[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I was in the middle of installing a new ignition coil for my

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: ford.jpg (138KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
ford.jpg
138KB, 1024x768px
I was in the middle of installing a new ignition coil for my 2007 Ford Focus SE, as I pulled the old coil out I noticed oil was dripping and that there was oil in the spark plug well and oil was surrounding the spark plug. I believe this happened because the coil I was replacing was already faulty and had been tweeked with, and my dumbass decided to wait in replacing it thus I believe a misfire happened. With that said if I just replace my spark plugs and remove the oil from the well, while I have the new coil on there, will my car be ok? or could I possibly need a new gasket as well?
>>
How much oil we talking?
My 07 Jetta also has oil but it is a very small amount that dried up
I have changed the coils twice already and plugs once and never saw an increase of oil or burnt residue
Car runs fine tho
What do you mean by tweaked with??
>>
>>1225435
There's oil surrounding the spark plug, as for the tweaked coil, its like this about a month ago I was driving and one of spark plugs shot out, breaking the ignition coil. All spark plugs were changed but that one ignition coil, the spring within it was jacked up, so I took a screwdriver and pulled on the spring far enough so that it may touch the spark plug. Once all that was done, my car was running fine until my check engine light came on and I knew it was my coil, and thus that's how discovered there's oil
>>
>>1225433
It's possible that you might need a new valve cover gasket. And that the oil got into the coil pack and caused a failure.

I'm not familiar with Ford Focus, but in general, valve cover gaskets aren't a terribly big deal. Usually within the skillset of most /diy/ers.
>>
Most of the time, there is an O ring on the bottom of the valve cover. Replacent O rings for the plug sockets come with a valve cover kit . Youll have to do it or it will continue to misfire.
>>
>>1225440
maybe the thread is damaged
>>
>>1225433
Your car is perfectly fine and undamaged. Like the other anons said, it could be the valve cover gasket or oring grommets that valve covers have.

With that said, how close is the coil to the oil cap?
I know in some configurations when you change the oil, if you spill it, itll drop right down the hole under your coil.
>>
>>1226920
Not a fun repair if so
>>
File: IMAG0118.jpg (1MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0118.jpg
1MB, 2688x1520px
>>1225440
> one of spark plugs shot out

>>1226921
> Your car is perfectly fine and undamaged
Nice to see the bench racing faggots of /o/ have arrived.

OP, if the sparkplug literally popped out of its seat, and unless you got the head rethreaded (and even then I'd be very skeptical, to rethread you's need to either tap a larger thread, or backweld into the hole, redrill and rethread to match the existing spark plug diameter) the oil is 100% blowing past your spark plug. Nothing to do with gaskets or any of the other shit these faggots are going on with. If I had to guess I'd say someone has overtorqued the fuck out of the plug in the past and weakened the threads.

Clean all the oil out, take it for a run, see if the oil returns. Carefully observe the walls of the spark plug hole to verify the oil hasn't leaked from the top down, then start looking for a new head, because as I say, if the thread has ripped out, there's basically no way of repairing it that will be cheaper than a new head.

Pic related, my Focus, about to get a new radiator.
>>
>>1226946
Further to this, ask a friendly mechanic to do a quick compression test on the cylinder in question. If the thread is indeed fucked they should see lower than expected compression. I've never had a mechanic charge me for a 2 minute compression test, I doubt many would.
>>
>>1226946
> the oil is 100% blowing past your spark plug.

>Nothing to do with gaskets or any of the other shit these faggots are going on with

Hmm, where exactly do you think the oil is coming from. Its "blowing past the threads" but its not a gasket. Then you go off about a compression test. Do you understand what a compression test is actually testing?
>>
File: notwant45801.jpg (29KB, 436x436px) Image search: [Google]
notwant45801.jpg
29KB, 436x436px
>>1226949
Yeah actually you're right, that doesn't logic at all, I was fixated on the "popped" sparkplug. If he has oil in his cylinder he's got bigger problems, which a compression test would also verify. I'd still be worried about those threads though, unless he meant the core of the plug popped out of it's base.

Slinking back to the depths here boss..
>>
>>1226951
Im not saying his engine is fine or that it isnt cross threaded and destroyed.
It could be an under torqued spark plug that jiggled loose and when it blew out it ruined the inner valve gasket which caused the leak afterwards.

OP didnt give a lot to go on. A compression test would be the correct thing to do first.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.