[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /diy/, I work at an irrigation company. All I do is assemble

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 7

Hey /diy/, I work at an irrigation company. All I do is assemble shit like valve openers and clamps and crap but there's this one valve opener where you have to shove a tiny 3/4 gauge inside the valve. It's a pain in the ass and slows me down when I have to do 100+ in a shift. Isn't there some kind of tool for this? Is there a trick I'm missing? Doesn't look exactly like pic related but close
>>
>>1225529

>gauge
*gasket
>>
>>1225529
Are there others who do the same thing?
Are they completing the work faster than you?
If you answered yes to both, yes there's a trick/skill you're missing. Ask them.
>>
>>1225529
would assembly grease be ov some help.
>>
>>1225529
A piece of pipe maybe?
>>
>>1225529
can you modify some needlenose pliers to put the gasket where you need it?
>>
>>1225529
assembly grease is a grease used for temporarily holding components in place while assembling. little things like the little balls in a valve body
>>
>>1225537
>>1225543
>>1225557
we have some kind of powdery stuff that helps but you have to pinch the gasket in half and put it inside the body of the valve opener where the handle stem meets the body. you have to pinch it with your fingers and then fuck with it with a flathead screwdriver to get it in place. I was thinking about some kind of pipe. I'm surprised there isn't a tool for this though
>>
>>1225600
I'm assuming a pick wouldn't be adequate. like a pick set. I don't know how many times I've seen people poke things with wrenches and screwdrivers when a pick is the right tool.
>>
>>1225600
does the gasket have any holes for screws to go through it.
>>
>>1225604
I Don't think I'm describing this well. So, when you stick the stem (a long skinny cylinder of metal) through the top hole of the valve opener, in the OP pic where the handle meets the valve opener, on the inside of the opener there's a little place to put a gasket which looks like a cylinder of rubber with a hole in the middle that the stem fits through. it stops water getting out of the top of the opener. rubber likes to stick to steel and the cavity for the gasket is small, you have to smash the gasket in between your fingers and fit it in, when it expands its out of place and you force it flush with the inside of the opener with a screwdriver. fuck I'll just come back with pics tomorrow
>>
File: 1488671651512.jpg (18KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1488671651512.jpg
18KB, 500x500px
?
>>
>>1225529
>Hey /diy/, I work at an irrigation company.
>I dont know how to assemble the companies parts properly

sounds lie you got bad training or no trainign at all.. ask your fucking boss how do assemble THEIR PRODUCTS and not /diy/

jesus christ people stop enabling the lazy. why the hell would you work for some place and then ask the internet how to do your job?
>>
>>1225529
Confusing.

Does OP actually mean to just say valve? not valve opener

And is he referring to the packing around the stem under a packing nut?
>>
File: IMAG0167.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0167.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>1225802
You're right! But this is how they trained me to do this. Pics coming. This is a 3/4 gasket
>>
File: IMAG0169.jpg (1MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0169.jpg
1MB, 1836x3264px
This is what the inside of a valve opener looks like. That's where you put the gasket. As you can see its a tight fit
>>
File: IMAG0172.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0172.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
This is what the gasket looks like when it's in place. It's honestly not that hard to do now but I'm surprised there is no tool for it
>>
File: IMAG0168.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0168.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>1226172
Side view
>>
File: Telescoping_Gauge.jpg (45KB, 400x342px) Image search: [Google]
Telescoping_Gauge.jpg
45KB, 400x342px
>>1225529
Order some of these from MSC. Measure after expansion with micrometers. You're QC now bruh.
>>
>>1226175
Round gasket stuffed in square hole.

I'd get a piece of square tubing about the size of the hole. pre-load the gasket into the end of the square tube. Insert tube into valve body and push gasket with a wooden dowel into it's seat in valve.
>>
>>1226172

if they trained you improperly then go ASK YOUR BOSS for proper training or the proper tools you need to DO THE JOB!
>>
A stepped UHMW or nylon rod turned to fit inside the seal (it's not a gasket) would make that job fast and easy.
It would increase production, protect the seal, and be better than fiddling with a screw driver.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.