[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

car front axle nut toyota corolla

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

File: 2rrrr19.jpg (284KB, 1046x1017px) Image search: [Google]
2rrrr19.jpg
284KB, 1046x1017px
Ran into a peculiar problem with my car, when tightening my axle nut back up. it locks the axle to the knuckle, where as before it would spin freely like its suppose to.. I didnt take the assembly apart, only took off the axle nut and put it back on
>>
Too tight, they should only have about 15-20lb of torque
>>
>>1224998
i feel like ur right but a lot of sources say around 250 ft/lbs. It did take a 6 ft bar to remove it anyway
>>
>>1225001
i mean 150

wtf is with these captchas and time delays
>>
>>1225001
Shit your right could be kg/cm, which is roughly 250
If you've got a workshop manual it'll have the specs in there and generally the nuts are a one-use, just don't over tighten too much or you might mangle the bearings
>>
>>1224994
>where as before it would spin freely like its suppose to
its a front wheel drive car, its not supposed to rotate freely.
Also you probably have the other tire on the ground with the car in park right?
>>
>>1225022
I actually posted something like this calling OP a retard, but deleted it because I thought "surely he's not so stupid as to not realise he's bumping up against the parking pawl in that clearly FWD vehicle, is he..?"

Maybe I give this site too much credit
>>
>>1225022
i torqued axle nut with the opposite tire on the ground, but then even the small amount of normal play disappeared.. then when i lifted both tires, hub wont rotate even when axle nut finger tight lol. but when axle nut is loose, u can spin the hub and it will spin opposite wheel through the differential or whatever.
>>
>>1225027
i dont know shit, but its a manual so
>>
What else did you do to the wheel? Just unscrewing and screwing back the nut isnt gonna cause the problem you are saying..
>>
>>1225056
only slid the axle back and forth like an inch..I didn't take it out of the bearing/hub
>>
axle nuts are generally around 150ft lbs. just google it, pretty much all torque specs for every car ever made are widely available.it should spin pretty easily so if it's stiff or won't move at all it's too fucking tight
>>
You may have a bad bearing. The hub looks like its touching the case thing from what i see in your pictures. It may have happened when you retorqued the nut.
>>
You may have jammed up the bearing somehow when you were putting it back together. Recheck the placement of any washers or shims on the axle as they may be causing the binding. A missing washer could pull the face of the CV axle into the back of the knuckle and prevent the assembly from turning, for instance.

FWD axle nuts are often one time use and torqued to all fuck because they are effectively the only thing holding the hub and bearing assembly together. Make sure you can reuse the axle nut before you trust it. Otherwise, your wheel and hub may just fly off into traffic one day (I've seen this happen on the highway before).

I don't know how comfortable you are with really taking it completely apart. There's no real way to inspect it without taking the whole knuckle out, which means disconnecting the upper and lower ball joints, and outer tie rod ends.
>>
>>1225088
Oh. That's a MacPherson strut, so no upper ball joint. Still a pain in the dick to get apart if you aren't prepared to replace joints/boots or get the car realigned.
>>
Check the oil seal has not been folded in. Had this happen once after a brand new one was fitted. Ended up rounding the edge of the CV just a tad for easy insertion.
>>
>>1224998
Usually something like 10-20 ft-lbs initially to seat the bearings. Then back the bolt off and torque to 1) a couple of foot-lbs max, 2) just enough so the washer behind the bolt can't be moved with a screwdriver, 3) just enough to take the play out of the bearing when wiggling the hub, or 4) some preload spec, which is a few foot-pounds of torque ON THE HUB to start it turning. The specs for that car will tell you which.

Then, there's a washer and a jamb nut that goes on top of that. While holding the inner nut in position (set by procedure above), you tighten the jamb nut to something like 40 ft-lbs (spec will give the right number).

Make sure you aren't using the jamb nut torque on the inner nut, squashing the bearing.
>>
>>1225464
Sounds legit for a back wheel drive front wheel bearing. But this isn't.
>>
>>1225473
That's the procedure for a front wheel bearing on all wheel drive/for wheel drives. Done it many times.
>>
>>1225825
No it isn't. Stop pretending to know what you're talking about, you're spreading misinformation.
>>
>>1225825

It isn't even true for all RWD. Some say basically what you said, others specify a torque greater than what you said.

I actually do what you recommended, but I only work on my ancient Ford trucks. If I were working on a semi-modern vehicle, I'd have a manual or at least go online and try to separate the know-it-alls (like you) from those who actually know.
>>
>>1225834
>>1225464

>Some say basically what you said, others specify a torque greater than what you said.

well fuck. You actually said this. Sorry about my reading failure.
>>
File: 20170811_152551.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170811_152551.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>1224994
k i took the strut and knuckle off lol, looks good. i put white paint and found a spot where it rubs but shouldnt be touching. so i gently punching it back slightly and it works good now,
>>
File: 20170811_152914.jpg (2MB, 2988x4150px) Image search: [Google]
20170811_152914.jpg
2MB, 2988x4150px
also found this crack in the CV,
>>
>>1227290
>>1227296
Oh shit nigger I hope you pushed the knuckle up so the axle was level before you tightened it. Otherwise you absolutely positively dun goofed
>>
>>1227304
yea i thought about that, but that crack looks real old, also the splines keep it super centered
>>
File: to what end.jpg (59KB, 540x718px) Image search: [Google]
to what end.jpg
59KB, 540x718px
>>
>>1227315
lol what a moron
>>
>>1227315
>axe
>>
File: speedpaint.jpg (19KB, 480x361px) Image search: [Google]
speedpaint.jpg
19KB, 480x361px
>>1227315
yup
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.