deep. Clay quarries create very natural wetlands. Quarries create holes into bedrock.
>>
>>1226518
>Quarries create holes into bedrock.

And that's worse why? On the scale of the earth it's like rubbing a few skin cells off your elbow. I agree that huge mines cause ecological problems, but cutting rock out of the ground seems harmless compared to lots of other processes.

And if you've ever been lucky enough to live near an abandoned quarry that has flooded they make the coolest swimming holes you can imagine as long as you use some common sense.
>>
>>1226523
>On the scale of the earth it's like rubbing a few skin cells off your elbow
No, it's like wiping away flesh to the bone.

>blah blah blah blah blah
K. Come back when you've manufactured portland cement from your backyard. The point of this was to be able to have an abundant cement source which doesn't require quarrying, so could be done just about anywhere self-sufficiently.
>>
>>1226497
Concrete rock's roughly 10 bucks a ton. But its a process to male actual concrete.
>>
>>1226508
Also around my area a 13-15 ton 10 wheeler dump truck load delivered is ~$250?
>>
>>1226516
>destructive.

Shit son. I'm not sure how a nice clean 30 feet deep pond with the rest backfilled and grass planted is destructive but okay.
>>
>>1226518
Unless the driller is a tard they leave a floor.
>>
>>1226523
You need to be very careful jump or dive. Those rocks can settle and move or stupid cows can shift boulders off of the top and then you are a potatoe
>>
>>1226516
Are you by chance the author of all those retarded vegan threads on /ck/?
>>
>>1226527
>K. Come back when you've manufactured portland cement from your backyard. The point of this was to be able to have an abundant cement source which doesn't require quarrying, so could be done just about anywhere self-sufficiently.

The point was to have a cement source that wasn't destructive, and when it was pointed out that this was a retarded concept you just doubled down.

To answer your question- no, there is no commonly used cement that can be obtained without digging up the earth.

Lime is an essential ingredient in any modern cement, which is derived from inorganic calcium compounds most commonly found in limestone. You can't make lime without calcium, so you'd need a large source of non-mined natural calcium to do what you suggest. There is no such source. Fortunately, calcium is one of the most abundant elements on Earth, so it's not like we're wasting a precious resource.

Historic cement alternatives aren't any less destructive to the environment. People have used extremely heavy petroleum products (bitumen- i.e. asphalt) in a similar role.

Also, clay cements still use lime in their production, pure clay is brittle and not suitable for building without transforming it into cement or adding a mechanical stabilizer (e.g. straw), but even then it's substandard.
>>
>>1227815
It isn't your fucking place to arbitrate what I'm allowed to do or what reasons I'm allowed to have. Make useful suggestions or go suck your own tiny dick. And you didn't say anything I don't already know or didn't fucking put in the OP.
>>
>>1227815
So you want want a substance that's made from rock, but without being made from rock.

Look, if you want to get into alternative materials, fine. But don't be such a moron about it. Research adobe or something, don't ask for something that is not possible by definition.
>>
File: 1491773227079.gif (63KB, 800x815px) Image search: [Google]
1491773227079.gif
63KB, 800x815px
>>1226497
>>1226516
>>1226527
>>1227851
ITT retarded psychopath vegan burns all bridges yet again

First of all, you have given no reasons why mining rock is bad.
You have only given crappy analogies with no basis in reality.

Are you going to stop eating plants just because I told you that it was like tearing out the arteries of the Earth?
Does that analogy even make sense?

Frankly, what you are looking for is fucking magic.
You've deluded yourself into believing that you can make something from nothing.
No matter what you create, you have to take it from somewhere.
Supporting large industrial operations requires squeezing every last ounce of material out of the Earth, and surface mining is the only way to accomplish that.

You need to pull your head out of your ass, face the reality of the foundations of civilization, or get out of it.
>>
>>1226497
Failure and regret is a good cement.
>>
>>1227913
>U CAN'T DO NUFFIN!!!
Great help. I wish I could meet you in person to give you the blowjob you seem to believe you deserve. I mean, fuck, do you charge for this level of expertise?

>Going into this much of a tizzy about what someone eats
I'm not even a vegan you fucking retard.
>>
>>1227842

I'm not judging you bro, but if you can't even be internally consistent or own up to your fuckups then you're not going to go places in this life.
>>
>>1226497
Have you looked into some mud brick housing vids? They just use dirt innit
>>
>>1228270
No good for wet areas. Only desert. I'm sure like everyfuckingthing I'll have to figure it out myself after everyone says it can't be done. Then they'll all want it. Fuck this retarded monkey species.
>>
>>1228273
so you're in a wet area. I'd recommend looking into historical building methods for your area or a similar climate. I know that plant cellulose and hydrated lime makes excellent cement but if you're really set on not using lime then maybe try that dried dogshit that turns white after being in the sun for a few days. It probably won't work but it might stink.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.