[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

cord cutting general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: CM-2018-2.jpg?1478279023.jpg (58KB, 675x500px) Image search: [Google]
CM-2018-2.jpg?1478279023.jpg
58KB, 675x500px
Stupid dtv is being a serious pain. There is a problem with one specific station, where sometimes it works, sometimes I get nothing unless I hold onto the coax cable. All the other channels are fine, and the problem one is the closest, just under 5mi away.

Currently using a medium sized antenna outside on a 10ft pole. The cable goes in through the side to a coax wall plate, then to a converter box.

I don't know what the problem is, if it just that it needs to be higher up or if there is a grounding issue. What exactly would need to be grounded and how is what I am stumped on.
>>
>>1226187
Whats the best antenna rotator?
>>
>>1226193
I've never used one, but the better choice is probably a different style antenna meant for signals in different directions
>>
>>1226187
Have you tried aluminum foil?
>>
>>1226343
as dumb as it sounds....yes
>>
>>1226187
this is where 'grounding' gets fun, and why you shouldn't use ground for everything.

the shield of the coax is just the second wire to the antenna, the signals it collects and sends down the cable need two wires to create a current loop just like everything else.

the reason its connected to a local electrical ground is because ground is good at collecting wayward voltages and stamping out signals picked up by the braid to stop them hitting the signal core in the coax. gives them somewhere to go. but its not perfect.

so lots of things could be happening. you could be giving the shield a better ground because of your capacitance or you could be picking up the tv signal and imposing it on the coax. the signal might be too strong and you are adding noise omto the ground effectively reducing the signal to a reasonable level.

whats the converter box? outside? full of water?

normally i would say rip it all out, scrap wall plates, log periodic aerial, new foil shield coax. then work in any wall plates, splitters, if you want and see how it affects signal.
>>
>>1226395
>whats the converter box? outside? full of water?
what is it?
>A digital television adapter (DTA), commonly known as a converter box, is a television tuner that receives a digital television (DTV) transmission, and converts the digital signal into an analog signal that can be received and displayed on an analog television set.

no it is not outside, they're never meant to be used outside
>>
>>1226187
look up the specs on the station, frequency and transmission power
VHF channels still exist, but had to dramatically lower their power.
VHF frequencies also tend to require a different style antenna or second feed.
See if your antenna is tuned primarily for UHF and lacking VHF elements
or just use some old bunny ears and a loop
>>
>>1226637
it looks like this one
https://www.channelmaster.com/Digital_HDTV_Outdoor_TV_Antenna_p/cm-2016.htm

yeah, I'm thinking the station might be partly at fault since it seems I'm not the only one with a problem with mainly this channel

I will look for one of those junky flat antennas just for kicks....maybe see if I could get it somewhere higher up
>>
>>1226187

OP

people sometimes are very surprised to note that a cable fitting has A LOT to do with the reception you're getting. make sure your fittings are flush with the dielectric (white stuff inside coax) and that they're screwed on TIGHTLY at every connection (including BEHIND your wallplate).
>>
>>1226651
that is for high vhf, but not low vhf

i put this in my attic and i pick up all the channels
https://www.channelmaster.com/Masterpiece_Digital_HDTV_Antenna_p/cm-5020.htm
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.