[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Passing a smog check in CA after a manual swap

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

File: 1990-Subaru-SVX-Concept-01.jpg (103KB, 1132x438px) Image search: [Google]
1990-Subaru-SVX-Concept-01.jpg
103KB, 1132x438px
Here's a doozy.

I just bought a 97 subaru svx with the intention of doing a manual swap on it (these were only made as autos).

So now I find out that this year is an obd2 car, and the ecu will throw a check engine light if it doesnt see an automatic tranny. This is bad because a check engine light = automatic smog failure in commifornia.

Any ideas around this? Am I boned, and just stuck with an auto?
>>
File: 3.jpg (202KB, 620x330px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
202KB, 620x330px
>>1226080

Easy mode : Get the ecu from a manual one, 35 bucks at your local pull apart place.

Intermediate mode : Sweet talk pablo into passing it for an extra 50 bucks.

Hard mode: Swap it back to auto , pass smog and inspection, swap it back to manual.

Fuck it mode: Leave it as is, use it as a track car get another car to daily drive.
>>
>>1226087
He said they didnt come with manual cars
>>
>>1226087
Easy mode wont work unfortunately because there is no "manual one" in existence.

I don't have the gumption to try a bribe haha.

Fuck hard mode.

Thanks though. I appreciate the reply.
>>
Find the sensor or brain box of the automatic and attach it to the ecu.

Alternative, figure how it determines an auto is present and fake it. It may be as simple as splice a resistor between 2 wires all the way to making a circuit that spams a square wave at a certain frequency.
>>
>>1226089
He probably meant you should find the ecu from an automatic transmission and hook up that ecu along with your manual transmission.

I have no idea if that will work, but it's worth a shot.
>>
File: just.jpg (92KB, 757x398px) Image search: [Google]
just.jpg
92KB, 757x398px
>>1226088
>>1226089

Yeah I know, but certain ecus from other manual models can be used ( A little research involved) If not the other way is to open up your ecu and ad in resistors to the jumpers that detect the tranny. (Look up ecu tranny swap ecl resistor mod). If you can solder you can do this and it takes like 5 minutes. if you cant mind a performance shop or some place online to add in resistors to the tranny jumpers for you.

Here is a thread with different ways to achieve this mod.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49466

I believe in you op, you can do it.
>>
easy move the hell out of that stupid ass state problem solved
>>
>>1226080
get a scanner and reset the trouble code. if it stays off long enough you might be good. or pull the bulb out of your check engine light. or put black tape between the bulb and whatever is behind the dashboard glass.
>>
>>1226089
easy mode won't work because the cars not going to start either.
>>
>>1226080
find the wire going to the check engine light. termimate. or just shut everything on the dash off. rip the fuse out or something.
>>
>>1226145
>>1226148

Thats not how CA smog works. They plug into your ECU and if there are any codes that would trip the engine light you fail.

Also, you have to drive at least 150 mi after resetting the codes or it wont pass.
>>
>>1226104
Wont using an ecu from another model raise eyebrows when the smog tester sees a different model than in front of them?

Also, I hope your 2nd idea works, but I thought that doing a wiring trick only worked with obd1 cars. I was under the impression that the ecus were more complicated in obd2 cars. Is this true?

I dont have much experience with cars so please excuse my naivety, and thanks for the help!
>>
>>1226089
feed it the signals it needs to see the auto
>>
>>1226159
>I was under the impression that the ecus were more complicated in obd2 cars. Is this true?
Yes. They really do approach the ideal of an industrial plant, a series of sensors and actuators controlling a process.

>>1226080
It's a long shot, but could Subaru have anticipated this swap after the fact, and might they have a calibration somewhere in their library for this very occasion?
>>
>>1226200
That would be nice, how would I go about finding this? Email Subaru HQ?
>>
>>1226200
Your local Subaru dealer service might have an idea of where to start asking, but maybe the guys on the boards are better sources for non-standard modifications like this. I know that in the GM world a lot of this shit is software configuration but I don't know nothing about no Subaru.
>>
>>1226080
Given what others have said, you're probably better off getting an aftermarket ECU which can be programmed, plus it'll give you some better tuning options later on. Nearly all ECU's from that era of Jap car (and I've owned a few but no SVX! Thats super rare here and hard to import) aren't programmable.
>>
>>1226280
I was looking into that. I am just unsure if an aftermarket ecu will make me fail inspections. Also, the person I bought this from claimed he had already swapped the trans to a superior 4eat auto with 4.44 gear ratio (I haven't had a chance to check this yet), and now I'm wondering if I should just stick with this.

I've been looking at getting an SVX for a while, and jumped on this since it was for a good price near me. Now I'm regretting not buying an older model :(.
>>
File: 1491533570747.png (1MB, 1098x1645px) Image search: [Google]
1491533570747.png
1MB, 1098x1645px
>>1226280
>Nearly all ECU's from that era of Jap car (and I've owned a few but no SVX! Thats super rare here and hard to import) aren't programmable.

This is what you get for buying a car that doesnt respect your freedoms
>>
>>1226299
>non burger
US cars here are nearly as hard to get, but I can pretty much import nearly anything. Just on a price vs value, grey importing here is a lot easier if they're RHD
>>
File: 1496078712964.jpg (48KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
1496078712964.jpg
48KB, 600x400px
>>1226307
Software that doesnt respect your freedom goes far beyond the scope of just USA or European cars my friend.
>>
Meeeh, the whole open source ECU thing has some minor complications, namely, that the ECU itself is an emissions control device, and by Cali and Federal law (and Canadian, and European, and and and) needs to be designed to resist tampering so that you don't go loading up your own coal-rolling spark advance tables or something like that. Unfortunately, that also complicates such useful modifications as engine or transmission swaps. Oh well.
>>
>>1226326
True freedom is being oppressed by bureaucracy? Tell me something I dont know
>>
Depending on how bad you want it:
Custom ECU, like a Megasquirt or something
>>
CONDITIONAL PASS
>>
>>1226410
Are those street-legal?
>>
Register your car in Texas
>>
>>1226861
Just Google it, has to be a stock ECU in Cali. But if the car isn't modified out the ass, in sure they wouldn't notice. Not like it's easy to check.
>>
>>1226159
>Wont using an ecu from another model raise eyebrows when the smog tester sees a different model than in front of them?
Probably not. Looking isn't on the checklist.
>>
>>1226156
>Also, you have to drive at least 150 mi after resetting the codes or it wont pass.
Depends between cars what the drive cycle is to set the monitors, driving at a certain speed for so many miles etc etc.
>>1226159
The ecu is more complicated, good fucking luck if you aren't into embedded.
If you were to do an ecu swap make sure it doesn't need paired key for immobiliser
>>
>>1226290
Doing some thinkering
The SVX was complicated enough at the time to have a transmission control unit, which if you yank it off and throw it away will still get engine warning codes. They key there is keep that unit bolted up to the loom and it sits there as pretty much a redundant unit, or you can fiddle around with the loom and see if a loopback across it's connections will cancel the engine code warning.
>>
>>1226926
I dont know anyone in texas :(
>>1226965
I thought about that (leaving in the tcu), but after browsing enough forums I found someone who did just that and still got error codes from the lack of tranny. And I don't want to try something unless I'm sure it'll work, because I dont want to be stuck with an unsmoggable car.
>>
>>1226080
Cit the faggot snitchlight out or move to a non nazi state.

Fuck, im tagging a beer cooler soon and nobody will say shit
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.