[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to dismount tire from car and mount? I'm a newbie.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: 61S3l1Vjn5L._SL1296_.jpg (123KB, 1296x1109px) Image search: [Google]
61S3l1Vjn5L._SL1296_.jpg
123KB, 1296x1109px
I'm a pretty hands on guy (with computers and laptops), but recently I had aproblem with my tires. On one tire I kept having a slow leak and I finally fixed it by changing the "tpms kit" (the rubber and washer) of the valve stem. I bought the kit ($5) and I had to supervise this garage noob to replace the existing one. The garage owner was not pleased for him taking too long and tried to charge me $40 bucks for just changing the "tpms kit". Wow. I was pissed. So at least the leak has stopped on that tire, but all the other 3 tires are slowly leaking now? Is that even possible? Apparently. So I get this feeling I have to change the "tpms kit" for all the other tires to keep it balanced. Any ideas to fix/diagnose the problem? I want to get a bead breaker and pry bar and try to do it myself. So far I found this: https://www.amazon.com/PowerLift-Manual-Tire-Changer-8-18-1/dp/B000PTKONY/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1502218984&sr=1-2&keywords=tire+remover

and 2 of these: https://www.amazon.com/Ken-Tool-34645-Mount-Demount-Tire/dp/B000MIUJNI/ref=sr_1_10?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1502219435&sr=1-10&keywords=tire+iron.

Am I headed in the right direction? Any tips welcome. (Should I get one of those $900 tire mounter/dismounter and balancers on craigslist?) I don't want to scratch up my rims, yet I'm sick of getting bamboozled by these mechanics over easy shit, it's just that I don't have the equipment/tools to do so)
>>
>>1224325

You are either insane or an over-eager troll.

Post pics of the tpms kit, or any evidence to prove that you are insane.

the clue, where you went too far, was the "to keep it balanced" phrase. Try again in a week or two with some other topic.
>>
>>1224325
>Should I but a $900 tool to avoid spending $120

What the fuck do you think?
>>
>>1224325
ask your mechanic for a shot of black in the tire. He'll know you mean business and won't fuck with you.
>>
>>1224328
i'm not trolling and i guess to you im insane.
>>
>>1224332
well im thinking ahead in terms of changing the tpms sensors too, later on.
>>
>>1224334
funny
>>
>>1224339
Not really. You're spending $900 on something you may or may not use more than once.

>$160 a pop to get it done professionally and under warranty
>TPMS lasts an average of 5 years
>Takes 25 years to break even with that $900 investment
>Assuming the sensors don't last longer/changed when you get new tires/you just buy a new car
>>
>>1224346
yea that makes a lot of sense. i feel like i'm an autist sometimes. thank you for making that very clear.
>>
>>1224346
is it possible how one tire was mounted on the car can cause all the other 3 tires to keep losing air?
>>
>>1224349

Yes, on a tpms system they are all linked through the OBDII, and if one is low the OBDII will attempt to balance them all by bleeding the others. It makes your car more stable but leads to excessive tire wear if all four are flat.
>>
>>1224325
You can get a bead breaker for cheap.

You can get an air compressor for cheap.

You can replace the tpms all day.

But you can't get a balancer for cheap.

Stick to the shop.
>>
File: cheeseburgerfasdff.jpg (273KB, 600x769px) Image search: [Google]
cheeseburgerfasdff.jpg
273KB, 600x769px
>>1224371
>But you can't get a balancer for cheap.

this, a million times over.

the shadetree mechanic never ever changes a tire. He can do about everything else. but a 70 mph tire is best left to the ones who can press that button if need be, that button that you seldom press, the one over there that is labeled "add a shot of black".
>>
If you're here, you have an air compressor.
Probably an assortment of pry bars. You'd want the ones with plastic cover on one side so you don't fuck your shit up.
You probably have a manual garage jack and trailer straps.
Just do as in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exPx1aVkAF4
Take off your tires, replace the kit, inflate the tire until it pops back.
Usually you don't even have to take the tire all the way off to replace valves.
You'll get startled the first time, you'll probably sit on top of the tire and try to get some kind of a seal going to get it to pop back on the bead.
Don't put your fingers on the outer lip of the rim.
Last, but not least: TAKE YOUR WHEEL TO A GOD DAMN TIRE SHOP TO GET IT BALANCED YOU DOUBLE NIGGER
Choose the one with actual mechanics and not a dozen bumbling dropouts on slave pay
>>
Shouldn't need to rebalance unless you rotate tire on rim or add something heavy to it. You can bead brake by putting a 4x2 on the side and driving up it with a heavy car. A set of leavers help. Have re tubed a good few like that.
>>
>>1224409
>Shouldn't need to rebalance unless you rotate tire on rim or add something heavy to it.
white marker on the tire pointing to the valve before breaking the bead
align mark to valve before re-inflating - no re-balancing needed
>take care to not disturb any balance weights on wheel
>>
Breaking the bead is not the only problem you have re-seating the bead once done is a whore as well...I was a tire guy for years...it can be done....stop by we'll fire up the grill, you bring the beer and I'll teach you
>>
>>1224534
put a strap around it
or
inject a shot of starting fluid
not a big deal - i do it at home using a harbor freight bead breaker that looks just like the op pic
>>
>>1224534
Reseating the bead isn't hard. Just use the air hose chuck with the bare fitting on the valve stem with the valve removed.
>>
>>1224545
>put a strap around it

this works. he's referring to one of those ratchet straps wrapped around the outside of the tire along the tread so that when you tighten down it forces the beads to make contact with the wheel and you can inflate it.

the starting fluid trick works but looks dangerous to me but I'm a gril so what do I know.
>>
>>1224545
>>1224816
>>1224872
Idiots
>>
File: american_woman_2233444.jpg (152KB, 668x776px) Image search: [Google]
american_woman_2233444.jpg
152KB, 668x776px
>>1224890

lol. hi, and thanks for joining us tonight.
>>
>>1224408
>If you're here, you have an air compressor.

I've reseated a car tyre with a bicycle pump. Took forever but it worked. Yes it was tubed. When it pops on you don't want you fingers any where near it.
>>
>>1224325
Ive changed a lot of tires, a lot of different ways . If you are not familiar with doing it? Or do not have some one else with you that is familiar with doing it? I would suggest sticking to the shop. Maybe price out different shops. Depending on the type of tire that you have, you could do more damage than any dollar you could save. A low profile performance tire is going to be hard to break down without pnumatic equipment, and its easy as hell to tear the bead or scar a wheel with modern changers if you arent used to using one.
>>
>>1224332
>Should I but a $900 tool to avoid spending $120
>should I buy a ... tool

Obviously.

>>1224346
>Takes 25 years to break even with that $900 investment

You have the tool... why are you not doing tires every weekend for beer money?
>>
>>1224352
This is a lie
the sensors in tire only measure pressure nothing else
Know your stuff anon
- Anon from /o/
>>
>>1224325
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exPx1aVkAF4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRAS1A6eEV0

why spend $900? just /diy/ one
>>
>>1224325
>I'm a pretty hands on guy (with computers and laptops)

So, uh .. I'm trying to figure out how to build a new computer for playing games. I've decided the GeForce GTX 1060 is probably the graphics card I wanna go with but when I go to buy it from 3rd party vendors there are all these variations, some with 2 fans, some that are 'mini', other that are god knows what .. its so confusing. Do you think you could explain just what the hell Is going on? How do I find a normal card?
And whats with motherboards and processors? It's like I have to learn a whole list of manufactures and even a new language to understand this stuff. It's interesting and I'd like to understand it, but I'm just feeling pretty lost.
>>
>>1227078
But they are built into the valve stem. How about know what your talking about before you post yourself.
>>
Real tyre fitter sitting at work atm

Your an autist OP however they should only have charged you the going rate for a strip n fit nothing extra its a simple as shit job

If one goes they probably all will they werent magicly made to last longer then each other, next time do all at once one goes.

Best if you just pay the guys to do it, the machines for tyre fitting are exspensive as fuck
>>
>>1227078
Different anon, also a car tech. OBD2 systems don't bleed air from the stems to match the others.
>>
>>1228535
Who told you that crap, a blinker fluid salesman?
>>
>>1224371
tirefag here, and I agree with this.

With some skill, 2 spoon bars and a bead-breaker hammer, anyone can change a tire in the their garage.

But they best balance you will get is a one-side bubble balance if you try and do it yourself.

Absolutely do the mounting yourself if you can, but just pay $7 a tire for the high-speed balance, it is worth it.
>>
Alternate option, shitcan the stupid monitoring system. They are for idiots too inept to use a tire gauge. Put money saved to next set of tires.

Used tire machines can be had at auctions etc and parts for Coats especially are available, but everybody who races, offroads or has a small shop pays too much for them so even with my super scrounge skills I've not found one cheap enough to be worthwhile.

For serious info on tire mounting and balancing in home shops, goto Pirate 4x4 forums. /diy/ is mostly a place to be directed to useful fora.

There are endless car and truck forums covering everything in more detail than you may ever need, so use them. /diy/ is mostly for the lost or those with very niche questions. Do not bother with 4chan for ANY motor vehicle questions.

Now you know.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.