[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Home-Owner Tool Strategy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 6

File: donald-trump-steaks.jpg (26KB, 331x410px) Image search: [Google]
donald-trump-steaks.jpg
26KB, 331x410px
How do you fat-lipped, wide-nosed individuals go about accumulating your toolset? Personally, I monitor the big box companies for their "deal of the day" to see when thing go %50 off and nab it.
>>
>>1226268
I buy them at thrift stores and garage sales, or ill wait until I can afford nice and buy on ebay/amazon

I only impulse buy certain things at big box stores. If I absolutely need a tool now and I somehow dont have it already, ill buy it at the big box stores
>>
>>1226268
generally get my shit from the tool truck. if it's a one off specialty tool i'll get it from Princess Auto(Canadian HF) but that doesn't really happen too often
>>
>>1226268
Estate sales and craigslist. Takes a while for good stuff to pop up and when it does you have to haul ass to get it bUT it's the cheapest way to get tools
>>
Fucking poorfags. If I need something, I'll Google the best in that tool's class, and if I can find it local, buy it wherever is closest.
If I can't find it local, I'll order it with expidated shipping from a reputable dealer.
>>
Amazon, Canadian Tire's constant 50+% off sales, various used stuff.

I'm thinking about getting a jointer. That'll be a craigslist type purchase probably.
>>
File: Proxxon-23040.jpg (74KB, 649x288px) Image search: [Google]
Proxxon-23040.jpg
74KB, 649x288px
>>1226268
I started buying everything I needed as cheap as possible, so that at least I have the tool in the house for a quick repair. Spent very little to start with.

Every time something breaks, because I use it often, I replace it with the best I can afford. This way, the stuff I really use is top-notch, and stuff I rarely need is good enough, without wasting too much money.

Since I live in a concrete house I directly bough a very good hammer dril and a top-notch wire/pipe detector, 'cos that is hella expensive if you fuck up. The rest I just picked up over the years.

Latest acquisition is pic related. Cost me around 100 euro, but will last a lifetime
>>
>>1226596
>Cost me around 100 euro,

umm, anon, why does it say 1/2 and 1/4? CUZ MASTER RACE REPORTING IN!!
>>
>>1226268
i usually get tools for xmas, birthdays, anniversaries, and father's day
>>
>>1226559
>calls other people poorfags
>exhibits nigger rich tendencies himself
>pretends that rich folk aren't the cheapest fuckers out there

It amazes me the people who spend more on their toolboxes on credit than their car
>>
>>1226597
All drives are inch standard.
>>
I buy what I need at the moment. Look up what's a good product and buy it from cheapest store, preferably online if I have time. That way I only have tools that I need, instead of the ones that were cheap or discounted.
>>
My work bought me every tool I've had in the last 5 years. Gone through 2 DeWalt impact/drill sets, 8 batteries, tons of wrenches, screwdrivers, thousands of bits, hammers, punches, sockets, wire strippers, channel locks, et cetera...

Best part is, I charge the customer for it, and it officially belongs to them. Then I drop it in my toolbox and go buy more. This is the life of commercial and industrial repair, the client has more money than sense.

My garage isn't very full because I tend to sell or return stuff to buy power tools, I have a miter saw, various yard equipment, a mower, jigsaws, sanders, etc.
>>
>>1226604
>poorfag assuming I put this shit on credit

I just so happen to make enough money that I can afford a couple hundred dollars more for any given tool when I want it.
The peace of mind knowing nothing short of user error is holding me back on any given project is worth it. Have fun with your shitty chink shit, kid.
Maybe one day you'll make enough money to afford something worth having.
>>
File: nigger.jpg (37KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
nigger.jpg
37KB, 480x480px
>>1226268
>How do you fat-lipped, wide-nosed individuals go about accumulating your toolset?

I steals um from home depot ina white suburb you honky
>>
>>1226559
>festool withdrawal syndrome
>>
>>1226268
pawn shops and the dollar store

kijiji/craigslist has too many flakes. dolalr store has fine consumables/things you want A Bunch Of like blades and clamps, and pawn shops are fine for stuff like sewing machines or power tools
>>
>>1226997
pawn shops are a scam. they will get it used shit and sell it for above store price, to get their money worth. you can low ball it to market price, but then you paying for a tool at new price when it is old and used
>>
>>1227024
>Found the guy who doesn't know how to dicker/doesn't understand how pawn shops work
>>
>>1226574
Lowes has $300 tabletop ones if u wanna be able to move it
>>
>>1226624
Theiving faggot
>>
>>1226632
You're paying twice as much for shit that's 5% better.
I just bought a 3 ft Ridgid pipe wrench at estate sale, for $8. A new one is $100-150.
Its stupid. I make silly money at my job, but I'm also not a nouveau riche conspicuous consumption turd burgler.
>>
>>1226597
wat?
>>1226596
i also consider Proxxon Set(or a Wera one in the future) but i canot decite was thinking about geting a smaller one with the 1/4 ratchet and then geting a bigger on with the 1/2 but this big set looks good and has practicly the same things so i wonder how is it and ist it to heawy?
>>
>>1226632
>Maybe one day you'll make enough money to afford something worth having.

Everyone works with someone like you
Making 60k a year and think that you are hot shit.
Nigger
Rich
>>
>>1227143
>so i wonder how is it and ist it to heawy?
It is as you would expect :) Solid and heavy german professional tools. With the box it weights a few kg. I got it because it has everything would normally need in a house, is in a single solid steel box and heavy duty nylon insert, and was 30% off

I have some wera screwdrivers and they are very nice as well.
>>
I buy a tool when I need it - Regardless of whether or not it's cheaper in the long run to rent it

I have a problem.
>>
>>1227144
>60k

You're short by about 100k. It must suck being anything short of upper middle class, but I wouldn't know.
Suck it, poorfag.
>>
>>1227285
L A R P
A
R
P
>>
>>1227288
Whatever helps you sleep tonight in your bedbug ridden single bedroom apartment with paper thin walls.
>>
>>1227310
L A R P
A
R
P
>>
>>1226268
buy used tools that were intended to be used industrially, way better than the consumer crap you probably have.
>>
>>1227285
People who make that much money usually pay to have things worked on, why would you buy tools?
>>
whats the deal with biscuit joiners being so goddamn expensive? i mean fuck its a motor, cheap fence and indexing guide, and a small blade

how can dewalt get away with charging $200+ for one?
>>
>>1227339
Not him - but I do the DIY I enjoy doing despite my income being far above average here.

Fuck plumbing.
>>
>>1227339
You got me there, in the sense that if my plumbing or electricity shit themselves, I'll just pay someone to do it.
I mostly work on classic cars in my free time, but sometimes I'll get a wild hair up my ass and buy things to start other hobbies.
A few months ago I bought a makerbot 3d printer that I haven't even opened because I realized I have no desire to learn how to make 3d models. Oh well, right?
>>
>>1227343
They have elaborate fence systems which makes it expensive, especially for how specialized and not versatile they are
>>
>>1227351
>I bought a makerbot 3d printer

I thought you said you did research on finding the best stuff
>>
>>1226559

yeah. rich fags don't buy "the best". only wannabe's do that shit.
i've worked for very wealthy people and they half ass everything and are always on the look out for the cheapest deal.
>>
>>1227355
It's because he's lying.
>>
Flea markets and pawn shops. If it's a good deal and I know i"ll use it eventually, i buy it.
>>
>>1227361
You dont get rich being dumb, and you dont stay rich by being loose with your money
>>
>>1227343
harbor freight has one. less than $50. i have one. works great
>>
File: IMG_20170713_102345.jpg (456KB, 980x735px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170713_102345.jpg
456KB, 980x735px
>>1227148
i personaly have like 15 of the Wera screwdrivers nand so far i like them they compfy AF, gona fill probably a whole drawer in my workshop with them now i buy mostly the ones they dont have in the sets and have them on store by piece
Proxxon will probably wait till i get more cash
and the end price or i buy the separete sets the one 1/4 costs like 30 bucks (4 to 13 or 14 nuts + the other stuff) or so in a steel box hat the honor to play with the rachtet and it was like music
>>1226268
>How do you fat-lipped, wide-nosed individuals go about accumulating your toolset?
inherit a bunch of tools sadly many are in realy bad shape, then i got a small roling tool box(mostly car tools, or more like truck tools) my ass dad lef behind as my mom kicked him out, found bunch buyd bunch etc.
Have a rule every time i go to hardware store to buy something for the shop even if its a small 1€ center punch, also buying sets by pice if its posible(when you dont have the cash) - who cares if it will take 2 years u still get the whole set
pic releted(maybe one day in my workshop)
>>
>>1226268
auctions. especially estate auctions. i go most weekends.
>>
>>1227059
Different Anon, but please can someone explain how pawn shops work? I come from a different country and have to set up a work shop here in NorCal. I understand the procedure of how they work, but not their margins. Have no idea how much to offer. Thanks!
>>
>>1228261
what do you want in a pawn shop?
also want to know that too all i know about pawnshops is from TV lol (we to have them here to but not so specific and bigass like in US)
>>
>>1226427
this is the right answer if you have more time than money.

>>1226559
this is the right answer if you have more money than time.

I've been in both positions and now have too many tools.
>>
>>1228274
I'm a custom upholsterer/furniture designer. Need a compressor, staple guns, sewing machine, serger, foam cutter, button dies and press etc. Will be checking out Craigslist etc, but want to try a pawn shop too.
>>
>>1226620
I do this same thing. It seems to be the most practical way of building up a shop for yourself.
>>
>>1226268
Multiple strategies. Large and expensive tools are best from yard sales, companies shutting down etc. I got a $1500 cabinet saw for $300 from a big divorce sale. Guy threw in a set of Forest dado blades for another $100. Got a huge old craftsmen drill press for free because a local company shut down and it didn't sell. Also got a set of chisels and planes from yard sales and sharpened them up nice as new.
Cheap stuff I get on sale from the local hardware store like drill bits, screw bits etc. Black friday deals are good for decent drills, miter saws, etc. Nothing super nice, but still good for home stuff.
>>
>>1227024
Only a scam if you are a dumbass or disrespectful. I buy 90%of my tools at pawn shops and if you make friends with them they cut you deals, like half price on power tools and first dibs on the cool shit
>>
>>1227739
Next time buy a lesson on the English language.
>>
>>1228475
How often do you diyers buy shit like drills and miter saws? And I mean diy, not using it daily at your job. I buy Porter Cable everything and the shit lasts forever. Only upgrade every 7ish years when the new stuff looks cooler than the old stuff.
>>
>>1228478
It depends on the pawn shop. Some especially chains price things fast to sell because they get so much in they want to free up space for more asap then others are the opposite. There's one in a ghetto area of my city where no one would buy this type of stuff that first time you walk in you think you hit the motherlode of rare video games, but they all well above eBay prices, and the neckbeard running the electronics section won't haggle at all even though they've been sitting for years. There's a copy of Michael Jackson's Moonkwalker for genesis missing manual for $100 that has been sitting there since around when Michael Jackson died.
>>
>>1228528
>I buy Porter Cable everything
Ah, you mean Stanley Black and Decker everything then. Unless it says made in Syracuse, NY then it is probably Stanley's mid tier tool line and made in China. Right above B&D and right below DeWalt on their price scale. The old USA factory was shuttered around 2005. Anything made after that is import stuff from China. Really, though, the brand went to pot back in the 80s except for a few select tools, like their 7/8th HP router (discontinued completely when the USA factory closed). Their old tools from back when they were independent (they were bought by Rockwell in 1960) are legendary. The Rockwell era was mixed but some of their tools were still very good. They changed hands again in 1981 or so and it has been downhill since.
>>
>>1228574
Did I ask you any of that?
>>
>>1226268
>asking advice only from "fat-lipped, wide-nosed individuals"

>all these people answering OP legitly.

Fuck off, OP.
>>
>>1228638
Just ignore him
He pops into every tool thread trying to feel special because he googled the family trees of all the different tool names.

Itll only take a few more posts before he starts complaining that every cordless brand is "chinkshit" and that he only buys 20 pound corded tools from the 40s.
>>
>>1227083
Let's be real here, customer A wants the A/C up and running at all costs. That cost is my labor, travel and tool fees. Customer A wants the A/C running so they can make 50,000 dollars in sales. My 1000$ bill is chump change.
>>
>>1228574
>EVERYTHING NEW IS JUST TERRIBLE, BACK IN 1901 WE USED TO USE MANUAL VIBRATORS AND LEAD DILDOS. THOSE WERE THE GOOD OLE DAYS I TELL YA WHUT
>>
>>1228540
Those type of pawn shops make money on the stupidest people
>>
>>1226632
>nothing short of user error is holding me back
Generally a true statement.
For more complicated tools, usually electronics, "buy once, cry once" is generally the way to go.
But for hand-powered tools, you should just get the cheapest shit you can find because it's literally impossible to fuck up. If you use a tool until it breaks, that is the point when you get a more expensive version.
>>
Hand-me-downs
Buy used at yard sales or estate sales (got a Table saw and a miter saw for $30 put together last weekend)
Get as gifts
Or build them.

I don't think I have 1 brand new tool that I bought myself.
>>
I usually keep a chunk of money set aside for such things. When a need arises, I buy decent (but not top) quality tools, with very few exceptions. Wera, Bacho, Makita, that tier of stuff. I then proceed to take ridiculously pedantic care of everything. I still haven't lost or broken a single piece of the 200 piece socket set I bought in 2006. The key to not fucking your shit up is to buy the right tool rather than bash your ratchet with a pry bar and hammer.
>>
File: 1491598854227.jpg (43KB, 469x610px) Image search: [Google]
1491598854227.jpg
43KB, 469x610px
If he didn't want it stolen, he shouldn't have left it there
>>
>>1227149
>I buy a tool when I need it - Regardless of whether or not it's cheaper in the long run to rent it

>cutting sheet metal with jigsaw
>"this is complete and total ass"
>better buy plasma cutter; nevermind that it's my entire paycheck
>now I need a new air compressor
>now I need all the filters and piping to rig this crap up

...and this is the story of how I spent $1000 to cut two holes out of some 18-gauge.
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.