[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Guitar Build

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

I've sketched up and priced out a guitar I've been thinking about for a while - basically, it looks like an Epiphone Olympic archtop but has the neck and body constraints of an SG or Les Paul, so it would fit in a case. I'd want to have overwound humbuckers underneath a thin veneer on the top, to stay with the design of the original. No f holes, though. Is it worth $500-$600 and a decent bit of work to put this thing together? I don't have any large tools other than a Dremel and a miter saw. Pic Related
>>
>>1224040
It's going to cost more than that. This is a complex build. Dremel is useless here, miter saw might help with cutting the neck blank down to size. As to if it's worth putting together, that entirely depends on if you want to build it or not. Decreasing the size of the interior space down so it can fit in a les paul case isn't beneficial to sound or sustain. Veneer by definition is thin, the veneers you find for sale will rip like paper. I believe you're actually refering to lamination where you glue a piecer of wood on top of another, in this case something like an 8th of an inch(but bought from a millwork or whatever you're probably limited to 1/4 inch increments).
>>
Solid body electric with a carved top? Quite a bit more work than a plain slab body but much less than a semi-hollow body.

> thin veneer on the top
Like >>1224528 said, You're going to want at least 1/8" left on the other side of the routing.

>Is it worth $500-$600 and a decent bit of work to put this thing together?
Depends on how skilled you are and how much you value your time.

>Dremel and a miter saw
Largely useless. Look up TomboLP on youtube. He has quite a few videos on on building guitars with minimal hand tools on a cramped space.
>>
Thanks guys this is helpful

>>1224528

As for a neck blank, I'm definitely not going to try to make a neck for my first build. Warmoth and other companies make such good necks, I think it's probably worth the cash to have one made right and drilled correctly. For sound and sustain, I'm not actually trying to make a hollow body guitar, just an electric with the aesthetic of one. You're right about the veneer, I think. I'm referring to just putting a nice top of quilted maple or something over the pickups, which would be installed in a body made of Alder or something standard.

>>1224531

I'm fairly confident in my diy abilities, and I'm a professional musician so if I can produce a quality instrument I'd say the time was well spent. What do you mean 1/8" left "on the other side of the routing"? And thanks for the YouTube rec.
>>
>>1224786
>What do you mean 1/8" left "on the other side of the routing"?
You know how the pots and switches are mounted on a Les Paul in a rear routed cavity? You're going to want to do that with the pickup cavity as well. I'm not quite sure what you had in mind with the veneer, but that would be sealing the pickup along with the entire front face of the guitar. It would make it impossible to work with the pickup afterwords.
>>
>>1225006
Of course, the problem with this is getting a decent sound. Pickups, even overwound ones, need to be quite close to the strings to get a good sound, so if you factor in the top side of the body, you're not going to have much string clearance.

In addition, you'd be weakening the body in doing so.

Why not just use a piezo pickup at the bridge? Combine it with a good preamp and you could get a fine sound.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.