[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/diy/, is their any legitimate way my electronics hobby could

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 1416646689292.jpg (87KB, 640x479px) Image search: [Google]
1416646689292.jpg
87KB, 640x479px
/diy/, is their any legitimate way my electronics hobby could become a side hustle?

For example could selling completed projects on ebay make me enough spare income to be worth it in the long run?

>I'm mostly focused on audio equipment like amps, guitar pedals etc.
>>
>>1226485
There's a guy in my country that makes PCBs for guitars.
He puts the potentiometers, the switch and the capacitors in one PCB that is designed to fit the holes perfectly. You just need to solder the pickups, the jack and the ground wires. Makes it easy to install and it completely removes the mess of wires.
Its a simple and neat idea, and I think its a good way to make cash.
Pic related.
>>
>>1226485
I work on an technical university. We make more money than the average engineer or the equivalent professional. One of my colegues do guitars pedals as a hobby. Started making them for him, suddenly some other guitarrist like it and ordered one. Not in a month he have an equal income between the uni and the business so I think it's a good idea. The musician market its always big enough for more competitors and if you do some agregated-value stuff you'll be ok
>>
Build synthesizers, make $400 a build because it's A N A L O G
>>
>>1226485
For your interests, i'd focus on repair of existing equipment rather than creation of new stuff.

I've done a few design projects, one resulting in a patent. It's not an "easy" side gig, especially if you're keeping a regular full-time gig too.

Also bear in mind that when you start getting paid for a hobby, it stops being a hobby and starts being work.
>>
>>1226502
i have never had the slightest inclination to fiddle with my guitar pots before but fucking hell that is sexy.
>>
>>1226485
>buy dead lenovo laptop for pennies
>fix step-down converter on motherboard
>resell
>repeat
>>
You can probably fund your projects by selling extra PCBs.

I think if you are trying to actually make money it's mostly luck and probably not worth it unless you really love it. Look at pjrc of teensy, he's making a living but probably gets paid less than minimum wage based on the hours he puts in and that's a pretty successful board.

Music stuff though is probably pretty good to sell on Craigslist or whatever your local classified are. Guitar pedals all you need to do is undercut the local stores and most classic pedals have full schematics. Probably a weekend to layout a few pcbs and ship em to china.
>>
>>1226697
Know a guy who did this years ago with xbox's. Bought a pallet of dead ones for $1k or so, ended up making about $30k after repairs. Took him about a year to rework/test them all.
>>
>>1226485
yeah that's what electric engineers do
>>
>>1226485
youtube videos
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.