[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help! My math sucks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: star destroyer engines.jpg (459KB, 1014x633px) Image search: [Google]
star destroyer engines.jpg
459KB, 1014x633px
I need to make these two different engine sizes for a star destroyer model I'm making out of steel. To get the size of the steel plate right, I'm drawing it on paper first and then cutting it out and folding the paper into that shape. But it doesn't match the right sizes.

Small engines:
Small diameter: 24mm
Large diameter: 36mm
Height: 21mm

Large engines:
Small diameter: 44mm
Large diameter: 72mm
Height: 53mm

If I just draw a circle of 24mm and 36mm then the height won't match. If I draw a 24mm circle and then another circle 21mm larger (height) and fold it to the large diameter size then the smaller diameter becomes too small.

How do you calculate the correct sizes to draw this out on a flat piece of paper?
>>
File: starship_trooper.png (20KB, 1640x1400px) Image search: [Google]
starship_trooper.png
20KB, 1640x1400px
>>1225351
>to draw this out on a flat piece of paper?

have you asked /po/? they might have a nifty tool that does it automatically. sounds like you want a simple cone.

My approach is not great, but:

Divide the top circumference by how many panels you want. In the drawing, I used 24.

pi * diameter / panels = width of the panel at that end.

The length of the edge is 6/ (sin (atan (6/21)); atan(6/21 tells you alpha, and then sin(alpha) = 6/length. in this case it is 21.84.

Then laboriously draw 24 panels laid side to side. They won't connect at either end until you wrap it into a cone shape.

For the sheet metal it might look cooler to cut 24 panels with a bit extra for overlap and then rivet them together along the seam.
>>
>>1225351
Did you google it?
http://craig-russell.co.uk/demos/cone_calculator
>>
Awesome, thanks!
>>
>>1225351
Why steel? Aluminum or brass would be easier to work, even if you're going studio scale.
>>
>>1225773

I only have a cheap stickwelder and some random metalworking tools. Doesn't have to be super detailed, I want to place it outside once I'm done with it.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.